Being an ex-Xterra owner and a current Frontier CrewCab owner and a Volvo V70XC AWD 2.4T (Turbo, Intercooler, 5-Cylinder) owner.... (I have previously owned 4 Volvo Turbos..a 84 760, a 97 850 T-5, a 94 850 Turbo)

So... to add my 2 cents worth.... I prefer Turbo-charging over Supercharging. Intercoolers should be used regardless of the application.

1..Why have all the extra power and fuel consumption when it is not needed? (S/C vs Turbo) Turbos will get better gas mileage when compared to Supercharged anytime...not much but at least better.

2..Smaller turbo units turn faster and with less turbo-lag (if any lag at all), as compared to larger units. My 84 760 had a Garrett T2 turbo and took a few seconds to spool up. The 850s and the XC have T3/T4 units and are noticeably less lag and less noise. I sold the 760 after amassing 300k miles on it with the original engine, turbo, intercooler and manual transmission...(and yes it would still go and handle great at 127MPH!)

3..The 760 was a 4 cylinder that developed 170HP with the turbo and intercooler. The 850's both had 5 cylinders and an intercooler and developed 240HP (some models were as high as 270HP). The XC has a newer version of the same 5 cylinder engine with more computer controls, AWD and still an intercooler and develops 200HP.

4..Volvo uses 3 types of turbos for varying applications 4 and 5 cylinder engines get the single turbo unit. All 6 cylinder engines get twin turbos.

5.. I know of a guy in LA who put a Saab turbo (same as the Volvo T2) and a Volvo Intercooler in his 4 cylinder Jeep. It seems to give better get-up and go when he needs it than the Jeep V6.

6.. The other thing is to consider other engine parts and their wear and operation.

7.. Horsepower and Torque... My Volvo develops 200hp @ 400 RPM AND....

over 200 Ft-Lbs of torque from 1800 RPM to 4500RPM!!!

Yes that's flat torque at most any speed. So I have the extra power and reserve whether I am on a dirt road or on the freeway...

Turbos are extreme machines, Volvo (for example) actually changes the bore & stroke of the engines destined for turbocharging (vs the same exact engine for normally aspirated use), among other slight enging changes. Computer controls in todays vehicles have made them more difficult to control, install and run...

Nice idea...I hope it works....and might last as long as a good turbo can....Yes I am opinionated here....