My wife and I gotta replace our 94 Pathy.
We are trying to decide between a 2001 pathy or 1st gen X.

We'd go with a first gen X (probably 2002-2003), but I'm leary of the VG series engines' manifold issues. Been there/done that so much with the 94 Pathy I just don't wanna deal with it any more. I've read the manifold threads here and is sounds like there's a good chance I'd be faced with that if I buy an X with say 40,000 miles and plan on keeping it 'till 100,000.

So - my question is - If I buy a used X from a nissan dealer (the same one I bought my 05 X from - I've got a good relationship with them) would it be unreasonable to negotiate a price, and then say as a condition of sale that I want the manifolds and manifold studs warranteed for parts and labor as long as I own the truck? I'm not a big fan of paying for service warrantees, and my only real concern is spending $$ on manifold repairs given the VG engine's history. I'm not knocking the engine by the way - no engine is perfect. Other than the manifold issues that engine was perfect in my 94 pathy.

One main reason I'm considering the 2001 pathy is that it's got the VQ engine. By the way, yes, I realize the 2001 pathy's are completely different than the older pathy's and X's (unibody vs body on frame, etc)