To test a limited slip diff. all you have to do is lift one rear wheel off the ground and give it a twist to brake the clutches. With the other rear wheel on the ground a lsd with nuts will take some serious nuts on your part to turn the up wheel. My 2000 has a LSD and it is a piece of cake to twist using this method. The clutches are set loose to eliminate any form of chatter when cornering. Remember these units are built for the highway with an occasional trip on slippery roads. If you go where you are concerned about returning or need positive traction on an upcoming adventure, change out to a set of Detroit lockers. Those puppies do make noise on corners, but they are easy on tires. A normal Dana LSD has a break of over 600 lbs. I used to add clutches until the wheels hopped on corners and then backed off a clutch or two. This was not an exact science and depended on the weight of the rig, but it made for positive drive to both rear wheels. Good in most conditions; not ice, not packed snow. The Detroits were by far the best LSD for me.