Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#602101 - 31/08/07 02:19 PM Gunnison, CO and other trails closures
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know we have a land use forum, and feel free to move it there in a few days, but this area gets more traffic and this is urgent.

The forest service is proposing a major closure of mostly motorcycle single track trails in the Gunnison, CO area. Comments are due today, and can be e-mailed to r2_gmug_gunnison_travel@fs.fed.us

The entire nasty plan can be viewed here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/gmug/policy/travel_mgmt/gun/index.shtml

Just look at the maps, proposed closures would include approx. 80 - 90% of all existing routes. Of the ones remaining open, many would be seasonal.

Land and trail closures are becoming rediculous. Groups (well, asshats from groups like the Sierra Club, SUWA...) are pressuring the forest service and they are caving to incredible demands.

Moab is greatly threatened, Gunnison is currently on the chopping block. I am loosing a trail next year that is within a few miles of work (Carnage Canyon will be closed by this time next year).

We, as user in one form or the other, need to get together and be heard. We need to team up with motorcyclists, ATVers and the like to stop this BS from happening. IT IS PUBLIC LAND.

#602102 - 31/08/07 02:34 PM Re: Gunnison, CO and other trails closures
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's the few that reek havoc for the many unfortunately. Just takes a couple of ass hats throwing their empty beer cans and or being dumbsses and going off of the trails to cause an issue for us folks who respect the trails. Same problem here in AZ.

#602103 - 31/08/07 02:53 PM Re: Gunnison, CO and other trails closures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Signed and sent.

I keep asking the forest to require some sort of ID/Plates for ATVs and Motorcycles. I have pics of people going off trail but there is no way to truly Identify em. I have turned in other Licensed vehicles and turned in a pic of them off trail and a zoom of the plates, this goes over great and the NFS issues a ticket to the violator.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal