Yeah - that's been my impression too....too many people don't know how to drive...and forget that 4wd doesn't stop any better than 2wd...and do that ditch routine, etc.

laugh

Same with sports cars, too many people think..."I've got a mustang it'll do 80"....but on the next decreasing radius exit ramp, they do 80 off the ramp into the weeds, etc.

Probably, to protect bad drivers from themselves....they should make conveyor belts instead of roads...and you just get on and off the belts to go places.

laugh

The other thing alot of people resent are SUV's in general...as they loom over their painfully responsible small environmental foot print Prius...SUV's are threatening....and should be banned....because look at the bad drivers of SUVs who come barrelling along, and expect the hybrid to get out of the way, etc.

For myself...if I didn't off road as part of my job, and if it were not a hobby...buying an Xterra would make no sense...there's vehicals with more room inside and better fuel economy, better handling and ride, etc...for the money.

Once I buy a truck, instead of a car...I've decided to haul around that boxed frame instead of a unibody, churn large masses of hysteresis and wind resistance, ....and trade room, comfort and economy for off road ability....which I have due to the 4wd.

If I traded it away for nothing...I would have made a bad trade.

If I add aesthetics to the mix...so that aethetics are more important to me than room, comfort, economy or off road ability....than the trade can be worth it, as I would get the look I want, at the expense of the other factors, which I would have deprioritized to place looks ahead of.

So - there's no wrong answer, depending upon your priorities.

So if you buy a Vette, don't drive 140 mph because it can, unless you know how to, don't buy a 4wd, unless you remember the drive part is only a propulsive factor, not a decelerative one, etc.

laugh

Now, even a 2wd X can go faster than the speed limit....and of course, we've all seen people with 2wd and 4wd...and even 1 wd...drive too fast, and have accidents....so of course people with any of those should only be equipped with engines governed so that exceeding the speed limit is impossible.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif