Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117018 - 31/12/03 10:09 AM Tahoe Snow
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I might head up to Sierra At Tahoe this friday. The news says that "Chains or snow tires" will be required.

I have BFG AT/Ko's with ALOT of tread left. There is the little "M+S" logo on the sidewalls.

Does that mean that I have "snow tires"?

ARe the road crews going to give me any trouble?

#117019 - 31/12/03 10:20 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
You should be fine, but more info on this can be found here .

Have fun KJ! smile

#117020 - 31/12/03 10:45 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Yup... Friday should clear up enough that no chains will be required.

My 2/3 wornout Scorps did very well last week when it dumped 2+feet.

I'm thinking of heading up Sierra on Friday too smile

#117021 - 31/12/03 03:07 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just came back monday night. Wish I was going back
up. Lots of snow! Should be ok on those tires. Only calling for showers this weekend. Have fun!

#117022 - 31/12/03 05:09 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems the GF wants to go to reno this weekend also.. when are you leaving friday? I think i am suposto go up saturday night, and return late sunday..
if you are going all the way over the hill, off north 395 (north of reno that is) is peavine rd. to be spacific at or about 39.5861N by 119.9396 W.

It is just below the transmitter tower, a nice access road (no gates or anything, open to all, all the time) with a killer snow sleding spot at the top.. Looks like we are going to be there sunday.. come see us if you want..

80 east, 395 north, exit stead blvd, left (west) right on virginia st, second left (right after the house on the left after the water tank on the left, like .5 miles or so..

#117023 - 31/12/03 09:23 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
AlcoX Offline

Loc: Brentwood, CA
I'll be heading up friday, coming back saturday. Going to be at Northstar. Hopefully, i won't get snowed in like the last couple of years i've been up there.

#117024 - 01/01/04 09:43 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Xtopher,

You'll have to let me know how it went. I think that area is nearer to the Redrock exit. Be advised that we have gotten more rain than snow, so be prepared for it to be a bit muddy up there (or at least on the way up. I might get a chance to escape this weekend, so let me know if you want the company--or a bailout if you get stuck. I can get you my # via e-mail.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#117025 - 03/01/04 12:33 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
KJ_dragon Offline

Ok, Just got back...

The Good:
Average Temp on the day 25 degrees.
Time from Bay Area to Twin Bridges, CA - about 4 hours. (about 180 miles)
Weather was awesome when we first arrived and there was fresh powder everywhere.
The Xterra performed wonderfully thru the snow, ice and slush.

The Ugly:
The weather took a turn for the worse. By lunch time, there were near white out conditions on much of the mountain.
On my way in for lunch, I hit some powder awkwardly and turned my Left knee about 90 degrees counterclockwise. My primal screams can be heard for miles. Somehow I muster myself up, and manage to ski the rest of the way down the mountain on one good leg. I call it a day and retire to the comfort of the Xterra.
Before I get settled, I decide to swing by the first aid center for some bandages and ice. I hobble into the ER and the staff insist that I see a doctor. Next thing I know, my knee gets x-rayed and I had the full range of agility tests performed on me.

The best case is that I have a sprained knee. The worse is that I have a torn ligament. The ER staff gave me a walking cast and gave me instructions to take to my doctor. I need to get an MRI next week to diagnose my injury.

Somehow, I was able to drive my Xterra from Twin Bridges to Placerville. (I have a stick) My broken leg was able to handle the clutch adequetly. Oh yeah, because of the conditions, it took about 4 hours to drive the 40 miles from Twin Bridges to Placerville. [Finger]

I am home now. I may have to drive my dad's Buick for a while - since its the only car in my place that isn't a manual. frown

edited to add: this is my 3000th post.

#117026 - 03/01/04 07:35 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Damn...That is exactly why I don't go down mountains on skinny little sticks anymore...skiing=injury (almost always for me) [Uh Oh !] Take care of those knees, you'll need them when you get older smile

We only got a lousy inch here on the valley floor, but there is a nice layer of ice to contend with under that. I have a house to remodel today so I won't be out in it too much.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#117027 - 03/01/04 02:41 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
KJ_dragon Offline

I got x-rays for those of you who are interested...

They said the bones are ok. Its the ligaments which are screwed up.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/32089597/108708393REPzDS

http://community.webshots.com/photo/32089597/108708418rVpOtU

#117028 - 03/01/04 11:21 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
sonnyc Offline

Loc: SJ, CA.
Arg.. that sucks. Hope it's just a sprain and you'll be better.

I just got back today too from Sierra Tahoe. Took 6+ hrs to get home and the weather was clear :rolleyes: . Spend 2+hrs waiting from the parking lot to the hw-50 intersection. mad

It was freaking cold... I think the high was in the 20's today. Got some first turns of the season on packed powder. smile

#117029 - 04/01/04 10:44 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
I got x-rays for those of you who are interested...

They said the bones are ok. Its the ligaments which are screwed up.

Ugh! I'm hoping for the best for you.

#117030 - 05/01/04 01:43 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I had a blast in the snow this weekend..
FYI.. Contrary to what everyone seems to think, the factory front skid plate, lower a-arms, fuel tank skid, spring packs, and rear diff housing are able to safely hold the entire weight of the loaded truck at least 1/4 inch off the ground!!
Turns out the 6" deep ruts I was driving, were on top of about 1' of snow..
Well, i fared pretty well The ford ranger i was up there wirh.. well, he showed off a little bit, and bent his right spindle.., all i got was nice clean skit plates, clean a arms, and lost 1 wheel weight.. Wheel works here i come...

#117031 - 07/01/04 11:29 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
KJ_dragon Offline

This is what it looked like at 1pm when I called it a day and took my butt into the ER for treatment
http://community.webshots.com/photo/109782193/109782449zNETcZ

This is what it looked like 2 hours later:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/109782193/109782533aLJxNk

#117032 - 07/01/04 11:32 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
KJ_dragon Offline

In this pic, you can see my leg brace:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/109782193/109782962zacusJ

I saw the orthopedic doctor, and he diagnosed me with a partially torn MCL. the treament is pretty simple. Just keep moving the leg and be careful with its moving in the "wrong" directions. I should return to 100% in a few weeks or months. I just gotta let it heal, so that's good news!

It's a Level II sprain if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words of encouragement.

#117033 - 08/01/04 10:23 AM Re: Tahoe Snow
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
KJ - that sucks man! Glad it wasn't worse though.

You'll be 100% in no time. [Too much XOC]

and, damn, I miss the snow! It's supposed to be 78 here on Saturday!

#117034 - 08/01/04 05:55 PM Re: Tahoe Snow
Dos Equis Offline

Loc: Concord
Hey KJ, sorry to hear about the knee. I was up in Tahoe from 12/30 through 1/4 and man was that some kind of storm that came through. My in-laws have a house above King's beach where we were staying and at one point it was coming down at a rate of about 5 inches an hour. The new snow tires did great though! Never had to use chains, and I took some trips down along the shore line and other areas I could get into and had no problems at all. The other 4WD I was with was sliding all over the place. Looking forward to getting out again.

Moderator:  Huey, slamson00 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal