2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15354 - 04/08/05 02:24 PM Day trip - part 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was packed for the possibility of an overnight stay if my trip went too late in to the night. After dusting the crumbs out of the back of the car, I walked around and talked to different people there. I met a guy with a heavy French accent who had the same camera as mine. We spent a few minutes talking about how great it was and went off in different directions to shoot more pictures.

The road to Big Sur makes a pretzel look straight. I'd never make it as a passenger. I'd get car sick in seconds. I lasted a little longer as the driver. I rolled down the window and the fresh sea air surged in and I felt better.

Pine trees started to line the road.

Soon tunnels of overhanging pines.

Around one bend in the road and my GPS announced I had arrived at my destination.

It was a tough choice, but I knew I couldn't stay. I had hundreds of miles to go before I felt the comfort of my own bed. I tapped in to the GPS that I wanted a route home. It had me going far north and I thought there had to be some other ways to cut across to the 101 or 5. I browsed the map and found a better way; told the Go to route me there and badda bing, I was on my way.

Unfortunately, there was no way around having to go through Salinas.

Lucky for me, I didn't deal with too much of that. I was soon doing 75 down the 101, until I met the 46, where I cut across towards the 5. The sun was getting low as I drove through miles and miles of hot, brown hills.

At the 5, I stopped to fill up, grab an Arby's beefy chedder, and work the feeling back in to my legs. Shortly after I took off the sun was down and I was zooming along as fast as I dared. This is the first car I've had with cruise control and made the most of it. Big rig trucks were a continuous line and in the darkness, it was like a gigantic Disney Electric Light Parade, minus the fun music, and smell of popcorn. In fact, the only popping sound was the clouds of bugs smacking in to the windshield to the point where I had my wipers going every few minutes.

At last I hit the Grapevine. The pass between Hungry Valley and Santa Clarita where you face a long climb. The Xterra never broke stride. Coming down the long road the land opens up on a sea of sparkling lights. Looking at the GPS, I saw I was a short way from home. All I wanted was to be there and after 656 miles, I pulled up in to my driveway.

I was too tired to appreciated then, but as I write this now, it's pretty cool to think about it. Never once was I lost, or did I worry about where I was. I had a car that could take me anywhere on or off road, and it worked like a champ. I actually achieved what I had wanted to do; get on the road and go. No wondering how I would get there. No stressing where I would find a place to eat or fill up. No hoping my car wouldn't overheat, or knok out. The only deadline was what I decided.

It was the best day trip I've had in years.

#15355 - 04/08/05 03:12 PM Re: Day trip - part 3
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Sounded like it was a great little trip for ya...I love just taking off and doing these type of trips...

#15356 - 04/08/05 03:28 PM Re: Day trip - part 3
DeepSIX Offline

Loc: where no other SUV has gone be...
Thanks for sharing your great day trip photos!!! With your tools, truck and GPS, nothing will stop you from exploring!!! Great X color by the way [ThumbsUp] wink

How much did the Tomx2 set you back?

A man is not complete until he is married, then he is finished... -Locals

#15357 - 04/08/05 04:15 PM Re: Day trip - part 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepSIX:
Thanks for sharing your great day trip photos!!! With your tools, truck and GPS, nothing will stop you from exploring!!! Great X color by the way [ThumbsUp] wink

How much did the Tomx2 set you back?
Thanks for the complement. I passed a knight armor 2005 X. I wonder if that belongs to anyone here.
They were just a few miles north of Big Sur.

700 bucks for the Tomtom. Best darn money I ever spent.

#15358 - 04/08/05 04:18 PM Re: Day trip - part 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya sure the hefty drive up to Big Sur was such a good idea on a brand new spankin' truck? Or did you already have a chance to break her in properly?

That aside, I frickin' love Big Sur. And the coastline trip up the 101 is something every self-respecting Californian should try at least once. I had some out of town friends who insisted on taking that route instead of the 5 on a road trip to SF once. Granted it took about 3 hours longer to get there than the 5 but certainly well worth it. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

#15359 - 04/08/05 05:42 PM Re: Day trip - part 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by billyburger:
Ya sure the hefty drive up to Big Sur was such a good idea on a brand new spankin' truck? Or did you already have a chance to break her in properly?

That aside, I frickin' love Big Sur. And the coastline trip up the 101 is something every self-respecting Californian should try at least once. I had some out of town friends who insisted on taking that route instead of the 5 on a road trip to SF once. Granted it took about 3 hours longer to get there than the 5 but certainly well worth it. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
I had about 800 miles on it before the trip. I figured, it should be okay by then.

#15360 - 12/08/05 09:23 AM Re: Day trip - part 3
efras Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Great write up and awesome pictures. I drove down the coast with the X last summer and loved it. The pictures brought back great memories.

Let us know next time you make a day trip!

#15361 - 12/08/05 10:06 AM Re: Day trip - part 3
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. I'm trying to think up where to go for another day trip. No idea yet, though.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal