Just got back from a ~1000 mile trip to upstate NY pulling a trailer. Great trip. Very dry up north. FIrst long haul with this xterra and I noted that on those looong hills on I-81 in PA, the tranny (auto) would, as expected, downshift from OD to (I assume) 4th, when goosing it to keep from being eaten by the big trucks. The tach would jump from ~2200 to ~3000, as would be expected. However, on a couple of occasions, it seemed to downshift AGAIN (if goosed further) and the rpms would jump to ~4000. Presumably this last downshift went to 3rd. All the speeds were not less than 55-60 mph. Every time afterwards it would shift back up normally to OD once the load was off. A couple of times after the downshift-upshift sequence, I noticed that distinct odor of clutch (or perhaps brake pad).

My questions are: should it downshift that far (to 3rd) at the speeds noted? Was that smell a coincidence, like brakes or clutch from the big rigs or did it come from me (my truck, that is)? The X auto tranny doesn't have a pressure plate like like a conventional manual, does it?
The tranny fluid was fine before and after. No change in level or color or odor.
Your comments