Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40299 - 15/08/03 07:44 PM Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember back in the days when I used to drive around with my father in his Corvettes. Anytime Vette owners would pass each other by they would wave. Sometimes just a subtle jesture of a hand or finger flip off the steering wheel while passing in opposite directions... other times you'd have a full arm extention and a distinct wave. I thought it was the coolest thing! Almost like being in an elite "club" and it was the secret handshake. You didn't have to know each other yet there was this bond among strangers based on the vehicle you were in.
Since getting my Xterra, I have waved to every fellow Xterra driver on the road. When I've been next to them I have given the head nod. None of these are ever returned.
The Xterra is such a unique vehicle that I had assumed us owners would be very similiar in personality to be drawn to it. I have found it sad that the bond is not there with all. At least not in my area.
Does anyone out there run into this same problem?

#40300 - 15/08/03 07:57 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
NY Madman Offline

Loc: Florida
Don't even bother. In an area like Chicago there has to be loads of Xterra's on the road. They are not that unique any more. Maybe this was the case 4 years ago. Now they are everywhere. Don't waste your time waving at other X's on the road. They may think you are a weirdo or something.

There are X's all over the place where I live and no one even gives a second glance.

If you pass someone with an XOC sticker... then make the effort to wave.

#40301 - 15/08/03 08:42 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Don't get many waves, but I do end up talking to owners in the parking lots.

#40302 - 15/08/03 08:48 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
LOSSisBack,

I comepletely understand your view. In the fall of 1979 my father purchased a new CJ-5 and for a seven year old there was nothing cooler than driving around in a Jeep. It was also common to acknowledge one another with a wave. I bought it from him as my first vehicle and noticed in the matter of 10 years the "wave" grew few and far. As for the X, I'll at least lift four fingers off the wheel when I get the chance. At least I made the effort and mabey one of them will pick up up on it.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#40303 - 15/08/03 09:57 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
I do the [Wave] all the time to us Xterra owners, some do wave back and some just look at me like, saying to themselves, "did I know that guy"...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#40304 - 15/08/03 10:02 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
R&R LOPEZ Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs (Security)
Rickster is right I wave all the time and they wave back so here is my [Wave]

FEAR NO ONE
RESPECT ALL

Life is but a Dream, Live it to its fullest!!!

#40305 - 15/08/03 10:26 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Bowski Offline

Loc: Great Lakes, IL
As a fellow X owner in the chicago area I feel your pain. But if you ever see a black X with a ARB and some inches under it give a wave and i'll gladly return it. If anything we just might have to start a chicagoxoc, so us clowns have something to drink about on the weekends. ,,,, Paul.

#40306 - 15/08/03 10:41 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the TX hill country, we wave to everyone smile

When I'm on my motorcycle, I wave at pretty much every rider, and they wave back... but it's a very unique crowd. You've got soccer moms, kids, etc... driving xterras around, so a lot of them aren't as into the cars as you guys, and don't apply "xterra owner" to their own identity like you guys do... and like motorcyclists (or classic car owners, etc) do. For the most part, only certain kinds of people tend to ride motorcycles, anyone can drive an xterra. does that make sense? that's how i see it, anyways

#40307 - 15/08/03 10:43 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
....thats odd, I was driving through Chicago the other day and some moron in a black X kept waving at me......oh....you mean that was you? [Freak]
Just kidding dude.....I do stare at every X that I pass.....seems like 50% of the guys stare back....NEVER see any females stare at a fellow X.....but my looks might have something to do with that! eek Though if I see someone who does seem to have the same "X Obsession" I do....I give a lil [Wave]

BRX

#40308 - 15/08/03 11:00 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's true lossisback, I fealt that way too, kinda like "the secret handshake" is gone. I do give a "hey, I own an X too" look at other owners. The other guys right too; women definitely do not give a look back, whereas most guys do. Hell, I was just commenting as I drive around Phoenix, I amuse myself while driving and I count how long it is before I see another X. Usually under a minute. Bring back the wave or institute a mandatory single digit salute, but be proud to drive your X! [Smoking]

#40309 - 15/08/03 11:12 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
most of the xterra drivers i see around are grocery moms, i think they'd just get distracted from driving if i waved at them anyways.
in my city if you look at someone from another car at a red light, they think you want to race or something. even if it's another suv owner.

#40310 - 15/08/03 11:33 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funny that this topic came up. Just today I saw a guy test driving an Xterra today and gave him a huge thumbs up as if to say "DUDE GET IT!!" He replied with a big grin and a wave. laugh [Wave] I'm betting he drove off the lot today with that brand new Xterra. Oh, i forgot to mention it was the same color as mine, only it was a 4X2. :p

2X4, doh!! :headslap: [LOL]

#40311 - 15/08/03 11:55 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Sherbert Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by GenX Timmy:
I'm betting he drove off the lot today with that brand new Xterra. Oh, i forgot to mention it was the same color as mine, only it was a 2X4.
He had a big piece of wood? confused

J/K laugh

My (now sold) 2003 SE-SC Xterra

#40312 - 16/08/03 06:07 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I usually do whenever I see one...

#40313 - 16/08/03 06:26 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
XTario Offline

Loc: Canada,QC
Well around here in Quebec I usually wave or give a good obviosu thumbs up.. I usually get it back..But I do have to go out of the way..
HOWEVER...often enough..I find myself packing with other X`s on the highway...and then when one pulls off an exit..we usually exchange a cool wave or glance with a thumbs up..happened the other day..But I have noticed...not too wave to anybody that doesn`t seem have that 'outdoorsy', look. These guys wave back..but the scrawny, nerdy looking chaps, that don't even notice another X behind or next to them...well they're just not in the same wave length..
Kind of the same thing as a Mustang 5.0 GT driver being next to a mustang v6..they're jsut no bond there. :ie Major discussion on the Mustang sites..V6 gusy want to be recognized by 5.0 litre guys..
anyway....
No insult intended to anyone fitting that depiction..but you guys know what I mean. Some guys look like the really do know what they're driving and especialy those with mods or racks etc...I,ll wave and usually talk to if I get a chance..But I won't waste my time waving to a Mom...that's all I need..a call to 9-1-1 for a guy chasing a Mom with the same truck wink

I also refer a lot of drivers to this website..a lot of people are interested and so they 'll give it a look.
I met a guy just the other day..2002 SE/SC and mentioned him the site...guy lives a few streets from my home...pretty cool.
Later guys..... [Wave]

#40314 - 16/08/03 08:59 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to know I'm not alone on the subject. Took a chance on throwing it out there.
How do I go about getting an XOC sticker for my ride?
As for the ChicagoXOC or a WindyCityXOC... I'm all there. There have been many time where I thought about printing out the home screen for this site and keeping a bunch of copies in my ride and slapping them on Xterra windshields or handing them to owners that I met. Would be nice to have something more local. I know there is a MadCity club out here that is for my area so I guess I'll have to look into that a bit more.
Thanks again for your repies. I hesitated to bring up the site this morning in fear that my post was going to be the sole post for the topic. I was getting geared up for all the flaming I was going to get. I'm just really jazzed about finally having an X. Been almost 2 years in the waiting!

#40315 - 16/08/03 09:05 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

I expected to have the same experiences when I got my X because they are bad@$$. I look at every X on the road, but I don't see too many people looking back. I do, however, end up talking to as many X owners as I can. [Wave] [Wave] GET IT!! is right.

#40316 - 16/08/03 09:14 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I too have people pull up to my truck in parking lots asking questions about what kind of lift, tires, aftermarket products can be found. Most people here have them to drive to the grocery store...

I always tell people about the XOC, it's a great place to start! wink

#40317 - 16/08/03 09:25 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by LOSSisBack:

How do I go about getting an XOC sticker for my ride?
There's a link on the XOC homepage; look for the XOC sticker and it says "XOC stickers are here!"

Keep waving at fellow X owners. It's their problem if they don't wave back.

[Wave]

#40318 - 16/08/03 10:04 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
speedfreak Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally posted by mcoker:
In the TX hill country, we wave to everyone smile

When I'm on my motorcycle, I wave at pretty much every rider, and they wave back... but it's a very unique crowd. You've got soccer moms, kids, etc... driving xterras around, so a lot of them aren't as into the cars as you guys, and don't apply "xterra owner" to their own identity like you guys do... and like motorcyclists (or classic car owners, etc) do. For the most part, only certain kinds of people tend to ride motorcycles, anyone can drive an xterra. does that make sense? that's how i see it, anyways
I ride motorcycles (crotch rockets) all over Hill Country and wave at all bikers I pass. If there is a group who doesn't return the wave it would have to be the Harley crowd. I don't know what it is about them, maybe they're too cool to wave at someone on a rice burner.

I also used to own a 1980 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. I could always count on an enthusiascit return wave from them.

#40319 - 16/08/03 10:38 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by speedfreak:
I ride motorcycles (crotch rockets) all over Hill Country and wave at all bikers I pass. If there is a group who doesn't return the wave it would have to be the Harley crowd. I don't know what it is about them, maybe they're too cool to wave at someone on a rice burner.
no kidding. half the time they'll wave back, and half the time they won't. I think they're too concerned with their image to wave, or another thing I've noticed is that most of them probably don't have enough riding ability to take one hand off the handlebars for a second [LOL]

#40320 - 16/08/03 11:25 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
This is funny. With cars I'm 100% against ricer fart cans, I'd take American muscle any day. But with motorcycles, I'm the other way around. I like Japness sportbikes much better than Harleys, even better than the European bikes! The Harley guys are just plain too stupid sometimes. They think that all other bikes are not bikes.

I still remember what the Undertaker from wrestling said one time: "I'd rather push an American bike down the street than ride in a Japness one" [Freak]

#40321 - 16/08/03 11:56 AM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
I wave, but then I am a weirdo... [Freak]
MV

#40322 - 16/08/03 12:37 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by speedfreak:

I also used to own a 1980 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. I could always count on an enthusiascit return wave from them.
I imagine the Harley thing is similiar to Jeeps. go try and wave at Jeeps while driving your FJ. I bet you get a few, but most won't.

My roommate has a Wrangler. When I'm in the passenger seat, I sometimes have the urge to flip off Jeeps as he waves to them. [Freak]
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#40323 - 16/08/03 06:22 PM Re: Waving to Xterra owners
huffy Offline

Loc: tennessee
My wife thinks I'm crazy because I wave at other Xterra drivers.Yesterday while at the Dealer getting the FORTH window repaired mad I saw this couple getting out of a new orange X after test driving it.I walked up and told them that they wouldn't be disappointed if they bought it.He asked my a bunch of questions about the truck and I ended up going over the truck with him for about 15 minutes.Last I saw of him he was going to sign the papers.I think I need the commission for that sale laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal