Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#628028 - 21/09/05 11:46 AM Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are a whole lot smarter than me on this, so here goes.
I've picked up some spyware, a trojan, worm or something. It's affiliated with a bogus site advertising "WinFixer 2005." Keeps crashing my browser (especially if I try to go to any anti-virus or spyware sites), pop-ups for the winfixer site, etc.
Here's what I know:
- I'm running up to date Symantec antivirus and firewall...doesn't detect it.
- Adaware doesn't detect it.
- Spybot caught it, and says it deleted it...it didn't.
- I cannot boot in safe mode and re-run these aps...won't let me (I hit F8 all day while trying to reboot...is there another way?)
- I cannot do a system restore...won't let me.
- Can't find a removal tool
- When I try to put my system into "stand by," it turns back on. It's freaky...I see the hard drive light start whirling, fan kicks on (it's a laptop), but the screen stays off.
Before I do do a full reformat, is there anything else you guys can recommend?
Any help is appreciated!

#628029 - 21/09/05 01:00 PM Re: Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

What OS are you running?
What kind of laptop? (F8 might not be the command key - just double checking)

If no luck from anyone else here, you can check w/ the guys over at Major Geeks ... maybe try running HijackThis, but you'll probably need help from greater powers that be w/ cleaning registry/system files. Good luck man...

#628030 - 21/09/05 01:24 PM Re: Spyware help!!
sdx Offline

Loc: Boston
Quote:
Originally posted by Paceman:
Ok, I know a lot of you guys are a whole lot smarter than me on this, so here goes.
I've picked up some spyware, a trojan, worm or something. It's affiliated with a bogus site advertising "WinFixer 2005." Keeps crashing my browser (especially if I try to go to any anti-virus or spyware sites), pop-ups for the winfixer site, etc.
Here's what I know:
- I'm running up to date Symantec antivirus and firewall...doesn't detect it.
- Adaware doesn't detect it.
- Spybot caught it, and says it deleted it...it didn't.
- I cannot boot in safe mode and re-run these aps...won't let me (I hit F8 all day while trying to reboot...is there another way?)
- I cannot do a system restore...won't let me.
- Can't find a removal tool
- When I try to put my system into "stand by," it turns back on. It's freaky...I see the hard drive light start whirling, fan kicks on (it's a laptop), but the screen stays off.
Before I do do a full reformat, is there anything else you guys can recommend?
Any help is appreciated!
It's Windows because F8 works right before the OS loads up.

As for sites, attempt to go to this site

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

if you can't get to those sites, grab firefox or opera and attempt those scans again. Another place, download microsoft antispyware, great for replacing default settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

and last but not least... reload [Freak]

#628031 - 21/09/05 01:38 PM Re: Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

OS is Windows XP. I'm trying another forum with an application called "vundofix." Apparently this bastard spyware is relatively new, so beware. If I get it resolved, I'll let you guys know in case anyone else get infected/afflicted. Thanks for the replies so far, though.

#628032 - 21/09/05 03:19 PM Re: Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good luck with getting it off, and let us know how you did it. Since you're running SpyBot, you should enable TeaTimer(an extra app inside SpyBot). It will detect registry changes and ask your permission; it also monitors programs/services being called or run, and notifies you if something looks mailicious. It's saved my arse many times over.

#628033 - 21/09/05 05:40 PM Re: Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This site helped me get rid of a bunch of SHxT on my sister's laptop. I couldn't clean it up till I ran this: Panda Anti-Virus
It's completely run from their website. Hope that helps...

#628034 - 22/09/05 12:54 PM Re: Spyware help!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully this isn't premature, but I may have rid myself of the infestation. I used a tool called "vundofix" and so far some much needed help from a site called Atribune.org. I'll let you all know if it reoccurs, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't. Thanks for all your help in the interim. I look forward to more productive things than clearing spyware...after all, tomorrow's phat chick Friday. wink

#628035 - 24/09/05 08:35 PM Re: Spyware help!!
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
If you're computer and process savvy try a program called hijackthis. It will find what other anti-spyware programs miss but it's for advanced users. It's free. Run it but don't take any action and get someone to analyze the log file you create. Then you can use it to get rid of the bad stuff!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal