Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#171774 - 24/06/03 06:58 PM Harry Potter book 5
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Anybody else get this over the weekend. I had to buy 3 of them for the fanatics in my family, although I didn't camp out at the bookstore till midnight on friday

#171775 - 24/06/03 08:51 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
3 copies ?

Thank you for supporting bad literature written by a lawsuit happy plagiarizing hack.

I bet you're a Barbra Streisand fan too laugh

#171776 - 24/06/03 09:50 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
I'm off X'n Offline

Loc: iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
3 copies ?

Thank you for supporting bad literature written by a lawsuit happy plagiarizing hack.

Guess you hate kids in America reading once again. Say what you want but the stats prove it. Any book that can take a kid that can hardly read and raises that ability 2-4 grade levels gets applause from me.

Edited to ad that my Mother is a College Professor, she teaches Elementary education, and she couldn't be happier to have the book around due to the fact the students are reading once again.

#171777 - 24/06/03 10:13 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
3 copies ?

Who'd she plagiarize?

(If you were making millions off something, and someone tried to rip you off, you'd sue, too.)

Just out of curiosity, have you read any of the books?
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#171778 - 24/06/03 10:39 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
My brother received his from Amazon the day it was released in stores. The mailman half-jokingly complained about having to deliver so many of them that day. My brother is what you would call a voracious reader. He finished the book in a few hours (a conservative estimate) and said he didn't like it. He's read the other 4, of course, and thought this one was "bloated."

Don't wait for a review from me because I haven't even read the previous books. Ironically, even though I have tons of spare time since I'm jobless, I actually read less now than I do when I have a job. Go figure.

#171779 - 24/06/03 10:54 PM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by A Katonk:
My brother received his from Amazon the day it was released in stores. The mailman half-jokingly complained about having to deliver so many of them that day. My brother is what you would call a voracious reader. He finished the book in a few hours (a conservative estimate) and said he didn't like it. He's read the other 4, of course, and thought this one was "bloated."
He must be a speed reader. This book is nearly 900 pages. I thought the fourth one was bloated. This one wasn't nearly as bad as far as bloat goes.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#171780 - 25/06/03 08:01 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Kids are stupid.

They'll read any garbage.

Well, I'm off . . . going to write a piece-of-shit book about gobbledy-gook, make up a bunch of Python-esque "silly names" for the characters, and feed off the stupidity of kids and their parents.

Be back in an hour . . .

By the way, Katonk . . . I don't care if other kids can read or not. Mine will be able to, and they'll read a shitload better stuff than this . . .

#171781 - 25/06/03 08:04 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
By the way, Katonk . . . I don't care if other kids can read or not. Mine will be able to, and they'll read a shitload better stuff than this . . .
Uh, what'd I write that deserved this comment directed at me?

#171782 - 25/06/03 08:22 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
It was probably meant for I'm off X'n.

Quote:
Quote:
[b]By the way, Katonk . . . I don't care if other kids can read or not. Mine will be able to, and they'll read a shitload better stuff than this . . .
Uh, what'd I write that deserved this comment directed at me?[/b]

#171783 - 25/06/03 08:42 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
My wife finished her copy at 4:30 AM on Sunday after receiving it Saturday morning.

I'm about halfway through it now. I'm not a big fan or anything, but HP is entertaining enough. I resisted for a long time, I've never been into fansasy-type stuff, but I finally started reading them and found it enjoyable enough. I used to read all the time but haven't really done much reading over the last few years. Nice to stick my nose in a book again even if it is light reading.

If you want to talk about a HUGE disappointment, the most recent Earth's Children (Clan of the Cave Bear series) book was a real let-down. 12 years since the last book and it's as if the others were never written she spent so much time re-capping old material.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#171784 - 25/06/03 08:51 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XCFreak:
It was probably meant for I'm off X'n.

Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]By the way, Katonk . . . I don't care if other kids can read or not. Mine will be able to, and they'll read a shitload better stuff than this . . .
Uh, what'd I write that deserved this comment directed at me?[/b]
[/b]
Yes, sorry Kirby, that comment was directed at I'm off X'n . . .

Sincere apologies, I was reading and typing, and I screwed up who I was directing the comment at.

Again, my apologies. No harm meant . . .

#171785 - 25/06/03 09:04 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Kids are stupid.

Well, I'm off . . . going to write a piece-of-shit book about gobbledy-gook, make up a bunch of Python-esque "silly names" for the characters, and feed off the stupidity of kids and their parents.

Be back in an hour . . .

Which ones of the five have you read?

#171786 - 25/06/03 09:06 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]Kids are stupid.

Be back in an hour . . .

Which ones of the five have you read?[/b]
Can't remember.

Read about three pages of one in '01, it did nothing for me.

No, I've never read a full Harry Potter book.

Doesn't take but a little taste to realize that some things are indigestible . . .

#171787 - 25/06/03 09:19 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Kids are stupid.

Be back in an hour . . .

Which ones of the five have you read?[/b]
Can't remember.

Read about three pages of one in '01, it did nothing for me.

No, I've never read a full Harry Potter book.

Doesn't take but a little taste to realize that some things are indigestible . . .[/b]
Three pages means nothing. You could read three pages of the greatest book ever written and think, "blah."

#171788 - 25/06/03 09:20 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
I'll just interject to say... I'm over 14, male, and heterosexual, so I haven't read any of this crap either....

Now if Michael Crichton would STOP producing bullshit television and start writing more books like the Andromeda Strain, I'd be right back in my big leather reading chair! I'd also like to hear more from Preston and Childs, Clive Cussler, and maybe a decent Koonz or two.

Hey Graham, I wouldn't mind an easy trip to the bank.. could you use some help making up names and stuff?

[Wave]

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#171789 - 25/06/03 09:30 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Three pages means nothing. You could read three pages of the greatest book ever written and think, "blah."
Perhaps.

But tell me, at what point do you think it's fair for me to say, "Gee, I don't like this, I've already invested some time, it has not maintained my interest, and I think it's crap?"

Do you actually test-drive vehicles, Moby? Or do you walk into a dealership, get in a truck, drive it for a couple hours, and think, "Well, maybe it'll be better after the break-in period . . . " Do you buy vehicles because you think they might get better?

Or how about movies? Have you never walked out of a movie? I have. I've also watched the first few minutes of a DVD before, and turned it off. Thanks Blockbuster, but it didn't do it for me . . .

I put in some time, and it was, for me, shit. But then again, I wouldn't read Tolkien if I was paid to . . .
But hey, if you like it, great . . .

"Three pages means nothing. You could read three pages of the greatest book ever written and think, "blah."
Maybe you're right. But I doubt very much that Harry Potter is destined for greatness in any realm other than sales . . .

#171790 - 25/06/03 09:31 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
I'll just interject to say... I'm over 14, male, and heterosexual, so I haven't read any of this crap either....

Hey Graham, I wouldn't mind an easy trip to the bank.. could you use some help making up names and stuff?

[Wave]
OK, you lost me on the hetrosexual part. Also, since you've never read any of it, how can you possibly make an informed comment about them books? I'm way over 14, and also hetrosexual, and I've read (or at least listened to - they were great on the road trip from Dallas to the Plant Tour last year) every book. I was very dissapointed that book 5 wasn't coming out until after the tour this year, because at 14+ hours it would have been ideal for the drive again this year. Yes, they are not high literature, but they are fun to read (which at almost 900 pages is amazing by itself).

Good luck with coming up with as detailed storyline to fill 7 books that millions of people will read, we'll all be waiting for your brilliant masterpiece.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#171791 - 25/06/03 09:32 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

I'm over 14, male, and heterosexual, and I have read all five, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Of course she takes ideas from others - who doesn't these days?

Good luck coming up with names - several of these names actually are based on latin and greek/roman mythology. They have meaning behind them.

No, the books aren't deep. Since when does anything HAVE to be deep?

For the record, the other book I'm reading right now is a historical biography - Robert Kennedy and His Times.
]

#171792 - 25/06/03 09:33 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PNUTMNM:
Maybe . . .

I think I'll write a book based on a fantasy world, with elves and goblins and creatures too horrid to imagine . . . not sanely, anyway . . .

I found this link. Goldmine!

http://www.darkexodus.com/modules.php?name=RPG_Names

#171793 - 25/06/03 09:34 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Maybe you're right. But I doubt very much that Harry Potter is destined for greatness in any realm other than sales . . .
I don't disagree with that...to a point. It will be long lived in the children's arena.

#171794 - 25/06/03 09:58 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm off X'n:
Quote:
[b]3 copies ?

Guess you hate kids in America reading once again. Say what you want but the stats prove it. Any book that can take a kid that can hardly read and raises that ability 2-4 grade levels gets applause from me.

Edited to ad that my Mother is a College Professor, she teaches Elementary education, and she couldn't be happier to have the book around due to the fact the students are reading once again.[/b]
Well her books are pretty worthless pile, there isnt dispute about it. Reason why SOME kids werent reading any books isnt b/c there werent anything interesting to read, but just b/c some of them werent exposed to literature apart from required school reading. Too much TV, too less worthy stuff on shelves at homes. How many books average american person got at home, so kids could dig something out to read? There you go.

Potter series are just about mass histeria, and well designed PR programm, thats it. Same as X-mas shopping. There is no reason why X-mas should be all about gifts, but how many people think about it.

And on a side note - if you got kids at school of age 10-14 reading crap like that - programm ought to be revised. Heck - they better off reading Mopassan and Tolkien 8) (side note - at that age back in my school days we were reading Tolstoi, Dostoevsky, Twain, Longfellow & etc)

#171795 - 25/06/03 10:06 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Mobycat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uzbad:
Well her books are pretty worthless pile, there isnt dispute about it.
Which ones have you read?

#171796 - 25/06/03 10:08 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
I'm over 14, male, and heterosexual, and I have read all five, and thoroughly enjoyed them.
Do you, Moby, have an irresistable urge to shop for window treatments, browse through flea markets, and attend WNBA games too?

I was just curious... laugh

Edit to add: I couldn't get past the first chapter of one of them. I tried to read my sister's and it just "didn't work." Then again, I hated dungeons and dragons too! "Roll the dice to see if I'm drunk!!"

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#171797 - 25/06/03 10:45 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
kd4adc Offline

Loc: Alabama
Quote:

Be back in an hour . . .
I'll volunteer to proofread it for you. PM me when you have it finished. An MS-Word file is preferred.

#171798 - 25/06/03 10:57 AM Re: Harry Potter book 5
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Uzbad:
[b]Well her books are pretty worthless pile, there isnt dispute about it.
Which ones have you read?[/b]
First and third one. Why? Second, fourth and fifth arent as duff?

Editeded to add:
unlike PNUTMNM i actually like D&D/AD&D 8)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal