Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#500472 - 16/01/06 03:47 PM Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Need some help with this decision (sorry about the lenght).

First, background. I lifted the X a year ago with Calimini's 3in susp. kit. It has performed fairly well but I do have issues. After two aligmnets the front tires wear like crazy on the inside of the tire (outside of tire looks perfect, inside worn almost all the way to solid rubber)- but it did this before the lift. I crammed 32s under there, and they now rub pretty badly when turning downhill (when the susp is being compressed. I also took off both sway bars, which mean the truck drives like a drunk.

So... I went to Moab a few weeks ago(the X did awsome), but I did a little damage. I tore both my front CV boots off, exposing the CVs and axle shaft to dirt/water... My mechanic wants $1200 to repleace the front axle and do the brakes, alignment, so on.

Or I could just replace the soon to be busted front axle with a Calmini SAS. However, I can not do the work myself - no mechanical skills at all. This adds to the cost (which I figure to be about $7000 with install)

For people with Calmini's SAS kit - would you ever go back? Was it worth the large chunk of money? Will it end up being a never ending slippery slope (as in once i do the swap will other things start to break)? Does it drive alright? Was there a large expenditure that you did not plan for?

I know this is a decision that only I could make, but I am hoping for some guidance from some people who actually know what they are doing, as I do not (my first 4x4).

SO... if you had a 3in lift with a few problems and looking at $1000 to fix it, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

#500473 - 16/01/06 06:00 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
OnlyOneDR Offline

Rebuilt CV shafts will set you back all of $200 or so at the auto parts store.

A lifetime alignment from Firestone is $149ish.

Front brake pads are $25, rotors will run extra if you really need them.

WHERE THE HECK IS YOUR MECHANIC GETTING $1200!?!?!??!?

Seriously, you could buy a heck of a lot of beer and steaks and have a big "XOC fix my truck" party with lots of people coming over to help out and you would still spend less than half that.

Bad wear on the *inside* of the tires? Sounds like a toe issue since most every nissan I have ever seen wears even or on the outsides because of a camber issue. Either that or your front end isn't cranked up enough to make the camber right.

Post up your alignment specs (if you have them from the last time it was done).

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#500474 - 16/01/06 06:04 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should really start doing some of your own work. Lack of mechanical skills can be covered for with the ability to pay attention to what you're doing and spending time under your truck to understand its workings, how it comes apart, how to make adjustments, etc. Depending on where you are, I'm sure there are other Nissan owners who can spend that time with you providing pointers.

I say this because I almost choked on my water when you indicated $1200 to fix the front end when it, at the worst, requires $300-400 in parts, worst case.

The kit isn't that bad to install, and the skills you earn doing the work yourself can very likely save your arse on the trail someday when something breaks.

#500475 - 16/01/06 06:21 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

REPLACING CV ASSEMBLY

-Removed hub
-removed snap ring
-loosened UCA ball joint bolts
-removed brake caliper (piston held open w/ zip tie); set on UCA out of way
-removed steering stop bolt (to allow rotor to move forward further)
-removed bottom shock bolt, and loosened top nut
*all of that allows LCA to drop providing enough room for insertion*

-removed remainder of grenaded assembly
-Slid new assembly into place
-replace bolts into cage
-replace snap ring
-replace hub
-replace ball joint to UCA
-replace brake calipers
-replace steering stop bolt
-tighten shock back down

smile

A SFA XTERRA is a pretty nice 1st 4wd [ThumbsUp] .. You might want to drive offroad a bit more with what you've got now and see if it's something you really enjoy. It's a pay to play sport and if you, as stated, are incapable of working on your own vehicle, the bills will add up exponentially. Be careful what you wish for..
[Smoking]

#500476 - 16/01/06 10:29 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is an awesome setup...

Doing the SAS is a huge project. Remember that you will still have to find an axle and prep it. If you have no mechanical skills, this will add to the costs.

Figure most shops will want $70+ an hour for labor, so get ready to dish out some serious $$$ Possibly $2k+ to have somebody do the install, and maybe $1k+ more to do your axle prep. If you are going to have this completly done for you, figure in the $7-8k+ range once it is all said and done.

Here is an example of what I spent:

Dana 44 axle $550
Warn Hubs $100
New Rotors $60
New Calipers w/pads $90
Yukon 4.88 gears $140
ARB Locker $695

Calmini SAS $1800
Fox Coilovers $900
Sway Bar Kit $450
CV Shaft $450
Rear Springs $450

This doesn't include lots of other little stuff I had to purchase. Now I did do some options such as the locker, sway bars etc, but this is definatly a huge undertaking. Also remember once you go SAS you can't go back.

#500477 - 16/01/06 11:26 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I say this because I almost choked on my water when you indicated $1200 to fix the front end when it, at the worst, requires $300-400 in parts, worst case.
The balance is made up by the ultra expensive 29ml of imported german Mehr Geldreibungsabzieher lube that will be used at your arrival at cash register.

#500478 - 17/01/06 10:26 AM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

To all that have responded so far- thank you.

I really would really love to learn how to work on my truck. I actually tried to put the 3in lift on myself - got the rear done, then got blindsided by the torsion bars, and had to get a shop to finish. One of the biggest problems I face is that I live in a house without a garage, in an area with snow on the ground all winter. It sucks to work on a truck in zero degree weather. That and I severly lack good tools, and patience.

Is the SAS front suspension "easier" to work on? It seems much simpler, not as compact... If i had someone do the axle prep, how hard is the rest of the front end?

Again, thanks for the guidance; someday with a little help I may be able to know what I am doing.

#500479 - 17/01/06 11:08 AM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

IT's all disassembly, then a fair amount of cutting and grinding (far and away the most time consuming part), and the rest all bolts together like an erector set. The only other fab work is to get the bracketry correctly welded to the axle....if you're not a competent welder, get this part done by a pro.

#500480 - 17/01/06 02:14 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll try to help out as much as possible Branden.

I was trying to help out with just putting new boots back on, but the labor for cleaning the exposed joints and tearing the drive shaft apart to put new boots on kind of gets up there.

If you want to, get new front axles (NAPA is a good place, don't know the prices of them though) and I can put them in for you before I align your rig. We get folks coming in all the time, bringing their parts in for us to install, so no biggy.

I think I can set up your alignment for you, no problem. I've done a ton of 'em, and do all the lifted ones in the shop.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. PM me if you want to.

#500481 - 17/01/06 02:23 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Feel free to ask anyone on RMXC for help too if you need it, we're more than happy to get a lil' greasy to help a fellow X'er out [Wave]

#500482 - 17/01/06 04:20 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Allen - thanks for taking the time on the phone today.

I think I am gunna need a few nights to figure this one out (beer and mary jane are awful insightful as well). Three options:
1. Drive vehicle into ground - wait to fix axle once it breaks due to wear (maybe SAS at that point down the road)
2. Fix full axle and CVs - set up lift correctly in the front this time (should have just gone to Allen to begin with) and hope it holds
3. Rip out front end and go with SAS - hope this fixes all problems

Problems: I might be too inexperienced a driver for a SAS, too aggresive a driver for IFS (I already broke it once). Don't want to spend $$ to fix it, to throw it away in a year or two when I do the SAS anyway

Well, I am off to seek the wisdom of a bong named Squid [Smoking] . Thanks again for all your help guys - look at it this way: training the noobies right, so we don't grow up to drive Jeeps.

#500483 - 17/01/06 04:42 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Branden Burden:
- look at it this way: training the noobies right, so we don't grow up to drive Jeeps.
got to be the best line ive read in a long time. you get a fiver just for that comment.

#500484 - 18/01/06 06:57 AM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Replacing CV shafts (what you're talking about w/ the ripped boot) is almost as easy as an oil change, after the first time. I've gotten it down to about a 20 minute job, by myself. It's really, really simple, with the only "special" tool needed is snap ring pliers. It honestly doesn't take any time at all, and a brand new CV shaft from any local auto parts store will only cost between $100 and $120, tops.

Whatever that mechanic is smoking, please feel free to send some my way. His proposed charges are higher than the highest paid surgeon... My guess, is he's trying to take you, because he knows you'll just pay the money, and be done with it. Even if you're going to have someone else do it, my recommendation is to take it to someone else, and get another estimate. This guy is taking you for a ride.

#500485 - 19/01/06 03:54 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright, a decision has been made.

I am going to fix the current front end, and add a few mods instead:

2" Body Lift - to fix wheel stuffing issues
Calmini roof rack
Calmini rear bumper
Rear ARB w/ resevoir tank and tire filling port out of rear bumper (don't exactly know how to accomplish that)
CB radio
Shrockworks front bumper

Decided to try to "dial in" the current set up. Also figures that outside of the ARB I think I can install everything else.

SAS seemed a little over my head, and is too much $$ to do any other mods listed above as well.

Allen- you will be getting a call from me soon.

#500486 - 19/01/06 04:12 PM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I talked to my boss, Branden, and he agreed to take care of you. We'll treat you a helluva lot better than Boulder and AutoNation will!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, and I'll hook you up. wink

#500487 - 20/01/06 09:06 AM Re: Fix current lifted front end or SAS?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I think you're going the right route... get more familiar with what you've got, start learning about the truck (read the factory service manual... amazing how much you'll pick up) - and then maybe SAS it a couple years down the road.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal