Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#231749 - 23/08/04 08:16 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
Damn! (insert wolf whistle). [ThumbsUp]

#231750 - 23/08/04 08:41 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by JSRAIDER:
Is that a Dana 44 in the front?
Yes, a D44 from a 83 Waggy. ARB, 4.88 gears, new brakes, bearings, seals, Crane diff cover. Tires are 33x12.5x15 MTRs. Wheels are 3.75 BS.

-Doug

#231751 - 24/08/04 04:47 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
[b]Sorry forgot a questions that has been bugging me

What did they do to the rear to match the front??? Coil over, spring over, longer shackles, more leafs????? Thanks

Tim
The leafs are re-arched for now. There will be a new set of leafs for the rear.
-Doug[/b]
did you keep it spring under?

#231752 - 24/08/04 06:14 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
did you keep it spring under?
It’s currently spring under with re-arched springs, but this will likely change. It may end up spring over with a flat or negative arch spring. Keep in mind the front ride height will be very customizable depending on how high a person will want to lift it. The rear springs will need to be built to accommodate the front. I see most folks going with 33’s, but I’m sure some will want 35’s. Those will 35’s will need a different rear set up.
I will post photos as things evolve.

-Doug

#231753 - 24/08/04 06:54 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....

#231754 - 24/08/04 07:21 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....
Considering that the frame, stock suspension, overall dimensions are very different I would say quite a bit would change. Sure it’s going to be a great kit, but fitting it to a 05’ may be a stretch considering that no one has had one on a lift to see how everything is configured. The one thing that is transferable is the overall skill and quality that is going into the Xterra SAS kit.
The kit will be very transportable to a Hardbody and a Frontier.

-Doug

#231755 - 24/08/04 11:56 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
[b]This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....
Considering that the frame, stock suspension, overall dimensions are very different I would say quite a bit would change. Sure it’s going to be a great kit, but fitting it to a 05’ may be a stretch considering that no one has had one on a lift to see how everything is configured. The one thing that is transferable is the overall skill and quality that is going into the Xterra SAS kit.
The kit will be very transportable to a Hardbody and a Frontier.

-Doug[/b]
Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle

#231756 - 25/08/04 01:41 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
R&R LOPEZ Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs (Security)
Way out of my bugdet. frown But s@*T eek thats awesome !!!! Awesome pictures How was the ride? laugh

FEAR NO ONE
RESPECT ALL

Life is but a Dream, Live it to its fullest!!!

#231757 - 25/08/04 09:56 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle
Coils or not, there are still upper control arms on the 05, and the UCA mounts are the mount points for the coilover hoops with the CalMini SAS kit. That said, however, so many dimensions will be different that most likely it would have to be a major redesign (though perhaps still using the UCA mounts as the coilover hoop mounts).

EDIT: Come to think of it, perhaps the 05 coilover mounts could be incorporated some how in an SAS kit. Regardless, one major drawback remains, which is having to change over from rack & pinion steering, something the Tacoma guys have to do for SAS.

#231758 - 25/08/04 10:26 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Don't forget that the '05 is a rack and pinion steering too (PITA)

#231759 - 25/08/04 11:49 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I took plenty of underbody shots in NYC:
www.nissanoffroad.com/05X

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#231760 - 25/08/04 02:19 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Axle Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
Quote:
[b]Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle
Coils or not, there are still upper control arms on the 05, and the UCA mounts are the mount points for the coilover hoops with the CalMini SAS kit. That said, however, so many dimensions will be different that most likely it would have to be a major redesign (though perhaps still using the UCA mounts as the coilover hoop mounts).

EDIT: Come to think of it, perhaps the 05 coilover mounts could be incorporated some how in an SAS kit. Regardless, one major drawback remains, which is having to change over from rack & pinion steering, something the Tacoma guys have to do for SAS.[/b]
Oh yeah, brain fart. I was thinking that there wouldn't be a torsion bar cross member to bolt into.

Axle

#231761 - 25/08/04 04:08 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Nice to hear about the successful desert terrain type test smile

Now what's next? How about some more challenging rocky trails?
Dusy Ershim September 16-19 http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000860
http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm

Or if you want something more local let me know, I'm sure we could get together a crew for some of the Big Bear trails (see inline of John Bull last weekend when we scouting for adopt a trail.

Would be really sweet to see this adapted to the older coil sprung pathys, should ride & wheel just like my 94' Toy FZJ80 cruiser if you add the dual electronic lockers, bigger engine, etc wink

Like to see something similar also for the 2nd gen X's (05+). Latest Toy 4 runner is very similar, I've already seen them SAS'ed on the trails around here.

Brian

#231762 - 07/10/04 01:34 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Anonymous
Unregistered

i dont have any kids yet but when i do i would be glad to sell one or two of them for the SAS.....If there is any takers i'll try to crank one out...

#231763 - 07/10/04 02:07 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
My reaction:

:rolleyes: oh hay look more four wheel drive cr [Freak] [Geek] whoa, what just happened in my pants

#231764 - 08/10/04 12:34 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?

#231765 - 08/10/04 01:23 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
DesertHB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by geo:
Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?
No

#231766 - 08/10/04 04:23 PM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
dhsundance Offline

Loc: San Diego
Quote:
Only when I've been drinking.

#231767 - 09/10/04 01:04 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Axle Offline

Quote:
If you're worried about a scratch in your truck, don't take it out offroading.

Axle

#231768 - 09/10/04 07:00 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
Quote:
Quote:
[b]Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?
If you're worried about a scratch in your truck, don't take it out offroading.

Axle[/b]
thats the truth smile

#231769 - 09/10/04 07:11 AM Re: Calmini SAS Test Run
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
oh man, i still have paint left, damn off to the woods again. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal