Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo:
[b]It's hogwash. I'm not positive about the '04's (I imagine it's the same though) but the speedo's in the '03's are adjusted to work accurately with 15" tires - the ones stock on base models and XE's. Mine's an SE and came with 16" tires. I've verified this with a GPS. Since mine has 16" wheels, the speedo has always been off by about 2-3%, which just happens to be the difference you'd expect with the larger diameter tires. I just got new tires that are even bigger and it's now off by about 5.2%. That is, the speedo reads one thing when I am actually going faster/farther. Point being, this will EXTEND the warranty, not shorten it.

-G
I'm sure you know this, but I gotta correct you for the sake of the noobs...the wheel size doesn't mean a damn thing when calibrating a speedo, just diameter of the tire. Hell you could run a 29" wheel with a .5" sidewall and it'll still show the same speed as a 15" wheel with 7.5" sidewalls.

Disclaimer: the actual diameter of a given tire is almost never the size given on the sidewall...many 35" tires are actually ~34.5" in diameter[/b]
Thanks for correcting me and yeah, I knew that. But, given stock tires, the 15" wheels are smaller in diameter than the 16" wheels (tried to make it easier for noobs too wink ). They are, oddly enough, the same size tire in both cases (265/70R), it's just that one is a 15" (265/70R15) and the other is a 16" (265/70R16), so the actual diameter is also larger on the 16" wheels (which is standard on the SE's, optional on the XE's) with everything else being the same. Which in turn throws the speedo off by about 2-3%, straight from the factory. That was my point. smile

Now with my 31.7" tires (BFG AT/KO, 265/75R16's), mine is now off an additional 3% or so and I end up now being off by a total of about 5.2%.

-G