Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#259279 - 13/10/01 06:06 PM tire/wheel size and speedo readings
JtaoJ Offline

Loc: Layton, Utah
Hey all, I am running stock 15s. I am going to snag some SE 16s I think. What will it do to my speedo readings/accuracy? I keep seeing that the grabbers on those wheels are not that good?

#259280 - 14/10/01 09:01 AM Re: tire/wheel size and speedo readings
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Jtaoj:
What will it do to my speedo readings/accuracy?
To answer your question: the speedo is not concerned with what wheel size you run but the overal diameter of the tire touching the ground. Meaning that if you go with a larger diameter tire your speedo will show slightly slower than your actual speed.

To further help you, please add things to your post like:
1.) What your trying to accomplish. ie: better looks, better handling, etc..
2.) 2x4 or 4x4, if you off road and may want to go with larger tires I would not suggest a 16, you have a much larger selection of tires and rims in the 15 size and they will be functionally better as well. (more rubber between your rim and the rocks.)
3.) Keep in mind, any aftermarket rim that you put on (I'm assuming aftermarket is what you will be looking at) will likely cause some rubbing since I'm not aware of one that has the proper offset / backspacing.
4.) If you update your profile to state 2x2 or 4x4 you won't have to put it in every post, we can just look, see, and help.
5.) THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE OF ALL..... change your profile to say "Solar Yellow" instead of "sunburst yellow" so you don't get flamed by the meticulous fanatics here. wink

I hope this helps, and if you want to post some of the other information, I will check back later. laugh

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Craigs_Tonka ]

#259281 - 14/10/01 12:33 PM Re: tire/wheel size and speedo readings
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
You see that is hospital mgmt never quite getting it right. Sunburst yeller...sheesh!! laugh

#259282 - 14/10/01 12:53 PM Re: tire/wheel size and speedo readings
JtaoJ Offline

Loc: Layton, Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
To answer your question: the speedo is not concerned with what wheel size you run but the overal diameter of the tire touching the ground. Meaning that if you go with a larger diameter tire your speedo will show slightly slower than your actual speed.

To further help you, please add things to your post like:
1.) What your trying to accomplish. ie: better looks, better handling, etc..
2.) 2x4 or 4x4, if you off road and may want to go with larger tires I would not suggest a 16, you have a much larger selection of tires and rims in the 15 size and they will be functionally better as well. (more rubber between your rim and the rocks.)
3.) Keep in mind, any aftermarket rim that you put on (I'm assuming aftermarket is what you will be looking at) will likely cause some rubbing since I'm not aware of one that has the proper offset / backspacing.
4.) If you update your profile to state 2x2 or 4x4 you won't have to put it in every post, we can just look, see, and help.
5.) THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE OF ALL..... change your profile to say "Solar Yellow" instead of "sunburst yellow" so you don't get flamed by the meticulous fanatics here. wink

I hope this helps, and if you want to post some of the other information, I will check back later. laugh

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Craigs_Tonka ]

Sheesh...such picky folks smile

OK, good suggestions by all. Now, actually, I have a line on some stock SE 16"ers for a good price. I am running styled steels. I haven't found an aftermarket style I like. I would plan on doing the stock tires that came with the wheels, which are the Grabbers. My rig is a 4x4 auto. so back to my two original questions...will the stock wheels mess with my speedo? Do the Grabbers suck? I hadn't thought about the rim damage off roading. I have done a bunch, but with teh stock wheels. I did wipe out a tire in my old 4-runner, which could just have easily been the rim.

Tx. again.

#259283 - 14/10/01 12:55 PM Re: tire/wheel size and speedo readings
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Craigs, I believe from his post he was asking about a factory 16in wheel from an SE. So to answer the question you wont have any problems with the wheel itself but it depends on the tire size you opt to go with.

#259284 - 14/10/01 01:24 PM Re: tire/wheel size and speedo readings
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
No flames intended. I was just trying to get the best information prior offering up advice. (contrary to what most people do around here) Since you are running stock rims, rubbing won't be a concern, as far as the speedo, if you run stock tires the adjustment amount would be so minimal I wouldn't even be concerned with it.

Happy trails... laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal