Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639939 - 13/11/02 08:43 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
It's funny how I present to you two logical responses to your issue at hand and you skirt them entirely and continue to focus on my truck.
The horse is dead, and there's nothing left to beat. And actually, I would have commented much nicer to your post had you not pulled the "I'm an Engineer" BS at the end. There is nothing more annoying than an Engineer who tries to make his argument solid by telling everyone he's an Engineer. Last month I argued for two straight hours with a Ford Engineer who tried to convince me that the independent suspension on the new Explorer made it superior off road to solid axles even in spite of the lack of articulation. Supposedly the clearance down the middle due to the raised diff. is more important than articulation. I tried to suggest he simply look at an off road magazine to see what they were using on the best rock-crawlers. But to him it didn't matter--he was an Engineer. Having an Engineering degree only means you're good at taking tests.

#639940 - 13/11/02 08:47 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

You sir are right, the horse was dead a long time ago. You are the one that kept kicking it along.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#639941 - 13/11/02 09:50 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Costas Offline

Loc: Burnaby, B.C.
Somebody PLEEEASE shoot the fucking horse!!! laugh

#639942 - 14/11/02 08:57 AM Re: Supercharger tech
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
I'll re-design the horse! (It takes no sense to get an Engineering Degree...!)

#639943 - 14/11/02 09:50 AM Re: Supercharger tech
Gster Offline

Loc: Cypress, California
I had to get in on this one.

If you want great gas mileage, buy a 4 banger. Gas where I live in CA is hovering around 1.73 gal for super. I'm unemployed but not in the poor house yet. If you don't want to pay for super unleaded don't buy an X-SC.

I had a 2000 X 4x4 before buying my 2002 4x4 SE/SC manual. Mods to date are Stillen cold-air intake, SC bypass mod, aftermarket SC pulley (9lbs boost +/- 1, M62 can handle up to 12lbs), boost gauge and dual exhaust. Without technical data but my own experience, the SC has significantly better acceleration over the non-SC from low to high end (this was before the mods). With the mods, all I can say is “What a Difference”. Even with the Nissan brush guard, the front-end lifts quit a bit during acceleration (in the process of suspension mods to correct this). I enjoy tinkering with my vehicles and have always done so but you need to be willing to pay the fiddler if something goes wrong and I accept that. I've owned a Cam Z28 350 LT1 so it's not just a speed thing. It's FUN!!!

My 2 cents, which matches my bank account. [Too much XOC]

#639944 - 14/11/02 10:13 AM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gster:
Without technical data but my own experience, the SC has significantly better acceleration over the non-SC from low to high end (this was before the mods).
Gee, glad you showed up. Now that's some relevant information. NOBODY's arguing that the SC doesn't make power from bottom to top. Of course it does. You may need to actually read this thread. And tell me you're joking about the "light" front end under acceleration. Even with those mods a stock Civic is still faster. Maybe if you put some Turbo Blue in there, you'll have to put some wheelie-bars on to keep from flipping over!

#639945 - 14/11/02 11:30 AM Re: Supercharger tech
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Well, considering a stock Honda Civic goes 0-60 in 9.3 seconds (that's with the manual tranny), you're wrong. Stock Xterra S/Cs go 0-60 in the 9 second range, and with more boost and all those other bolt-ons, I know it doesn't SLOW DOWN.

#639946 - 14/11/02 11:50 AM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Strom:
Well, considering a stock Honda Civic goes 0-60 in 9.3 seconds (that's with the manual tranny), you're wrong. Stock Xterra S/Cs go 0-60 in the 9 second range, and with more boost and all those other bolt-ons, I know it doesn't SLOW DOWN.
According to Motor Trend, a SC Frontier does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds. But it doesn't matter; I was exaggerating anyway. You'd have to add about 500 more horses and some drag slicks to an Xterra before a "light" front end would require suspension modifications. Something tells me that his mods didn't add 500 hp.

#639947 - 14/11/02 02:09 PM Re: Supercharger tech
XterraType-R Offline

Loc: Florida, Daytona Beach
Hmm.. I see a trend here with the S/C Xterra owners... Boost is in direct comparison to their I.Q.'s... Showing us that the S/C has low boost (only 5-7psi: That is according to Eaton So,Fuck your boost gauge) and the driver has a low I.Q. to match it...

Damn and I thought only Ford owners were low I.Q. schmucks...

2002 V6 4x2 Auto in Super Lame Ass Black with $900 fenders that don't fit and $12 lights on the roof

#639948 - 14/11/02 03:18 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Strom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
Quote:
[b]Well, considering a stock Honda Civic goes 0-60 in 9.3 seconds (that's with the manual tranny), you're wrong. Stock Xterra S/Cs go 0-60 in the 9 second range, and with more boost and all those other bolt-ons, I know it doesn't SLOW DOWN.
According to Motor Trend, a SC Frontier does 0-60 in 10.3 seconds. But it doesn't matter; I was exaggerating anyway. You'd have to add about 500 more horses and some drag slicks to an Xterra before a "light" front end would require suspension modifications. Something tells me that his mods didn't add 500 hp.[/b]
Yeah, I was comparing manual-to-manual. I really don't want to get involved in this (I don't even own an S/C), but I just don't like exaggeration! smile Oh well, no big deal.

#639949 - 14/11/02 03:57 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

If that "F the gauge" comment was directed at the 9psi info above, you are wrong. He has a smaller diameter aftermarket pulley that spins the SC faster than stock. Stuff more air in during the same amount of time and you create a higher pressure in the manifold. A few guys have tried smaller pulleys that increased the maximum boost to 11psi, but not without other adverse side effects. Go read some of the threads over on the Supercharged Forum on TUNFS.

#639950 - 14/11/02 06:09 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Gster Offline

Loc: Cypress, California
Hey, Iluvmyx [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger]

I forgot this wasn't a free country. So why don't you shut your trap and quit talking out your ass! I see since you can cut and paste articles it makes you the authority. Get a clue!

XterraType-R, you just showed us your IQ.

#639951 - 14/11/02 06:41 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gster:
I see since you can cut and paste articles it makes you the authority. Get a clue!
I don't blame you for being angry. You've done all you can, yet every rice-rocket in California is still faster than your truck. But don't be angry with me. And if you seriously are having a problem with the front end being light under acceleration, I suggest you take the fat chick out of the back because it certainly isn't your engine that's causing it.

#639952 - 14/11/02 06:56 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
i am really curious about the answer to this...

can anyone find anything IN PRINT the contradicts ILUVMYX's posts... anything at all.

i only ask because since the frontier came out with the S/C it has been common knowledge that it only applies boost at WOT, I'm just curious if nissan changed this or if the boost you guys "feel" is psychosomatic... you think you feel it because you expect too and also because you hear the S/C, but not because it's there...

I'd really like to see it in writing that nissan changed the design of the S/C from the fronty to the X

anyone,
anyone,
Bueler

#639953 - 14/11/02 07:01 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
i am really curious about the answer to this...

can anyone find anything [b]IN PRINT
the contradicts ILUVMYX's posts... anything at all.
[/b]
Well one of the ways would be for a SC to strap themselves on a dyno machine.

If the SC generates more HP than the non-SC V6 I gotta believe that's some "proof" that the SC is delivering boost (here more HP) over the entire powerband.

Notwithstanding the nonsense in this thread, I do believe that if my SC is only delivering boost at WOT, I've been mislead - and so have a lot of other owners.

I guess I should try to drive a non-SC V6 and see how it accelerates.

Oh well. cool

#639954 - 14/11/02 07:08 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Strom Offline

I think the best question is "What is WOT?"
If Nissan advanced the throttle to make the Xterra feel faster then you will be getting boost at less than full pedal travel - it will still be "WOT" though.
I don't think anyone is saying that the Xterra S/C doesn't get boost across the whole RPM range - it's just that the boost occurs at WOT.
There are modifications to the bypass (that are documented on this site) that will make the boost "always on". Check them out, but expect a drop in MPG.

#639955 - 14/11/02 07:08 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Silent Thunder:
If the SC generates more HP than the non-SC V6 I gotta believe that's some "proof" that the SC is delivering boost (here more HP) over the entire powerband.
You're talking about two different things. Nobody is arguing that it doesn't produce power accross the entire RPM range. YES IT DOES. That has nothing to do with the question of what the supercharger is doing at part throttle. Putting the truck on the dyno would tell you nothing--the dyno test would be done at WOT.

#639956 - 14/11/02 07:15 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Todrick Offline

that was a good point about the advanced throttle... if thats the case an S/C owner could have the pedal halfway to the floor and be at WOT, so these anecdotal stories don't mean anything... thats why i was asking for written proof../. nissan saying "the supercharger is always on, always applying boost"

hell even if it says "the supercharger applies boost proportionally to the throttle position" that would mean something, but so far the only thing they have ever said is the S/C only applies boost at WOT... that does not mean at pedal to the floor, it means at WOT

#639957 - 14/11/02 07:16 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Strom Offline

Hehe - beat you to it, ILUVMYX :p

#639958 - 14/11/02 07:21 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

Here is an NA set of chassis dyno curves from my truck, and a set from Jeb's truck.

NA 3.3 V6 (5 speed 2wd)
SC 3.3 V6 (Automatic 2wd)

Jeb, can you get a better scan of that thing? I realized that the quality is pretty crappy.

#639959 - 14/11/02 07:25 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Hehe - beat you to it, ILUVMYX :p
I saw that. So you're a faster typer! Big deal! laugh

#639960 - 14/11/02 07:29 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
that was a good point about the advanced throttle... if thats the case an S/C owner could have the pedal halfway to the floor and be at WOT, so these anecdotal stories don't mean anything...
And that's why I posted this which can be found in Car & Driver:

What is strange is just how urgently the supercharged Nissan leaps off the line with nothing more than a tap of the gas pedal, belying the mediocre drag-strip numbers. It turns out that an overly aggressive throttle linkage disproportionately opens the throttle plate when the pedal is depressed. Pure mechanical trickery, but the supercharged Frontier now easily merges into 80-mph freeway traffic.

#639961 - 14/11/02 07:36 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

Y'all really need to go compare the two with the hoods up side by side. The cam that the throttle cable hooks to on the NA engine is circular. The cam on the SC engine is more "egg" shaped. It is setup so that the beginning part of the movement is quicker, but the last 1/2 of the curve is basically the same as the NA cam.

#639962 - 14/11/02 07:41 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

So you're agreeing that the relationship between the gas pedal and throttle plate is different for an SC than an NA.

#639963 - 14/11/02 07:49 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Todrick Offline

[Spit] oops.

damn must suck to make a post that basicly says

"hey, i'm wrong"

so problem solved... the S/C only applies boost at WOT which comes quicker in the pedal travel than on an N/A engine due to a modified throttle cable linkage.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal