Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35891 - 06/06/03 12:20 AM High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
After reading various 4x4 books, I'm convinced that I must get a High-Lift before I go out to camp for the summer.

But my question is, can the High-Lift be used in anyway on a stock X? I don't see any point on the vehicle suitable for a High-Lift. I don't currently have the money to invest in a Calmini or ARB bumper. There're also talks of an adaptor. Anything for the X?

Even if I can't use it as a jack, I'll still buy one to use as a winch. I'm guessing that a real winch plus a suitable bumper would cost be at least $1000 to $1500.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#35892 - 06/06/03 01:28 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
In a pinch, you could use it anywhere. It may bend stuff, but it could prevent being stuck a long time or a hefty towing bill.

I have one, it's on my roof, and I've only used it for other vehicles. The one time I got a flat (in a hailstorm in a mud bog), I used the factory jack.

#35893 - 06/06/03 04:00 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
I would also recomend a highlift. Invest $200.00 for some rock sliders and you just added vehicle length jack points for the highlift plus some additional protection. Still cheaper than a winch & bumper.

#35894 - 06/06/03 07:32 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
It can be used in the receiver hitch if you have one. I don't.
Had to lift the rear of my X with a Hi-lift by the rear bumper. Bent the bumper a bit, but it worked.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#35895 - 06/06/03 07:40 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Brent, how would you use high lift on the hitch ?

#35896 - 06/06/03 07:48 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Samueul Offline

I would think you could use it right under the 2" reciever portion? I never have, but it doesn't seem like you couldn't do it????

#35897 - 06/06/03 07:50 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
OffroadX Offline

Insert the lifting arm into the receiver itself.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#35898 - 06/06/03 08:06 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Insert the lifting arm into the receiver itself.
That will not work

the lip on the High lift lifting arm will prevent the high lift from standing up straight

Samueul :
that will not work too ;(
see above reason

#35899 - 06/06/03 08:13 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
[b]Insert the lifting arm into the receiver itself.
That will not work

the lip on the High lift lifting arm will prevent the high lift from standing up straight

Samueul :
that will not work too ;(
see above reason[/b]
Inside does not work, however under works quite nicely, though somewhat unstable.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#35900 - 06/06/03 08:15 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

Unstable = DONT WORK

I would not want to change the tire if my truck is unstable

#35901 - 06/06/03 08:20 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Samueul Offline

Quote:
Unstable = DONT WORK

I'd have to agree with this. If it's unstable in any way I would not want to do it unless I absolutely had too.....

#35902 - 06/06/03 08:24 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

Plz excuse my drawing skils, ( i know they suck ) but here is a small file to indicate why it would not work if you put a highlift into the hitch

( this is if you are looking from the side of the hitch )

#35903 - 06/06/03 08:31 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
OffroadX Offline

Oleg, your drawing skills are better than your English skills! wink

Just a joke man, hope you agree.

Brent

#35904 - 06/06/03 08:36 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

yep

my drawing, and english gets the point acros wink

#35905 - 06/06/03 10:25 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess the answer is that I have to choose between a dented vehicle or a stuck vehicle frown .

I was gonna use the jack for the pivoting extraction method where you jack up the truck and push it sideways. Looks like I need an after marked bumper for that.

#35906 - 06/06/03 10:35 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
[b]Unstable = DONT WORK

I'd have to agree with this. If it's unstable in any way I would not want to do it unless I absolutely had too.....[/b]
I would never change a tire like this, but it is useful for getting the rear end up to get unstuck.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#35907 - 06/06/03 12:04 PM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Use the factory jack to change a tire, it works great smile

#35908 - 06/06/03 12:17 PM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]I would not want to change the tire if my truck is unstable
Use the factory jack to change a tire, it works great smile [/b]
Yep
Or Highlift on the slider, works great too

#35909 - 06/06/03 12:31 PM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I personally would never want to use a hi-lift to change a tire. A decent bottle jack will work. My factory jack will not lift the truck high enough to remove the tires anymore.

Additionally if you do get and use a hi-lift, read the instructions. It is a great tool, but it is also very dangerous. They tend to fall over easily, or smack you in the head. Never ever let go of the handle when jacking up the vehicle, or letting it down. If you do it has a tendency to slam upwards with great force. Lots of people have gotten the shit smacked out of them in the head from this. Whenever you are not lifting or lowering it make sure the handle is up. Like I said, a great tool, but you must respect it the same way you respect a gun.

#35910 - 06/06/03 11:01 PM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Aren't they called Widowmakers cause of that? I remember reading on here about some guy that got his head fucked up pretty bad cause he got nailed in the face by one. [Uh Oh !]

The factory jack works in a pinch but man, I had trouble with it last time I had a flat. My rear driver's tire was completely flat and I couldn't get the mofo under the rear jack point for shit. I had to borrow a factory jack from my father-in-law to jack the front so I could(barely) get enough room under the rear jack point. [Freak]

It got a little hairy there for a minute or two. To top that off, it was 2:30 in the morning and it decided to rain as soon as I got the second jack. Not a good night. :rolleyes:

#35911 - 07/06/03 12:17 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
My rear driver's tire was completely flat and I couldn't get the mofo under the rear jack point for shit.
That's what the new notice from Nissan is about (I still haven't got mine in the mail), you need to jack under the axle, not the spring mount.

#35912 - 07/06/03 12:58 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
That's what the new notice from Nissan is about (I still haven't got mine in the mail), you need to jack under the axle, not the spring mount.
Thanks for the info. smile

#35913 - 07/06/03 08:40 AM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
Robert C. Offline

Loc: Alabama
Speaking of HiLifts, I just went out and bought one the other day. I tried to winch with it (just trying to pull out a stump), but of course I didn't get an offroad kit so the chain just kept slipping off the lifting part (although the instructions say you're supposed to be able to winch straight out of the box).

As per using the reciever, the Jackall has an accesory available for it to do just that. I can't seem to find any pics, so they may not make them anymore. 4Wheeler magazine ran a special on them a year or so ago that featured it. However, I'm thinking of buying a drawbar and cutting off the ball mount. Then I'll drill a hole to run a pin through the bar and the jack's hole at the bottom of the lifting lip. I'll probably also cut a slot in the top of the bar to allow the lip at the end of the lifting portion so I won't get the Olegkha syndrome.

The HiLift also makes a great winch (as I mentioned earlier). It's very slow, but it can winch up to 5k lbs. Using it with a tow hitch mounted in a towing reciever or on the frame under the front bumper is a whole lot cheaper than a winch and winch bumper, especially if you don't offroad too much or don't plan on getting extremely stuck (in that case you should have another vehicle[s] to pull you out).

HiLift makes a bumper adapter for curved bumpers. However, since X bumpers are plastic (so far as I know, I have a Frontier, not an X), I'm not sure if it will work. However, since Brent said he used it as a jack point it must be ok :p .

The HiLift can also be used as a clamp or spreader. It's an all-around versatile tool. However, it weighs about 30 lbs. so it's not always that fun to whip out, but it does look very cool sitting in your driveway when people drive by and try to figure out what it is.

#35914 - 07/06/03 02:55 PM Re: High-Lift Jack on stock vehicle?
OffroadX Offline

The center portion of the X rear bumper is steel. The corner pieces are plastic.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal