Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 214 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639914 - 11/11/02 05:26 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

Great actually. I have the front-end coming in 3 weeks, the rear-end is in the mail, and the rest is one or two months down the road. Thanx for checking out my site!

Who is laughing now? By the way, do you laugh at all the SAS jobs too?

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#639915 - 11/11/02 05:39 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Great actually. I have the front-end coming in 3 weeks, the rear-end is in the mail, and the rest is one or two months down the road.
Really? So you have a front axle (solid, I'm sure), a transfer case, revolvers, a 3 inch lift, a new steering system, and, of course, let's not forget the engine swap? I'll believe it when I see it. Of course, if you really did it, I'd laugh even harder than I am now. Someone wanting to convert a 2WD truck into a 4x4 is funny. But someone who actually does throw away the money to do it is hysterical! Do you realize after spending the 50 grand for truck and mods, it's still only going to be an average rig. You could have spent 2 grand and bought a more capable Jeep. Of course, that's assuming you're not full of shit in the first place.

#639916 - 11/11/02 05:49 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

Actually, no, I took a dump earlier, so I know it's not BS.

Maybe one should stop to think. Hmm. It's my truck and I can do as I please.

And what does a 4x conversion have to do with a supercharger? I see how you are evading the topic altogether now instead of trying to deny the truth. It's okay to be wrong once in a while. I know I have been, I was wrong to think you just might have an open mind.

#639917 - 11/11/02 05:55 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
And what does a 4x conversion have to do with a supercharger?
It has nothing to do with superchargers. It was a response to your attempt to insult me. I merely pointed out that insults from someone dumb enough to do that to a 2WD truck don't bother me. Now you make sure to post pics when you're done--I can't wait to see it!

#639918 - 11/11/02 06:58 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
I give up. This has just gotten down to nitpicking. Believe what you want many will know different. I don't doubt OnlyOneDR's ability to convert his truck to 4x4. Some folks like projects. Not everyone goes somewhere to have thier oil changed or have someone change thier wiper blades or light bulbs fot them either. He never claimed a SAS conversion. If he is getting all the parts pretty cheap for the conversion to 4x4, what is the harm in that? As for the motor swap, that might be a tougher nut to crack then again Calmini did it in thier X, so where there is a will (and a wallet) there is a way...
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#639919 - 11/11/02 09:08 PM Re: Supercharger tech
KevinNC Offline

Loc: NC
Well folks I think that sums it up here from the "show the world I'm an idiot" show. Tune in tomorrow night as ILUVMYX say's....."That humming is actually coming from your stereo speakers"! Some people just have to convince everyone that they are thick headed, can't admit defeat, never ever been wrong, ASSHOLE!!!! But just to show that I'm the bigger man, I would like to leave ILUVMYX with this final thought..... [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] [Finger] !!!!!!!

#639920 - 11/11/02 09:34 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

I've been wrong many many times. And I will be the first to admit that I'm wrong this time as soon as someone posts something better than "I feel it in the seat of my pants". Especially since I've found two sources--one being Nissan themselves--that say different. Funny how I'm catching all the grief from the SC owners. Defending your purchase perhaps? Hey, I too would be interested in an SC Xterra. There are times when it would be nice, but not if it only works at WOT. And so far I haven't seen any reliable evidence to the contrary. Show me some.

#639921 - 11/11/02 09:40 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Costas Offline

Loc: Burnaby, B.C.
I've driven both, and own an SC model. I can unequivocably guarantee there is a difference at part-throttle. There is no question about it. I'm not defending MY purchase, because I'm happy with the SC and I'd do it again...but it most definitely has 'power on tap' with immediate response.

Sorry guy, your info is dead wrong.

#639922 - 11/11/02 09:47 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Costas:
Sorry guy, your info is dead wrong.
Not mine; Nissan's and Canadian Driver's info.

#639923 - 11/11/02 10:28 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

And yet more. This road test from FreshAlloy . I guess they're nuts too.

The fact that the supercharger operates only at wide-open-throttle can confuse the transmission at times. Place your foot somewhat aggressively on the gas pedal and then back off and you'll find that the automatic transmission handles your fickle input quite abruptly as it tries to cope with a quick boost on/boost off situation. Thinking about calling the wedding off because of this herky jerky behavior? Just be considerate about not sending too many mixed messages and the relationship will flourish.

#639924 - 11/11/02 11:12 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Costas Offline

Nuts has nothing to do with it - the power is there, and it doesn't need to be floored to perform. It kicks in fine with a shot of juice, even part way. Obviously, if the 'test' of the supercharger means 'pedal-to-the-metal', then that's their experience.

I'll eventually install a boost guage and quantify it myself, but until then, I can only share my own experience.

#639925 - 12/11/02 06:32 AM Re: Supercharger tech
KevinNC Offline

To quote your FreshAlloy test: "place foot somewhat aggressively on the gas pedal (THIS MEANS PART THROTTLE - NOT FLOORED)....cope with quick boost on"-------so what the hell does that mean? Hmmm....seems to be boost at less than WOT!!! Not max boost, but some boost! Well thank you ILUVMYX for providing us the info to prove what we already knew....you're SO smart!!! I guess if I shit in a jar you'd swear its peanut butter because you friggin' read it on the label!!! [Finger] [LOL] [Crybaby]

#639926 - 12/11/02 12:48 PM Re: Supercharger tech
wrxterra Offline

Loc: San Diego
this thread was funny as hell

#639927 - 12/11/02 03:17 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Costas Offline

Amen. [Smoking]

#639928 - 12/11/02 06:05 PM Re: Supercharger tech
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
Just because your boost gauge is giving you a reading doesn't mean the engine is seeing that boost. The supercharger may be generating pressure, but the bypass isn't sending that pressure to the engine.
Did you actually think about this before you wrote it?

Call me crazy, but every diagram I have seen for boost guagues shows the guage tapped into the intake manafold. Not between the SC and the bypass valve.

Quote:
It only tells you that there is boost. It doesn't say where the pressure is going. The only way to know for sure is to have a way to monitor the bypass to see where the boost is going.
Are you for real? There either is boost inside the intake, or their isn't. There isn't "post supercharger but pre intake manifold no boost zone" where people magically connect their boost guages - give me a break!

By your own statement, if the bypass valve was open, it would be dumping all the boost and at the most there would be just a little pressure in the intake manifold on the positive side, maybe even a little on the negative if the bypass was doing what you are hinting at.

Guess what - that's not what he is reporting seeing with his boost guage, and it isn't what I have seen on other supercharger systems (no boost guage on my X but it's sounding like an interesting project).

And it's not what I noticed as I drove both a non-SC and SC X. I don't need a boost guage to confirm what I am feeling - the X really is a slug without the supercharger. I didn't think so (and if you search my earlier posts, I was quite emphatic about not caring about the supercharger) until I (gasp!) actually drove one for an extended period of time.

Also, I made my comparisons on models with manual trannys. No automatic transmission to mask anything - I had total control and total feel of the truck, and especially with the 5 speed there is a night and day difference.

If you don't think so - fine! Live without it - your loss. Me, I love my SC and would do it again if given the chance.

The reaction you see in this thread is directed towards you as someone who doesn't own a supercharger, is relying on marketing statments (again, those marketing guys are steller engineers and never make technical mistakes or mistatements!) and thouroughly discounting the experiences of those who have actuall tools that show what is going on without providing anything but more hearsay and speculation. None of the "reviews" you pointed to did anything other than parrot the Nissan marketing line. I didn't see any of them actually hook up a boost guage or do other testing. Members on this board have, and have reported what they see in that thing I like to call the "real world". Pardon me if I don't take their word over yours.

That's why people are reacting so strongly to your "facts".

[Wave]

If your trolling, you succedded...

#639929 - 12/11/02 06:20 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
is relying on marketing statments (again, those marketing guys are steller engineers and never make technical mistakes or mistatements!)
I really couldn't care less what you fools believe. You bought it; you have to justify it somehow. You don't even have to look any further than Eaton's web site to know that their superchargers aren't producing power very often at all. Though it doesn't mention throttle position, it does say this:

The Eaton supercharger system incorporates a specially designed bypass valve, which is actuated by a vacuum motor near the throttle body, and recirculates the supercharger air flow when boost is not required. During typical driving conditions, the engine is under boost around 5% of the time, which means the remaining 95% of the time the engine is under vacuum, allowing for better fuel economy and a quieter ride. In addition, the helix angled rotors, along with specially designed inlet and outlet port geometry, also reduce pressure variations resulting in a smooth discharge flow and a lower level of noise during operation. The associated ducting and mounting used in installing the supercharger can play a major role in reducing the noise emitted by the supercharger.

I think it's pretty safe to say that means WOT or somewhere damn close. I'm so happy for you guys. I really am. I'm so glad you feel like your truck is a rocket even at 1/2 throttle. I think the fact that it accelerates so much faster than a non-SC even at part throttle is the fact that your wallet is so much lighter.

And besides, the only reason I would consider buying one is for the extra power when going over hills. Not because there isn't enough power now, but there isn't enough power to make it on some hills without the auto trans downshifting. If the supercharger only produces power when your foot is really on the gas, then it's going to downshift before the supercharger starts supplying power anyway. It's a non-issue with a manual trans, but not with an auto.

#639930 - 12/11/02 09:03 PM Re: Supercharger tech
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
I'm so glad you feel like your truck is a rocket even at 1/2 throttle.
I will try to make the next SCCX run - So you can take a ride and check it out first hand.

BTW: Relax Coconut!

#639931 - 12/11/02 09:15 PM Re: Supercharger tech
KevinNC Offline

Tomorrow ILUVMYX will tell all the SC owners where the wingnuts are to remove the supercharger so we can change the filter. K&N part #oi8-JIZ! laugh

#639932 - 12/11/02 10:59 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinNC:
Tomorrow ILUVMYX will tell all the SC owners where the wingnuts are to remove the supercharger so we can change the filter. K&N part #oi8-JIZ! laugh
More insults. Still no proof. No surprise.

#639933 - 12/11/02 11:02 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacopico:
I will try to make the next SCCX run - So you can take a ride and check it out first hand.

Let me drive it over Vail and Loveland pass with it loaded up. If it doesn't downshift to make it up the pass, I'll be a believer. By the way, I've already driven two of them. One supercharged X, and my good friend has a supercharged Frontier.

#639934 - 13/11/02 05:33 AM Re: Supercharger tech
PackRat Offline

Loc: Wheat Ridge, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by wrxterra:
this thread was funny as hell
It holds the same morbid compulsiveness as a bug zapper. Ya know they're gonna fry, but ya can't quit watching.

ZZzzt!

Zap.

FZzzZzt....

wink

#639935 - 13/11/02 07:17 AM Re: Supercharger tech
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pacopico:
[b]I will try to make the next SCCX run - So you can take a ride and check it out first hand.

Let me drive it over Vail and Loveland pass with it loaded up. If it doesn't downshift to make it up the pass, I'll be a believer. By the way, I've already driven two of them. One supercharged X, and my good friend has a supercharged Frontier.[/b]
I meant just to see the boost -vs- throttle position.

But sure I'll let you drive it to vail, it will only cost you $20K laugh . Just think - you can keep it afterward (or sell it) too! wink

#639936 - 13/11/02 05:57 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

You have to read between the lines with Eaton's explanation of their products. Boost conditions are predicated on the fact that the absolute pressure in the intake manifold is above ambient atmospheric pressure. The supercharger is indeed increasing the pressure in the manifold even before it crosses over 0psi gauge. I have an intake vacuum gauge installed in my truck, and I have to push the accelerator pedal to WOT before the gauge will read 0psi gauge (ambient atmospheric pressure). The fact that the supercharged motors can attain 0psi before WOT is testament to the fact the supercharger is "boosting" the pressure inside the manifold. Being that this pressure may still show as vacuum (below 0psi gauge) it is not considered "boost" by Eaton, and possibly you, ILUVMYX. Part semantics, part fact. The end result is the supercharged engine is producing more power than a naturally aspirated engine at less than WOT. Why? Because the supercharger is pushing the air into the intake manifold faster than the atmosphere can. That's the point. And to give you a better idea of the man behind the now laughed-at 2WD truck, I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from NC State. Thanks for listening.

#639937 - 13/11/02 06:55 PM Re: Supercharger tech
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
And to give you a better idea of the man behind the now laughed-at 2WD truck, I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from NC State. Thanks for listening.
So you're converting your 2WD truck to a 4x4 and you're an Engineer. What's your point? That you don't have to have common sense to get an Engineering degree?

#639938 - 13/11/02 08:27 PM Re: Supercharger tech
OnlyOneDR Offline

It's funny how I present to you two logical responses to your issue at hand and you skirt them entirely and continue to focus on my truck.

Did it ever occur to you that I was attempting to lend some credibility to my response with a little bit of personal background?

And about the power-robbing issue. I cannot verify one way or the other that the SC engine produces more/less net power at a given RPM than the NA engine, but Nissan does supply the SC engine with larger injectors, and the ECM may be programmed such that they inject enough fuel to compensate for the parasitic effect of the SC itself. This is just speculation.

How about this. How much common sense does it take to cut a complete front drivetrain out of a truck and replace it with another, after having paid for the first one already? I thought so. What I am doing is about the same thing, only I'm not replacing things I already paid for, merely adding on. Were you aware that if I use factory components that the work is purely bolt-in? And that since I am going to keep the truck for a long time that it will only serve to increase it's value (over staying a 2wd) in the long run? Why do I have to justify my actions like this?

Can we stay on-topic here? Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal