Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#267776 - 06/02/03 06:44 AM Steering stabilizer woes
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I recently changed my oil on a fluke 60 degree day we had here in Indianapolis. I have an aftermarket steering stabilizer that I installed about 6 months ago. I found that the edge of the washer that holds the shock to the centerlink was wearing on the metal hoop that holds the differential to the front of the truck. (The hoop where the diff bushing is) It looks like someone went at it with a metal file. It is not bad, 1/16th of an inch, but I bet if I left it on there longer, something bad would have happened. Everyone with a stabilizer - [Uh Oh !] look out [Uh Oh !] - I think it was probably the whole suspension moving back and forth as well as side to side (the steering). I think that a steering upgrade will help with this, but I don't plan on re-installing the piece. I also started a thread about welding a steering stabilizer tab on a aftermarket centerlink to utilize both, but I got some posts that said that the stabilizer wasn't necessary with the aftermarket kit. I would also like to add that everything was tight and had not moved from the original mounting position, so I have to deduce that it has to be everything moving around due to a weak steering set-up.
[Huh?]
Does this make any sense?

#267777 - 06/02/03 07:45 AM Re: Steering stabilizer woes
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I have an aftermarket stabilizer too (EOE). I do not have this problem. Try rotating the centerlink stabilizer mount down (or up) a little bit. I have 1/16" gap between the mount and the front diffenrential mount. I turned the wheels lock-to-lock and it did not touch it.

What make stabilizer do you have?

Stone

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal