Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32280 - 05/07/05 01:49 PM Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im looking at a 4x4 2000 Xterra with 62k miles on it. What are some things I should look for when deciding if its been taken care of and its a good deal? Anything specific to x's? They want $11k for it and kbb and nada say its around $14k so it seems like a good deal but im not a mechanic. I know my way around a car but would like to hear what you experts have to say.

#32281 - 05/07/05 01:57 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take a good hard look underneath and see if there are any scratches dents or dings. Look at the transmission, transfercase and the bottom of the engine for leaks. Check the right side exhaust manifold while cold for leaks. Check all the windows for proper operation. After you do that spend some money to have an independent mechanic to take a look at in and while he's doing that run a carfax report on it to see if there is anything else hidden in it's history.

#32282 - 05/07/05 02:23 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll just add one thing. After a test drive, w/the a/c on, shut the engine off, pop the hood, and feel the inner surface of the radiator. It s/b evenly hot/warm. Any cold spots and there's a clog, which could be an indication of past or future overheating.

#32283 - 05/07/05 02:45 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

definetly have a mechanic look at, can save alot of headaches and money in the future.If they don't want to let you take it to a mechanic there probably hiding something, good luck.

#32284 - 05/07/05 03:24 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pretty much everthing else that GrandForks didn't mention would apply as well as to any other car.

Check belts for cracks and wear. Check hoses. Make sure they are not cracked and they do not look dryed out. Check for abnormal war on tires. If you can check for obvious and not so obvious leaks under the truck. Thest drive the truck and take it over bumps if possible and listen if the suspension makes any weird noise. Stuff like that. Good luck.

#32285 - 05/07/05 08:35 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all your replies. Is that a good price for one with 62k miles? Its dark green. Alpine green I think? Also when should the timing belt be replaced?

#32286 - 05/07/05 08:42 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2000 X with over 116,000 miles on it, and I have never replaced the timing belt. My X has been great.

#32287 - 05/07/05 08:49 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeow eek Lindsay, you should reeally look into your timing belt service soon. It's recommended at 105K and if it goes, it takes the engine with it frown .. Not to be an alarmist or anything. You just seem so happy since you've found your way here (XOC) w/ your new truck smile

As for JohnnyH, buy it , only get it for $10k and use the extra $1k to buy a set of 4 NIB 16" bronze NISMO wheels from me [ThumbsUp]

#32288 - 05/07/05 08:57 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will look into it, for sure. Thanks! Yeah, it is definitely time for that.

On another note...I have had my X for years. I am just new to the forums...not new to Xterras. smile

#32289 - 05/07/05 09:06 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
A pretty good checklist and some good advice in general:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm

#32290 - 05/07/05 09:52 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought a 2000 xterra se(v6, 4wd, at) with 83k miles for $9999. And that was from a dealer. They had done some work on it, replace the belts and brake pad, turning the rotors. But the passenger side exhaust manifold was cracked, the upper radiator hose was leaking, and the rear shocks were blown. The dealership replaced the upper hose and split the cost of the manifold with me. I replaced the rear shocks myself, so everything said and done it came out to $10400 or so. Oh and there was a huge dent in the door so that saved me some money too. But if you're buying from a private seller you should have more room for negotiation.

With over 50k miles on the one you're looking at, the shocks will probably need to be replaced.

#32291 - 06/07/05 05:15 AM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

How can I tell if the shocks are blown in it?

#32292 - 06/07/05 04:26 PM Re: Things to look for when buying a used Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

shove down hard on the rear bumper. If the back end bounces up and down hard more than 3 times, the shocks are no longer working. (This is just an estimate... try this on a new car for comparison to see what it looks like when the shocks are working right)

Do a search on shocks, you'll see that most people recommend replacing the stock shocks with Bilsteins anyhow. Let alone on a vehicle with 50k+ miles.

And regarding KBB (and NADA as well I suppose), those numbers are merely an average of what dealers are setting the asking price at. It has nothing to do with what people actually pay for that vehicle. For a more accurate "fair market" value, try Edmunds "True Market Value" calculator at http://www.edmunds.com.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal