Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#629072 - 16/05/05 08:11 PM Sony unveils PlayStation 3
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Hot on the heels of the Xbox 360 announcement...

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/16/technology/personaltech/e3_sony/index.htm?cnn=yes

Let the games begin!!!

#629073 - 16/05/05 10:50 PM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
This is Sony's only strategy... last to market, last to unveil, and the best they can do is say 'WAIT UP FOR US GUYS' ... it's such a load of crap.

I'll bet the first six months of the PS3 will be just as god-awful as the first six months of the PS2, so they might as well go ahead and release it without any games at all -- same freakin' difference.

With that said, I'll probably still wind up getting one, as well as a Xbox Deuce, and whatever crapbox Nintendo puts out.

But I won't like it.

#629074 - 16/05/05 11:54 PM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
The PS3 controller doubles as a boomerang too! laugh

#629075 - 17/05/05 02:03 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
This is Sony's only strategy... last to market, last to unveil, and the best they can do is say 'WAIT UP FOR US GUYS' ... it's such a load of crap.[/i]
True, the first actually year or so of the PS2 was nothing to write home about. Sad as it is to say, Sony can afford to say, "Wait for us", because they have the best games and the bigger fanbase. By a country mile.

Hopefully this time they do it right. Personally, I think the new system looks just as good as the 360, I fucking love it. After seeing some developmental cuts, this system is going to be hot.

Here's what it looks like lying down, BTW.

#629076 - 17/05/05 02:11 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Origami Gangsta Offline

BTW, here\'s some trailers for future PS3 games. Killzone looks OUTSTANDING! [ThumbsUp]

#629077 - 17/05/05 04:54 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

PS3 specs are twice as powerful as xbox 360. Xbox is garbage and PS3 will kick some major ass this time. Plus every game from playstation 1 and 2 will be playable on the system. PS3 will feature the new cell processor running at 3.2 ghz and have the GPU power of slight over two nvidia 6800 Ultra grahpic cards (which cost around $1,000 right now). The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, Internet access, digital photo viewing, and digital audio and video. Since the console has two HD outputs, it is can be hooked up to two side-by-side HDTVs to projecting video in a 32:9 extra-widescreen format.

PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

Playstation 3-X---------------------xbox 360

#629078 - 17/05/05 05:13 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
What, you mean they're not just going to update the graphics engine, change the case and keep everything the same including the controllers like last time? [Uh Oh !] Looks cool, but they're still going to lose out. They have to release it in Japan first so who knows when it will get here. It makes since that it's connnected with the iPod... both are overpriced when you can get something that does the same thing with more features for less. [LOL]

#629079 - 17/05/05 05:18 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also I believe you will be able to use your PSP as a controller and take advantage of using the screen on the PSP as a secondary (some what like DS). Plus if sony does it right, one of the biggest features will be NOT paying to play online. Sony will win this round, nuff said.

#629080 - 17/05/05 05:31 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

27 or so Million sales for xbox... almost 90 million for PS2... not really a contest is it? Xbox sales are lagging so far behind it's almost a moot point to talk about them compared to Sony's sales.

#629081 - 17/05/05 05:36 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Origami Gangsta Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Looks cool, but they're still going to lose out. They have to release it in Japan first so who knows when it will get here.
To who? Xbox? Bwhahahaha! [LOL]

Please. Facts are the facts. Xbox tried to take the throne this time around, and ended up choking on the dust of the PS2. And while I'm all for competition, and it's great to see Box fans have their loyalty, the truth need not be distorted.

Sony has the support, they have the games, and they have the comparable if not better technology. Their periphials are hands down more abundant than Xbox, and when you consider the fact that there are over 13000 titles for just the PSone and PS2 alone, it's no contest.

PS3 for teh win.

#629082 - 17/05/05 06:37 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
27 or so Million sales for xbox... almost 90 million for PS2... not really a contest is it? Xbox sales are lagging so far behind it's almost a moot point to talk about them compared to Sony's sales.
And how long was the Xbox released after the PS2 debut? 2 years after the Japan release?

The big surprise there is the fact that Xbox took away that many sales. They even beat out Nintendo. When the two new systems are released, then you can "fairly" compare the two numbers.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris..:
To who? Xbox? Bwhahahaha! [LOL]

Please. Facts are the facts. Xbox tried to take the throne this time around, and ended up choking on the dust of the PS2. And while I'm all for competition, and it's great to see Box fans have their loyalty, the truth need not be distorted.
Loyal to XBox? Hell no. I'm not one of those Apple/Sony guys that buy the overpriced product because it's an Apple/Sony. Please. I'm actually a "smart" buyer. I buy a product that gets you more bang for your buck and is still comparable quality. Xbox didn't try to take the throne. They knew there was no chance of that with their late start. They just tried to take a chunk out of the market and it was a great success. THIS time they are trying to take the thrown and will most likely do so... it will be very close though.
Quote:
Sony has the support, they have the games, and they have the comparable if not better technology. Their periphials are hands down more abundant than Xbox, and when you consider the fact that there are over 13000 titles for just the PSone and PS2 alone, it's no contest.

PS3 for teh win.
Well, have fun playing your PSone and PS2 games. [Freak] Me, I'm going to take advantage of the new technology and play the new generation of games. Why don't you just go back to playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong if you feel that way? [LOL] I love that arguement from they loyal Sony guys. We have more games. Yeah, well, to bad their old. The same new games will be released for both systems. What's the point of even getting a new system if you're going to play PSone and PS2 games?

I'll give you the periphials are better. That's because the Xbox has their periphials included and integrated in. By the time you were done buying all the periphials for the PS2 to equal the same as the XBox, you could have had two PS2's and a few games.

Finally, yes... the techonology is very comparable. That's why I like to get the system that has more bang for your buck. [ThumbsUp]

BTW, are there any early price quotes for these systems? I heard they were going to be around $500. eek

#629083 - 17/05/05 06:53 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Tonka Ross Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris..:
...and it's great to see Box fans have their loyalty...
I'm a HUGE fan of box. laugh

I agree with Tats on this one. The number of titles out for the PS2 alone won me over. Talking to the guys at work about this new game or that new game, and they're all, "is it out on Xbox?". Hell no. Buy a real console - Gates has enough money, anyway.

Hey Chris - PM me - I need some help on somptin', you nasty crack whore. Thank you.

Spanky!

#629084 - 17/05/05 06:55 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well, have fun playing your PSone and PS2 games. Me, I'm going to take advantage of the new technology and play the new generation of games. Why don't you just go back to playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong if you feel that way? I love that arguement from they loyal Sony guys. We have more games. Yeah, well, to bad their old. The same new games will be released for both systems. What's the point of even getting a new system if you're going to play PSone and PS2 games?
Yea ok??? Of course people playing PS3 will take advantage of the new games, duh! Its the fact that playstation has sooo man classic games that people love to play and now instead of saving there old system they can use the new one.

Quote:
Finally, yes... the techonology is very comparable. That's why I like to get the system that has more bang for your buck.
The PS3 specs are more powerful then the 360's specs so how is that comparable, and how is that getting more bang for your buck??

Once again sony for the win.

#629085 - 17/05/05 07:50 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm gonna buy both and stack them ontop of eachother! lol. There - Problem solved. Xbox 360 & PS3 gracing my entertainment center.

Anyone know what kind of pricepoint they are looking at for either yet? Looking at the hardware involved I'd put the Xbox 360 pre-christmas release at $499 and they will sell the shit out of it. If you get a chance to buy one before Christmas, buy it and sell it on Ebay for $1000 - Then buy yourself another one after Christmas. Or at least buy 2 and sell 1! lol

#629086 - 17/05/05 08:39 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
MaloCS Offline

Real men game on the PC. Consoles are for kids. wink

#629087 - 17/05/05 08:52 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Good man! Got my gaming PC and gaming Laptop for on the go fighting!

#629088 - 17/05/05 09:35 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mostly_Harmless:
Yea ok??? Of course people playing PS3 will take advantage of the new games, duh! Its the fact that playstation has sooo man classic games that people love to play and now instead of saving there old system they can use the new one.
I guess it's different for everyone else. Personally, I don't see the fun of playing older games when I have newer games. If it's a must, than most likely you can just play it on the PC. That's how it's been for me anyway. If I beat a game, get tired of it because of a newer one, or whatever the case may be... I'll put it on eBay and use that money towards new games.
Quote:
The PS3 specs are more powerful then the 360's specs so how is that comparable, and how is that getting more bang for your buck??

Once again sony for the win.
Um no. They're using different technology to acheive their speeds. You're listening to the biased opinions. Both are very comparable and where one is better, you won't notice a difference between the two unless that's your job. Kind of like how a musician can here things the average listener can't. "Bang for your buck" comes with what you get out of the box. I'm not talking about the new systems because we still don't know exactly what we're going to get. This is all hype. I was talking about how the XBox had everything included where you had to go out and buy a bunch of crap (periphials) for the PS2 just to have a similar product. I imagine Sony will step it up this time since the XBox will be released first, but boy your PS2ers were taken for a ride.

#629089 - 17/05/05 09:46 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Damn straight!

Have both the ps2 and xbox and they both suck ass compared to the PC. Online play, single player, types of games, customization of game play, etc. etc.. PC blows them away.

#629090 - 17/05/05 11:21 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Damn straight!

Have both the ps2 and xbox and they both suck ass compared to the PC. Online play, single player, types of games, customization of game play, etc. etc.. PC blows them away.
I agree for FPS games. I don't understand how and why people love to play FPS games on the console. You just can't beat the ol' keyboard and mouse. I love the consoles for racing and sports games.

#629091 - 17/05/05 11:43 AM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Hardware specs don't matter.

Game quality and having better developers does. At this point, they may as well consolidate with EA and make one console. All the flashy graphics in the world don't count for crap if the game itself is bland, boring, easy, and completely uninteresting.

Sony's in-house devs haven't released anything even remotely good that doesn't start with "Gran" and end in "Turismo". The PS2 thrives on EA reissues of sports games and GTA. Everything else is just filler.

The Xbox is a bizarre system, with a lot of people going apeshit over game genres that don't belong on consoles at all to begin with, or cross-ports from the PS2 (often a bit later and having half-assed 'extras' Microsoft demands all Xbox ports have). The best part about the Xbox is that it's basically a dirt-cheap PC that can be easily and inexpensively modded to do a myriad of unintended tasks.

I used to like video games frown

#629092 - 17/05/05 12:20 PM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Origami Gangsta Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Well, have fun playing your PSone and PS2 games. [Freak] Me, I'm going to take advantage of the new technology and play the new generation of games. Why don't you just go back to playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong if you feel that way? [LOL] I love that arguement from they loyal Sony guys. We have more games. Yeah, well, to bad their old. The same new games will be released for both systems. What's the point of even getting a new system if you're going to play PSone and PS2 games?
I should have been clearer in what I was saying. The reason why I brought out the numbers were that PS has and incredible library (both great and terrible) that dwarfs the other two systems. And that will continue on. Game companies are like movie companies, they go where the money is. Sony has the overwhelming numbers in games now, that will only continue into the next generation, in my opinion.

And since they have a much larger stock in games, logic stands that every once in a while the true gems will come out and change the genre. I'm currently getting my ass handed to me by my lady in THUG 2 right now (I used to be good at it, not usre WTF is going right now), but I'm still looking to get my hands on God of War. Played it a little bit and it's fookin' awesome.

It'll be interesting, and like always, competition brings out the best in everyone. I agree with Tremor that EA is just beyond ridiculous, and shame on the NFL for signing a exclusitivity agreement with them. But money talks I guess.

#629093 - 17/05/05 02:33 PM Re: Sony unveils PlayStation 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

i preorderd 2 360's today. me for teh win!

i will be saving one if good games are out for it when its released. otherwise i will sell both and wait till halo 3 is released then buy me another one!

ill also buy ps3 eventually.

the nice thing about ps3 is that is backwards compatable with all games where xbox 360 will only play the really popular xbox games...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal