Problem posting?
by Tom
Today at 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
Today at 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451922 - 13/10/05 03:16 AM How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really couldn't find a good place to mount this, so I made a spot for it! It was a pain in the butt and took a few hours, but I think it was worth it. Best of all, my wife even likes it. [LOL] This will be nice and out of the way so I don't have to worry about catching it on anything. All I used was a 1/4" drill, center punch, hammer, half round file, emery paper, and some 1/4" stainless hardware.

#451923 - 13/10/05 03:41 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks good I thought about doing the same thing! [ThumbsUp]

#451924 - 13/10/05 07:53 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks good, I need to do that too. The Nissan pigtail is so long, it's a PIA, but not as big a PIA as trying to get up under the bumper to take it off and on.

#451925 - 13/10/05 08:14 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a complete writeup on moving the wiring harness plug for the 05 Xterra.

http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com/blackpanther_armor_054.htm

#451926 - 13/10/05 09:12 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks sharp, that is where Nissan needs to put it. Mine was ripped off off-road like everyone elses, and that is what I bought parts to do. Just held off since we are not towing a trailer right now. My exact words to the Nissan reps in Moab was " What comedian came up with this location?" [LOL]

#451927 - 13/10/05 10:31 PM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did the same thing 2 weeks ago in a slightly different location - see here for a picture .

I would think that your license plate light shroud would be in the way, but other than that, it looks good. I didn't think the cable was long enough to reach there! Not that I would've mounted it there, but an inch or so more to the right, yes...

Outback's (blackpantherskidplates site) original mod used a single 2.125" hole and had the triangular mounting plate on the outside, which I didn't care for... but it did give me the inspiration.

#451928 - 14/10/05 09:26 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Might be a dumb question, and i'll check later, but where is the factory harness exactly?

I have the tow package but haven't towed anything that needed the harness yet -- but I don't have one mounted in an obvious place.

EDIT: I just saw the pictures above... is the harness a seperate option or something (I'm in Canada). Like I said, I have the tow package but no harness.

#451929 - 14/10/05 09:40 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think Connundrum was also going to do something like this after almost ripping his off!

#451930 - 14/10/05 09:51 AM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought my truck used and didn't get the pigtail, but the dealer sells it for $15.

To connect it, See This Thread.

#451931 - 15/10/05 10:10 PM Re: How do you like my trailer light harness mount?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreCBR:
Might be a dumb question, and i'll check later, but where is the factory harness exactly?

I have the tow package but haven't towed anything that needed the harness yet -- but I don't have one mounted in an obvious place.

EDIT: I just saw the pictures above... is the harness a seperate option or something (I'm in Canada). Like I said, I have the tow package but no harness.
First off, '05 Night Armor rules!

If you got the factory tow package, the harness should be there & attached to a bracket on the hitch to the left of the receiver. The factory hitch is inder a recall for bad welds... If the stealer just slapped on an aftermarket hitch & charged you for the factory tow package (US$440), you got ripped off, go kick them in the soft dangly collection of objects in their trousers.

X-Act has an older model and the harnii are different. The '05s harness connectors (2 - 1 blk, 1 grey) are located on the drivers side, by the rear end of the leaf springs. There is also a relay hookup which gets connected behind the passenger's kick panel. The kit costs about $US56 from Xterraparts.com .

If you decide to go the 'built in' route, like Outback, knaffie & I did, I have pictures of the whole process & measurements if you're interested - send me a PM.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal