You could have gotten a lot of leverage on him. First of all, dealerships make a large portion of their money from used cars. New cars come with an MSRP that isn't a terrible amount above what they came from the factory for. ALWAYS go up on their offer for your used car. They normally try to make it sound like you're getting a great deal on the new one (and they are giving you one), but they hose you on the one you're trading in.

Also, many dealers are like this, unfortunately. The good thing is contacting them via email.

You tell them exactly what you want, and the price you will pay.

Then tell them that upon their inspection of your used vehicle, unless they can point out a good reason why the value is less, you expect to receive ($xxxx) for your trade.

Always negotiate the new car and the used car as two SEPARATE things. Dealers snag (and tactfully cost) customers by making them part of one big package.

Where do you live? My dad works with AutoNation, and he knows of good dealerships all around the country (especially in the gulf coast and southwest). He used to be a salesman for a Nissan dealership as well in Dallas.

EDIT: I see it's Swarthmore, PA.

unfortunately, my dad doesn't work in that region. be persistent, and don't let the dealership feel like they have the upper hand. let them know you don't want it to be a big huge process. You want to get in, get a car, and get rid of yours by XXXX date. smile