ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:13 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 138 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411982 - 04/10/05 06:28 PM It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I received my K&N FIPK today...

Just finished the install and test drive and I can already feel and hear a difference. Great deal for $186 on Ebay. Next comes the exhaust, the Gibson is sitting in the hallway at this moment. Both the exhaust and intake arrived today. laugh I just thought working under the hood would be better to deal with after a 35 minute drive home rather than grabbing and becoming part of an exhaust pipe.

Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle the Gibson...

Rob

#411983 - 04/10/05 06:46 PM Re: It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp]

#411984 - 15/10/05 11:34 PM Re: It breathes!
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Wow, I think you got it all covered. Nice Job! Can you post any pics??? [Smoking]

#411985 - 16/10/05 08:19 AM Re: It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah post pics. Thanks

#411986 - 16/10/05 01:53 PM Re: It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ive never really messed with performance parts before. im a auto part novice.... what does all this do (exhaust, intake, etc)?

#411987 - 16/10/05 02:12 PM Re: It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

1st, way to go Rob. Put it all together and open it up on the way into town for the meeting this friday (21st) smile .
Beto- Opening the air intake allows the engine to breathe better. More, cooler air helps the engine to burn fuel aiding in combustion, threby building compression, which in turn makes your truck go Vroom. The addition of a freeflowing exhaust allows the pressures exerted by the engine to escape, relieving backpressure and adding continuity to you powerband. TJ? Anyone? How'd I do? smile

#411988 - 17/10/05 11:03 AM Re: It breathes!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
DBAX - You done good son.

laugh

The seat of the pants impressions can be misleading if noise is involved, it makes it seem faster if its louder.

The general principle is that the gas is mixed with oxygen so it can explode... things like gas, that burn, have upper and lower flammable ranges ...in otherwords, too much gas/not enough oxygen, or too little gas/too much oxygen...won't burn.

The limiting factor in most engines is pumping enough air...they can usually pump enough gas.

Engine programming typically includes a ramp comparing volume of fuel to volume of air, so as to essentially measure the incoming air volume, and squirt enough gas into it so as to create a mixture that will burn well.

For modern engine programs and injection systems....the rule of thumb is that the more air you can blow in, the more fuel you can blow in, and, the more fuel to explode, potentially, the more power you can generate per explosion. (More air = more potential power)

The limiting factor is the programming of the engine, if you supply more air than its programmed to handle, the gas supply is typically clipped off at the last programmed flow rate....and you get no additional power, sometimes even less.

You can reprogram (Tuning chips/boxes, etc...), and be able to handle more that way, etc.

Increasing the capacity of the intake and exhaust typically goes hand in hand, as if you only increase one, the other just becomes the bottle neck.

In the old days (Carbs, etc...), you needed some backpressure, essentially to operate the valves properly, and too little back pressure would hurt low rpm torque.

Free flowing exhausts always help power at high rpms, and tend not to hurt it at low rpms anymore.

At low rpms, the engine is pumping less air, and the intakes and exhausts are not yet in the way as they can be at high rpms.

Modern exhausts can also be designed to create pulses and harmonic pressure flows in both directions, which can help to scavange unburned fuel, etc...and improve fuel efficiency as well as power...an aftermarket exhaust typically doesn't get engineered that specifically...and that can impact torque and horse pressure, etc.

Hope that helps.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#411989 - 28/12/05 12:06 PM Re: It breathes!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry for the delay, but now that I can post pics I have this compulsive need to post them where people had asked for them. Once again, this was a simple, quick install with a definite increase in throttle response.

Oh, DBAX, I'll being trying to make it to a meeting here soon, but living in way south Chandler (Sun Lakes area)it is a bit tough. Also my daughter is going to be here any time soon!

Rob

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal