Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#454347 - 17/01/06 02:10 PM Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do I just have bad luck, or has anyone else noticed that the windshields on the 05 are weak? I have had three large dings in the past two months. Just seems a bit ununsual, but then again, It's probably just me.

#454348 - 17/01/06 03:23 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a rock (or something) smack my windshield today (woke me up!). No damage. I got lucky.

My father was heading back from TN a couple of weeks ago. He told me he had a chip in his winshield on his new Rav 4 on the way back. He called an hour later to say the chip isn't an issue anymore... a larger rock had made a 1' crack across the windshield.

In FL, if you have comprehensive coverage, there's no deductible to have the windshield repaired or replaced. So, soon as my father got home, he made the call, the repair guy came to his house, and fixed it on site. Looks like new.

If you just have a few nicks in yours, they can do a pretty good job fixing them these days. I don't think it has anything to do with the strength of the glass. Some people just get lucky. wink

#454349 - 17/01/06 03:49 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, got mine cracked yesterday. I used to take hits like that in the past ( in my 02 X )with nothing more then a pit. This time crack! The glass is definately thinner.

#454350 - 17/01/06 04:11 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

i had a nice chunk taken out of my windshield a few weeks ago. i was just happy it didn't crack. then i spotted the DOT truck the rock came from. grrrr...

#454351 - 17/01/06 06:13 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought we 05 er's have the diamon fusion treated glass. I just got my conditioner spray in the mail. Anyone know anything about this?

#454352 - 17/01/06 08:11 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine got a dime shape tooken *correction, taken* out. When i was taking the check to the dealership to buy it!
Of all the LUCK mad

#454353 - 18/01/06 07:12 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you really just say tooken? confused [LOL] [LOL]

#454354 - 18/01/06 07:26 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was from illinios, does that explain it?

#454355 - 18/01/06 08:02 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

no dings here.

**prays to roman godess of windscreens**

#454356 - 18/01/06 08:09 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a chunk taken out of mine so I went and got the winshield repair stuff (silicone) and fixed it. I just put my radar detecter over it so I do not notice it.

-G

#454357 - 19/01/06 03:35 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a nic in my window with a small rock and I mean small and the thing cracked end to end. I have to replace the whole thing now.

#454358 - 21/01/06 01:24 PM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by knaffie:
Did you really just say tooken? confused [LOL] [LOL]
Heheh - tooken

That's up there with "eleventy" and "squoze"

#454359 - 22/01/06 08:18 AM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I already had to replace my windshield. Not even sure how it happened. All I know, is that before my round of 18, no split in the glass. After my round of 18, huge split. I noticed the small chip in the glass where it must have originated...and I have a ton of chips like that in my Wrangler...and none of them have ever split like that. Needless to say, $300 later, I have a new piece of glass. Somewhat upsetting, but hey--it happens.

#454360 - 22/01/06 09:37 AM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here in the great state of Texas, debris, rocks and gravel on the highway are a way of life. Within a month after buying my X, I got a rock ding just below the windshield wiper. I heard it hit and and couldn't see the ding. It was really small. A few days later, I was parked in the sun on a hot day, got in and cranked up the A/C. I heard a loud pop and I had a crack 6" up and then make a left turn to 8" toward the driver side. So I have a new windshield. I was told there is stress on the windshield, but I watched the guy replace it and it just set right in place. Didn't look like any stress was put on it.

#454361 - 24/01/06 09:31 AM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

I noticed a chip on my windshield over the weekend, and yesterday had a nice crack running half way down it. I just paid 389 to have it replaced.

#454362 - 24/01/06 09:42 AM Re: Freakin' windshield dings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, good thing I got the windshield replacement coverage from my insurance company. It costs like $20 a year and they replace the windshield with no deductible.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal