2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#29559 - 21/01/05 05:54 PM THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok i was reading up on the dyi maintanence forum and i discoverd that my v6 only held 3.5 quarts and i just changed it the day before and put in 5 quarts. It was dusk when i changed it and couldn't see the oil on the wire dipstick. today i checked it and sure enough it was way high. so i drained 1 1/2 quarts out and she's perfect, thanks for the good info otherwise i would be looking for some seals

#29560 - 21/01/05 07:42 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I just changed my oil and added 5 quarts, and then drained some when I found out it only takes 3.5.

#29561 - 21/01/05 10:00 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Read your owners manual!!!

#29562 - 21/01/05 11:17 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Wow is all I can say

#29563 - 22/01/05 10:18 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a car dealer and if you have bought very many used cars you will find out that most don't have the owners manual in them anymore. plus i don't know anyone that sits down and reads that manual before doing anything. instead of "read your owners manual" i would say don't be a dumbass like me and change your oil in poor light

#29564 - 22/01/05 12:19 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
Quote:
Originally posted by polock:
I'm a car dealer and if you have bought very many used cars you will find out that most don't have the owners manual in them anymore. plus i don't know anyone that sits down and reads that manual before doing anything. instead of "read your owners manual" i would say don't be a dumbass like me and change your oil in poor light
I have changed my oil in poor light many times, but I have never changed my oil not knowing how much oil was required. I would say don't be a dumbass and change oil not knowing how much oil to put in. If you don't have an owners manual, they are available on line and Haynes manuals with this information are readily available.

#29565 - 22/01/05 01:43 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Quote:
plus i don't know anyone that sits down and reads that manual before doing anything. instead of "read your owners manual" i would say don't be a dumbass like me and change your oil in poor light
I did as soon as I got home. Plus before I tried to do any maint. I checked here, and other places online for amounts and types of stuff to use. Will the amount of knowledge around via internet, dealers, manuals, and so on there is just no reason not to know except lazyness.

#29566 - 22/01/05 02:30 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

XOC, the friendliest place on earth.

Glad you guys got it all worked out. What kind of oil did you use?

#29567 - 22/01/05 02:53 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Hey Alan,

Long time, no chat! Good question on the oil...
I've been wanting to ask you-- what do you think of switching to a synthetic blend after 90000 miles of good ol' regular Mobil 1?

And check this out, P:

2001 Manual, 5 bucks.

It *is* worth the read.

#29568 - 22/01/05 07:11 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
$5?
Download it from Nissan, its free. smile

#29569 - 22/01/05 10:10 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Third hand story-

A guy changed the oil on his girl's newer Civic. She gets up in the morning, tries to start the car and hears a really loud *BANG*. Decides to forgo driving for the day. At the shop, they discovered the oil filter had blown out. Not off, out. Like somebody fired a .357 round from inside. Too much oil, they said....

#29570 - 23/01/05 02:24 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
polock wrote: "I'm a car dealer and if you have bought very many used cars you will find out that most don't have the owners manual in them anymore."

You see statements like this on forums all the time. So can anyone tell me where all these owners manuals have gone? There's gotta be a huge pile of these things someplace...

dave and xtoy - when all else fails, read the instructions

#29571 - 23/01/05 05:42 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Smith Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
polock wrote: "I'm a car dealer and if you have bought very many used cars you will find out that most don't have the owners manual in them anymore."

You see statements like this on forums all the time. So can anyone tell me where all these owners manuals have gone? There's gotta be a huge pile of these things someplace...

dave and xtoy - when all else fails, read the instructions
eBay

#29572 - 23/01/05 08:21 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
electrobuzz Offline

Landfills. Thrown out with the leftover Burger King napkins.

#29573 - 23/01/05 08:52 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Dan, yeah, long time no hear!

You'd be OK to make the switch, as the Mobil 1 wouldn't have left the sludge in the motor that the dino oil would've.

Switch away Dan, you're good to go.

#29574 - 23/01/05 08:55 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
electrobuzz Offline

Thanks, A!

Might have to bring ol' Yeller in for 100000 miles here soon. She's far from being shot, tho -- no worrries. Knock on wood.

#29575 - 24/01/05 06:27 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the people that were not being smart asses, I used Mobil 1 5w30, and to the question where do all the owners manuals go? A lot of people do not put them back in the car if they have, for some reason, taken it out. I don't know how many used cars I have bought missing the owners manual.

To all that were not just being a smart ass finger: I was just trying to thank the site.

I have never heard of a SUV taking 3.5 quarts. Now on my civic, I got online and checked before my first service and found that it too took 3.5 quarts. Never would I have thought of a bigger truck only taking that much. I have changed my oil for going on 8 years on my boats, 4-wheelers and vehicles, and one screw up isn't bad lol.

#29576 - 24/01/05 08:33 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Ok i was reading up on the dyi maintanence forum and i discoverd that my v6 only held 3.5 quarts and i just changed it the day before and put in 5 quarts. It was dusk when i changed it and couldn't see the oil on the wire dipstick. today i checked it and sure enough it was way high. so i drained 1 1/2 quarts out and she's perfect, thanks for the good info otherwise i would be looking for some seals
Dam thats good info, and did you know the filter from the dealer has a check valve in it, so when you start the engin you have the right amount of oil still in the heads, if you use a cheap filter you can hear the valves knock when you start it till it builds pressure.

#29577 - 25/01/05 11:50 AM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got an X, that just had the oil changed before I got it. I got my previous vehicle's oil changed at a Firestone outside my office - What brands/models of filters have a check valve? My previous vehilce was a '94 Pathfinder that makes a racket on cold starts - I'm guessing no check valve since I believe the engines are essentially the same...

Or, more to the point - how can I ensure and confim (myself - I don't trust those Firestone guys for some reason ;-) that I get a filter with a check valve, besides asking for one?

#29578 - 25/01/05 12:35 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Polock:

Don't sweat the guys giving you a hard time. This forum has some incredibly nice people who will give you a square answer without ridicule and BS. unfortunately, it has it's share of guys who like to flame and constantly try to make others look foolish.

I myself had a similar situation regarding the oil in my X. The first oil change (for me anyway) was done by the non-Nissan dealership where I bought it. They had even called the Nissan Dealership to confirm the amount and were told 4.5 or 4.8 quarts! (yes I know they have "alldata" and the manual to reference, but as Pollock has said and I have said--no one initially expects these to only take 3.5qts)

Anyway, it was because I had logged in here and had monitored some threads that I suspected something was wrong. In the long run I hope I noticed the screwup in time, but thank the lord I did not drive it around too much before getting it addressed!

In general, lot of supportive folks answered my queries and unfortunately one or two of the other types did as well. Don't get discouraged!

All the best my friend,

Lee

#29579 - 25/01/05 12:40 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Smith Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanO:
Or, more to the point - how can I ensure and confim (myself - I don't trust those Firestone guys for some reason ;-) that I get a filter with a check valve, besides asking for one?
Either change the oil yourself, or take an OEM filter to the grease monkeys. It's very easy to change the oil yourself and know that it's done right, such as correct amount of oil, right filter, no stripped/missing bolts on the skid plate, etc. I will NEVER let a quick lube place touch my truck. [Uh Oh !]

#29580 - 25/01/05 12:43 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Smith Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OneZero:
Polock:

This forum has some incredibly nice people who will give you a square answer without ridicule and BS.
You called? [Wave]

#29581 - 25/01/05 01:07 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Smith:

Yes, you qualify my friend! smile

Lee

#29582 - 25/01/05 08:34 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Change it your self it's easy, I'm a chick and I do it, there is nothing to it, and when you love your truck like I do , I just don't want anyone near it but me.

[Smoking]

#29583 - 25/01/05 08:47 PM Re: THIS SITE JUST SAVED ME THOUSANDS
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
I have never heard of a SUV taking 3.5 quarts.
Guess this would be a life lesson then - don't assume, check a reference. Heck, I've owned used cars before that didn't come with owners manuals, but my pappy also taught me (pre internet days) to go to the library and at least look in the haynes manual to check the capacity of the oil wink

Glad you got it out before it caused problems and enjoy your X!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal