Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412576 - 09/03/05 05:22 PM How much time should I allow to install a cat back exhaust & FIPK Intake?
up4speed Offline

Loc: Lake Grove, NY
I just received my Gibson cat back exhaust & my K&N FIPK intake, and I want to know about how much time I have to allot to the install of both? I don't work super fast, but I am not real slow either. I would say that I work about average speed for a home mechanic. What do you guys think?
Thanks!!

#412577 - 09/03/05 06:24 PM Re: How much time should I allow to install a cat back exhaust & FIPK Intake?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends on if you have the right tools for the job. the CatBack will take the most time. What year is your X? if its an 03 and up, there is a slip joint at the end of the crossover pipe. unlike pre 03 there is a flange. If its a rusted slip joint that will cause trouble for you. Save yourself some aggravation, and let a muffler shop install the cat back system. The intake will take approx 30 min. Good luck

#412578 - 13/03/05 04:44 AM Re: How much time should I allow to install a cat back exhaust & FIPK Intake?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your exhaust system has the long pipe off the big muffler pressed together with a clamp like mine did, throw in the towel and take it to a muffler shop that will do aftermarket work. It's not worth it. I did mine myself, and I had to carefully cut a slit in the end of that pipe where it is pressed together to take the whole exhaust off without shortening the Y-pipe. A muffler shop would've taken about a half hour to install it, instead I spend about 4 hours fighting with that damn thing. Minor rust doesn't help the process. My K&N took about 35 minutes with about half the tools I needed (didn't feel like walking upstairs to get the tool box). If your stock box comes off easy, you won't have too much trouble. wink

#412579 - 17/03/05 01:29 AM Re: How much time should I allow to install a cat back exhaust & FIPK Intake?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to clarify my last post...it took 4 hours of staring at the pipe and drinking beer and trying to find a way to take it out of there without cutting the stock system out of there, bolting the thing back on and deciding the hell with it, then coming back and taking another look at it. Once I decided to get an air-powered cutting tool on there with the smallest cutting wheel I could find, it took me about a half hour to do the whole thing. The tire iron from the factory "took kit" works great at prying the stock exhaust out of there laugh

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal