Problem posting?
by Tom
11/06/24 10:33 AM
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
11/06/24 10:32 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#67514 - 26/05/01 08:16 AM Re: Back up light
irsa76 Offline

Loc: Queanbeyan Australia
ARB had an old 4Runner with a pair of the IPF backup lights mounted under the back bumper where the spare used to mount. I talked to the current owner about them and he said they really work well. I recently saw a Toyota trayback(flatbed) with 2x100w flood lights under the back. Hmm seems that I might have a thing for lights! Must a downunder thing!

------------------
Ian-aka snork,rollover
wish I could get an X here!

#67515 - 27/05/01 09:01 AM Re: Back up light
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
like X-tempore
I'm trying to do the same thing. is it a switch or a relay thing
Auto-Off-ON
I think the wiper switch is momentary-Off-On
------------------
Allen Powell
Gator Saver
2000 Blue SE 4x2
Florida Xtreme Xterras
------------
Real Men Wear Kilts

[This message has been edited by Gator Saver (edited 05-27-2001).]
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#67516 - 27/05/01 01:17 PM Re: Back up light
arkiteqt Offline

Loc: SoCal
I put 2 55w explorer pro comps on the safari rack facing the back. I didn't splice into the reverse lights for two reasons: 1) I didn't want to mess with something that could affect my warranty, and 2) A police officer here told me that it was illegal to have those lights on in the city even though they would only be on while reversing. That may only be the case in California, I don't know.
$0.02

------------------
Relax, have a homebrew,
Joe

#67517 - 27/05/01 02:49 PM Re: Back up light
x_tempore Offline

Loc: Escondido, CA, USA
I know what you mean about California, as I live there too. Yet I see things that are so obviously illegal and/or ridiculously stupid that I wonder how they could be on the road. Ever see someone with an earie blue glow emmanating from under the car? Illegal. The odds that an officer will see me backing up and have the time to get on my case about it is pretty small. Usually things like faulty lisence plate lights are an excuse to pull someone over they think is "suspicious." Besides, if I have a three-way switch and I see him, I'd turn off the lights. In fact, I would probably always have them off unless I had a hard time seeing out the back.

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4

#67518 - 27/05/01 05:15 PM Re: Back up light
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
I have 4 100watt lights on the back of my truck for back-up only, they work great and I have never had any cop say anything to me about it.
"My truck" I mean my work truck '99 GMC Ambulance. and of course it would be up to me to save the cop's @ss if anything happen to him/her.

------------------
Gator Saver
2000 Blue SE 4x2
Florida Xtreme Xterras
------------
Real Men Wear Kilts
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#67519 - 30/08/02 11:20 AM Re: Back up light
Charlie_X Offline

Loc: California
Has anyone mounted a backup light straight to the crossbar on the roofrack?

I'm going to mount one this weekend, and was looking for any suggestions. I have two lights to choose from: a 100 W, or a 55 W. The 100 W is an offroad lamp, and the 45 W is a tractor flood.

#67520 - 30/08/02 12:33 PM Re: Back up light
Harrison Offline

Loc: Fort Worth/ Lubbock, Texas
I am going to mount mine to the Yakima Light Mounting Bracket on my LoadWarrior pointing down and back. I am still working out the wiring.

Harrison

#67521 - 30/08/02 03:18 PM Re: Back up light
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Just thought to share with you guys...

This is what I did. The lights are generic Wal-Mart lights, directly mounted to the bumper, <$15 for a set, 55w. Have not had any problem so far.

#67522 - 31/08/02 04:28 PM Re: Back up light
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I finnally got my Back-Up lights mounted.

I got the 55w KC Backup lights and they're like frigging floodlights, I can't believe how bright they are.

I was going to mount them to the crossbar with mihgty mounts but the mounting hardware fits perfectly to the tie down loops on my Yakima Basket Case Rack.

With most backup lights (including the KC's) they wire tap going to the stock backup lights is only to trigger a relay, you usually have to run a power wire all the way to the battery to supply power to the lights. Which is a good way to set things up because you can run a thicker wire with more amps to power a higher power light.

I wish I had a picture of my lights on the rack they look really good mounted on the rack.
And they light up a 120 degree arc behind the Xterra from the ground to the tree-tops in the yard across from my driveway.

I highly recommend the KC Backup Light kit. It doesn't come with a switch to power the lights independantly but it wouldn't be to hard to put a $3 switch on the relay trigger wire to to get it to work (I may do this in the future).

Xterra101.com

#67523 - 02/09/02 04:56 PM Re: Back up light
Harrison Offline

Loc: Fort Worth/ Lubbock, Texas
I just installed my lights below is a photo. I haven’t wired them yet but you can see the mounts and the lights. I am going to wire them once I can get some shade. My auto parts store here only had 1 relay so I will just have it hooked up on off and run all the wire run till they get more latter this week. I used CB mounts to attach them to the rack.

Harrison

#67524 - 03/09/02 09:39 AM Re: Back up light
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
Hey Harrison... Nice setup... But just a recommendation... You may want to reduce
the pixel size of your picture... It's awfully big, even for my 1024x768 screen area!
Other than that, the lights look sweet... Oh yeah... Nice bird poop on that second
shot... Lates!!

- Air B

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal