Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 217 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#251562 - 21/10/04 06:24 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry 'bout your X.

#251563 - 21/10/04 07:16 PM Re: Accident pics
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Wow...sorry about your truck and injuries dude.

In the pic, it looks like he just hit your tire like a cruise missle or something...there's barely any visible damage to the rear of the wheelwell, and not much in front of it either other than what looks like what happened when the truck continued w/o the 4th support.

What did he do, just come across the front of the tire at speed, you braked, he hit the leading edge of the tire with a 40-50 mph speed differential, the steering wheel spun like a left turn, spindles and arms, etc...snapped, (followed by thumbs and wrists)?

Shrock Bars help, or did the impact all occur as above with only front of wheel area involved?

At least the kamikaze was on the Pass side, and not into your door.

:rolleyes:

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#251564 - 21/10/04 11:12 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Wow...sorry about your truck and injuries dude.

In the pic, it looks like he just hit your tire like a cruise missle or something...there's barely any visible damage to the rear of the wheelwell, and not much in front of it either other than what looks like what happened when the truck continued w/o the 4th support.

What did he do, just come across the front of the tire at speed, you braked, he hit the leading edge of the tire with a 40-50 mph speed differential, the steering wheel spun like a left turn, spindles and arms, etc...snapped, (followed by thumbs and wrists)?

Shrock Bars help, or did the impact all occur as above with only front of wheel area involved?

Well, here is what happened in detail:

It was night.

I was travelling west bound on the 91 freeway in the carpool lane (I had three passengers). The lane was fairly clear so I was moving about 60MPH. The fast lane of the freeway was slowing rapidly, and suddenly this guy decides to cut across the double yellow in to the carpool lane. He has to cut sharp because he was coming up on the traffic and was slowing quickly(he was down to 20MPH or so), so when I saw him (about 10feet away) I was looking at the side of his vehicle almost completely. He admitted to not looking, AND not signaling, not that it matters.

I hit the brakes, but it didn't do much good. The passenger side of the front bumper was the first thing to come in contact with his vehicle, at that point, my tire caught his doors, this forced the wheel and tire to turn right (to the rear of his vehicle) once the steering hit the bump stop, the assembly broke free from the ball joints, and finally the Calmini tie rod was the last thing to break. So now the wheel is exited from the vehicle. At this point, my shrock sliders impacted, this took me up and over his vehicle (at the same time pushed his away). We ran on two wheels for a while, and then came down on the lower control arm with a shower of sparks. I had lost braking power because my brake fluid was draining, so I just scraped to the left shoulder as best I could.

And somwhere in there I broke my thumb and sprained my wrists.

#251565 - 22/10/04 05:52 AM Re: Accident pics
Happy Birthday BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Wow.
[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsDown]

Hope your injuries heal quickly. And the trucsk too. smile

#251566 - 22/10/04 08:35 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
[b]Wow...sorry about your truck and injuries dude.

Well, here is what happened in detail:

It was night.

I was travelling west bound on the 91 freeway in the carpool lane (I had three passengers). The lane was fairly clear so I was moving about 60MPH. The fast lane of the freeway was slowing rapidly, and suddenly this guy decides to cut across the double yellow in to the carpool lane. He has to cut sharp because he was coming up on the traffic and was slowing quickly(he was down to 20MPH or so), so when I saw him (about 10feet away) I was looking at the side of his vehicle almost completely. He admitted to not looking, AND not signaling, not that it matters.

I hit the brakes, but it didn't do much good. The passenger side of the front bumper was the first thing to come in contact with his vehicle, at that point, my tire caught his doors, this forced the wheel and tire to turn right (to the rear of his vehicle) once the steering hit the bump stop, the assembly broke free from the ball joints, and finally the Calmini tie rod was the last thing to break. So now the wheel is exited from the vehicle. At this point, my shrock sliders impacted, this took me up and over his vehicle (at the same time pushed his away). We ran on two wheels for a while, and then came down on the lower control arm with a shower of sparks. I had lost braking power because my brake fluid was draining, so I just scraped to the left shoulder as best I could.

And somwhere in there I broke my thumb and sprained my wrists.[/b]
Oh, and the sad thing is, there was maybe 1 mile of carpool lane left.

#251567 - 29/12/04 04:24 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Updates!

Well.. 2.5 months later.. still no truck!

They are still working on the frame, and now have to swap out the steering gearbox and such.

Pics from today, on the frame rack.

#251568 - 30/12/04 08:20 PM Re: Accident pics
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
I just got my Xterra back after 3 1/2 months in the shop. It was a completely different kind of accident though, with me getting t-boned by a redlight runner.

Good luck on yours.

#251569 - 30/12/04 08:30 PM Re: Accident pics
Claus Offline

Who is doing the work?

#251570 - 30/12/04 08:39 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks kinda weird to see all of the bright metal and paint next to the underbody. Good luck.

#251571 - 31/12/04 01:20 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus Christensen:
Who is doing the work?
An auto body place here local called Spencer Auto Body. Had used them before, and they did a good job, wasn't anything major like this however. We shal see.

I have been checking on it every few days, just to make sure everything is getting done, and so far so good.

#251572 - 21/01/05 06:29 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.. it's on FOUR wheels at least!!

Still don't have it back however.

#251573 - 22/01/05 07:11 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's coming back together nice though. Trust me, you want to give them time to do a good job and not just "fix" it half-assed. You had some pretty serious damage to repair.

#251574 - 23/01/05 04:42 AM Re: Accident pics
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
do you have any more pictures from before they started the repair? Why did they take the emblem off the hood? It didnt look damaged in teh first pics.

There is no way I could drive a rental car that long!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#251575 - 23/01/05 01:20 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness:
do you have any more pictures from before they started the repair? Why did they take the emblem off the hood? It didnt look damaged in teh first pics.

The first page of this thread has the orriginal pics. They took the emblem off because the hood has paint damage, so they had to blend and buffer the whole thing I guess.

I'm not driving a rental, I am driving my first truck 1991 Nissan Hardbody pickup.

#251576 - 23/01/05 06:08 PM Re: Accident pics
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
Youre entitled to a rental (if you want it) from the other driver's insurance company. They had to give me one when I just 19 for over 2 months.
SWXC Member #74

#251577 - 24/01/05 07:59 AM Re: Accident pics
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness:
Oh, it gets to be fun . . .

My first new car was rear-ended by a drunk, only four months after I bought it. Only 4500 miles on the clock.

The drunk's insurance company put me in a rental for the entire four months that it took to repair my car . . .

Do you know how much air a Grand Am can get, if you hit the train tracks just right at 60 mph?

I beat the shit out of that rental car. No body damage, but I pity the idiot who buys it from Enterprise when they finally sell it off . . . laugh

#251578 - 14/02/05 12:19 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Update again...

Pic of where it sits in a storage lot.. they can't figure out whats wrong with it.

#251579 - 14/02/05 06:30 AM Re: Accident pics
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
It's looking good... what kind of problems are they having with it now?

#251580 - 14/02/05 06:30 AM Re: Accident pics
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
I think somebody switched bumpers on them!
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#251581 - 14/02/05 08:33 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
It's looking good... what kind of problems are they having with it now?
Pulls hard to the right on braking. They dunno why.

#251582 - 14/02/05 08:34 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dano:
I think somebody switched bumpers on them!
Indeed. I was going to replace the stock anyway, so I told them to hold off on it, and I just cashed it out and put the money in to an aftermarket.

#251583 - 14/02/05 09:46 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good call. Hopefully they figure what the problem is soon and get your truck back to you!

#251584 - 14/02/05 10:06 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess the problem isn't as simple as I and some of us here thought. Hope that you get your truck back soon - and it better be as good as new.

Hope I get mine back soon as well...

#251585 - 14/02/05 10:32 AM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]It's looking good... what kind of problems are they having with it now?
Pulls hard to the right on braking. They dunno why.[/b]
'Cause it's a Nissan. Perfectly normal to pull one way or the other :p

#251586 - 14/02/05 12:42 PM Re: Accident pics
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]It's looking good... what kind of problems are they having with it now?
Pulls hard to the right on braking. They dunno why.[/b]
'Cause it's a Nissan. Perfectly normal to pull one way or the other :p [/b]
To the point where it is an uncontrollable hard right turn? We arn't talking just a drift... this is a take out the traffic in the other lane nothing you can do about it pull.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal