The way I look at it is this. A $1.50 a gallon on 19.4 gallon tank is $29.10 vs. $1.70 per gallon on the same 19.4 gallon tank is $32.98. Your difference is $3.88 a gallon.

I did have an 03 2wd Xterra non S/C and I thought the 180 hp out of it was fine, very responsive. I did have to turn off the AC to get up bigger hills though, I don't have to do this with my 02 S/C. I did a test drive on an 02 non S/C before I bought my 03 and I thought it was a little under powered. It's probably in my head though I can't believe the 10 extra hp in the 03 would make much of a difference.

I don't mind paying the extra $4 a gallon though. BTW I bought an 02 S/C because it was the only 4WD I could find used with low miles. If I had it to do over again I would probably have gotten my 03 X 4wd non S/C. Be aware that the S/C generates alot of extra heat too. All in all I'm happy with my 02 S/C.

I would test drive both, put them both through their paces take them on the freeway and tear em up so you get a real good feel for the differences in both types and see what you think.