Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#95886 - 01/09/06 12:46 AM Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Guys had my X for about a year now and looking to get into the 4wheeling seen with this car. who knows a good lift i can put on it? i talked to 4wheel and they said a 4inch rancho was one of the only lifts i could put on it. if you know more please let me know cause i would like to have this on before winter season so i can hit up the mud. thanks a bunch.

#95887 - 01/09/06 12:44 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
4 Wheel Parts doesn't now jack about Nissans... get acquainted with the search feature and take a thorough look around this board - you'll find more info than you can shake a pointed stick at.

Some places you'll want to check out:
http://www.4x4parts.com
http://www.purenissan.com
http://www.shrockworks.com
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/

#95888 - 05/09/06 07:37 AM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone has to say it...don't call it a car laugh

#95889 - 05/09/06 03:47 PM Re: Kinds of lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Rancho makes the worst lift of all.

The other lifts available (All good 3" SL) are from:

Calmini
SLR
AC

There are Body Lifts (BL) as well as Suspension Lifts (SL).

There are taller lifts, and various performance diferences...and price ranges.

You can spend between $169 and about $8k for example.

Two key Questions:

1. Are you lifting for cosmetic reasons, or to go off road? ("Hitting up the mud" doesn't tell me if you are in need of larger tire room, or ground clearance, or both, or if you off road, or just drive on muddy areas, etc...)

2. How much money are you willing to spend?

laugh

There is no one "Best Lift", as each is best for some applications.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#95890 - 05/09/06 08:52 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

for the pre 2005's Rancho ONLY makes a 2.5" TJ is correct in the fact that ALL lifts are (almost) the same. the 3 others are ~3". If you are thinking you will high center, get the SL. If you just want bigger tires, the the BL. If you want both.. you get the idea.

#95891 - 05/09/06 09:31 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rancho = dog shit IMHO but there's at least one person on this board that swears by it.

The "best lift" totally depends on what you want to do with the X, as others have said.

For instance, if you're looking to desert run get the Total Chaos long travel system (that's a lot of coin tho) if you're just looking for more height the best bang for your buck is the PML (poor man's lift) which consists of either extra leafs or longer shackles for the rear and cranking the torsion bars up front to match (~1.5" lift)

Then comes the body lift, which is a cheap 2" this will not get your frame any higher off the ground, just the body.

For rock crawling (you really do need to learn to crawl before you walk) you should wheel the crap outa your IFS system (I ran no lift for the first three years and have been running a PML for the last two) and if you like it and have reached your boundaries, then go with the SAS (Solid Axle Swap). This gets you tons more articulation and rock crawling ability, but is NOT reversible as you actually have to cut your IFS mounting points off to make it work.

Hope this helps [Wave]

#95892 - 05/09/06 11:29 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

The things i do the most is drive on the dunes and when winter season 4 wheel in the mountains/snow so im guessing i would need more tired clearance. i want to put around 33's on it. right now i have the stock stuff and i slide and sometimes hit front bumper on the dunes depending on how steep it is. but im learning. thanks for your replies guys helping already.

#95893 - 05/09/06 11:31 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

i liked the 3'sl with the cali looked good just going to take alot to do it. that be agood lift for what im doing?

#95894 - 06/09/06 05:34 AM Re: Kinds of lift
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
It doesn't sound like a lift is worth it for you...you are not really doing anything a lift would improve as much as other mods would.

For sand, you want big fat tires...so you need a BL, not an SL, as the SL won't let you stuff the big tires.

ONLY larger tires will raise your diffs, so only a BL will let you do that.

In dunes and whoop de doops, one tends to fully compress the suspension, on landing, etc....and you NEED the tires to fit into the wells to do that.

laugh

As its the front bumper hitting on approach, raising the body will improve your approach angle, mitigating that problem.

If you do a 2" BL, you can run 33's for example. A 3" would allow 35's with massive trimming...but make it hard to make the bumper's match w/o a gap, and take more of a committment time/effort-wise.

That's the cheapest way to improve your performance. (BL + Big Ass Tires)

BL's do not raise the center of gravity enogh to notice, as the body is light when compared to the MUCH heavier frame, drive train, etc.

If you get an SL, it raises your center of gravity, which on dunes, etc...makes off camber situations more hairy/increases the odds of a roll over. (3" is not an extreme lift, and the extra hairy-ness is relative to a stock height rig...)

Adding a PML would be a cheap extra margin of frame clearance, and probably worth it.

So - for what you describe, a 2" BL, Big Ass Tires, and a PML, is the cheap seat.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#95895 - 06/09/06 08:34 AM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

In dunes and whoop de doops, one tends to fully compress the suspension, on landing, etc....and you NEED the tires to fit into the wells to do that.

I'll second that.

#95896 - 06/09/06 09:50 AM Re: Kinds of lift
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
You don't need to have the wheels tuck. It just really helps to save the sheet metal that gets crushed if you don't. laugh

Time they didn't tuck number 1 - the wheel slammed down and then back up so hard that it hammered the wheel well into the rear left door.

Time they didn't tuck number two - under full compression on an off camber hill the wheel came up and helped fold up the metal lip in the wheel well.

#95897 - 06/09/06 03:16 PM Re: Kinds of lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks so much guys. finaly found people who know what they are talking about in X's!! maybe i can join you guys for a trail one day thanks again.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal