Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#3248 - 31/08/05 11:05 AM Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone,

I work for International Catastrophe Solutions (www.INTLCAT.COM) and my company does disaster recovery. I maybe driving my 05 X down to New Orleans to help my clients.

I have already thought of:

1. Extra 5 Gallon Gas Tanks (3 or 4)
2. I have a yakima roof basket to load stuff.
3. Lot's of bottled water (30-40 gallons)
4. Two or three extra tires and rims.
5. Tire plug kits.
6. Satellite phone.
7. Emergency power generator.

Any thoughts on how to water proof my truck?
How would I build and/or buy a snorkel so I can ford water - not like a submarine but like 2-3 feet of water in the streets?

Anything else extra I should buy in Los Angeles where supplies are not an issue? Will I need radiator fluid? Oil? An extra fan belt?

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

If anyone knows any commercial clients that need water extraction/recovery services for commercial
businesses that would be insurable under a commercial property or flood policy please call me. Mark Young - Interantional Catastrohpe Solutions 323-215-5033.

#3249 - 31/08/05 11:15 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I doubt there is a snorkel available for the '05s yet - but you could always rig something up... but snorkels aren't really the total answer. It won't keep you from getting your ECU wet etc.

I'd be really REALLY careful about deep water crossings (have seen too many stories of destroyed trucks). Walk through it before driving through it - and if it is going to come over the bumper don't risk it.

Also, I dunno what it is really like down there, but with the stories of looting etc I wouldn't go near there without my .45

Good luck [ThumbsUp]

Oh - and plenty of canned food + a camp stove would be a good idea.

#3250 - 31/08/05 11:34 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know how to help you, but I want to wish you good luck!! [ThumbsUp]

#3251 - 31/08/05 11:35 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dunno about fording water, but I'd definately be packing a side arm.

#3252 - 31/08/05 11:43 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
All that water I'd say a spare alternator would be advantageous. Not sure if dealers or autoparts stores will be open for awhile. Pick one up at your dealer... maybe tell him what you are planning... and return it if not used smile

#3253 - 31/08/05 12:00 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure how to "waterproof" the X, but here is a list of things I would take.

Personal Items:
Lots of Water
Water filter pump (a real one...ie MSR, not a Brita)
Canned and/or dehydrated food
Cookstove with fuel (if you don't have one I would look at the MSR WhisperLite Internationale...it can use just about any kind of liquid fuel)
Space blanket (there should be two in the X's first aid kit)
Water proof flashlight
Nylon clothes. You don't want to be wearing cotton in the water.
A typical survival kit. First aid, water proof mathes, etc...

Vehicle Items:
Fuel (20 Gallons)
6 qt's oil
Oil filter
Tire compressor (it will take a long time to fill a flat, but it will do it)
Full sized spare (I don't think you need 3)
2 Qt tranny fluid (if it's an A/T)

#3254 - 31/08/05 12:26 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would first start out by posting this in the "general" forum. You are limiting yourself to answers in this one.

#3255 - 31/08/05 12:27 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

GPS sidearm small ax pry bar flash lights(waterproof) lighters 50 feet of good rope couple of knifes zip ties tape Good luck

#3256 - 31/08/05 01:07 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take a boat.

#3257 - 31/08/05 01:35 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think everyone has just about covered it but good luck man! The boat is a great idea too!

#3258 - 31/08/05 01:42 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn Mark!! OH and LOTS OF AMMO.

It you come through CO on your way back maybe we can hook up fer a beer.

#3259 - 31/08/05 02:04 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Stop here in TX and you can take my canoe smile

#3260 - 31/08/05 03:01 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

extra tires are a great idea. You don't know what you're running over....roof nails, debris, and most of it under water.

Take LOTS of plugs and a reliable, fast portable source of air.

#3261 - 31/08/05 03:02 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about:
-inflatable rubber boat (costco has some big ones) with high volume foot pump. I think a 15' flatbottom bayou boat would be better however.
- ladder for getting onto roofs.
- Tow ropes
- large ax, crowbars, sledge hammer (if someone is trapped in an attic.
- with the generator maybe a sawzall?
- warm clothes (no cotton!) if the disaster recovery is going to go as reported, you may be there into December.
- neoprene seat covers and rubber floor mats

Also:
- make sure you're up to date on your Tetanus (sp?), Hepatitus, Diptheria, etc. shots. There are going to be all sorts of nasties floating around in the that water!

#3262 - 31/08/05 03:27 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

He's from CA. Stop here and pick up the sidearm or 12 ga.

#3263 - 31/08/05 03:27 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont for get tools to make repairs, such as an alternator.
Use a little di-electric grease on your conectors.
Good sized hammer is nice to have (3-5 lbs).
A lantern that runs on the same fuel source as your stove is also good.
A couple hand held FRS'
And for God's sake, don't forget duct tape!

#3264 - 31/08/05 05:27 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rimedic:
GPS sidearm small ax pry bar flash lights(waterproof) lighters 50 feet of good rope couple of knifes zip ties tape Good luck
And a few commas....

#3265 - 31/08/05 05:42 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
go to Wal-Mart and pick up a $30 bilge pump and tuping. they are 12v and automatically comeon.

#3266 - 31/08/05 05:57 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont know if anyone mentioned...a power converter for the truck...to run a laptop or use it to charge FRS's, spotlights etc...a come along just incase you get stuck or stuff is in the way that needs to get moved...well stocked first aid kit, good luck man, stay safe

#3267 - 31/08/05 06:19 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
How bout a few dozen cases of iodine tablets so that people can drink whatever freshwater they have on hand and kill all the little buggies in it??

#3268 - 31/08/05 06:53 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Nothing for nothing but I'd take anything but a brand new X down there. X's just aren't designed for fording water that deep and there are many disaster stories of X's being stranded from alternators going bad after crossing water in excess of 2 feet.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#3269 - 31/08/05 06:53 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
If you can find/get one, get a Katadyn expedition water filter. Spendy - about $900 but will put out a lot of drinking water quickly. Spare filters are about $100. The filter will last a LONG time with cleaning.

#3270 - 31/08/05 08:01 PM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

dont forget most of that water is contaminated like a biatch because everything is above ground there; gas tanks and coffins are some of the cause. i heard some people say they could smell gasoline in the water. i'll send you some luck.

#3271 - 01/09/05 01:14 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone,

Thank you for the info and kind words. My boss hasn't decided who will be drafted versus volunteers. I will keep everyone posted and probably buy half of what was suggested here if I am drafted to go to New Orleans.

Mark

#3272 - 01/09/05 01:47 AM Re: Maybe going to New Orleans-How to prepare my truck?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good luck..Bring hand sanitizer, bug spray(DEET)Eye wash, surgical or rubber gloves, Masks, oil of peppermint to drible on the masks(cuts the odor down), baby wipes to clean up with, Triple antibiotic cream and tons of bandaids.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal