2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#40031 - 28/12/05 04:32 AM In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't had this thing two freaking months and it gets rear ended. My dad is concerned that there may be damage to the frame. I'd like your guys' opinions to how it looks.

http://community.webshots.com/album/530317869oqppTM

#40032 - 28/12/05 04:54 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to give an opinion but I cant see the pics

William

#40033 - 28/12/05 05:32 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

You have definite rear end damage.

#40034 - 28/12/05 05:34 AM Re: In an accident last nite
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Real hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the other driver may have hit low on the rear. Does look like the bumper may have done it's job.

You will never really know until a pro looks at it. Sure hope you are OK and any passangers if you had any.

Maybe time for a Calmini or aftermarket rear bumper smile

Hope things work out for you!!!

#40035 - 28/12/05 06:07 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

--- cool Of course we are very sorry about that accident-or any accident-But our opinion means NOTHING to your insuurance company. You will find out after the Co. Adjuster checks it out. Remember rear end damage is not as crucial as front end damage --good luck-JIMBO

#40036 - 28/12/05 06:10 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could be tweaked. but the only sure way to know is to have an expert who really knows frames and has the equipment to check it out.
I would suggest you find a frame shop and not just some body shop or the dealer. Look in the yellow pages for a frame shop.
A good frame guy will make it as good as new and sometimes even better.

William

#40037 - 28/12/05 06:17 AM Re: In an accident last nite
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yea, of course it's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the bumper took the brunt of it! It really doesn't look that bad!

Very sorry about the accident though as I know it's annoying as hell! mad

#40038 - 28/12/05 06:55 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get a body shop to look at it. The frame can be replaced if it is damaged. The same thing happened to one of the fellows at SOXC. They replaced the entire frame on his 03 Xterra. Good as new.
Hope this helps. wink

#40039 - 28/12/05 08:19 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Critters:
Get a body shop to look at it. The frame can be replaced if it is damaged. The same thing happened to one of the fellows at SOXC. They replaced the entire frame on his 03 Xterra. Good as new.
Hope this helps. wink
Replace the frame??????!???

#40040 - 28/12/05 08:35 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got rear ended by a dodge ram 1500 superduty with 6 wheels going 35. I have a rear bumper gaurd and the ram guy got his whole front end of truck smashed in. I whish I hd pic but I dont. anyways I only had my gaured bent in like an inch and it pushed up my bumper a little. alot less damage then the ram guy.

Just thought I should share my rear bumper story.
Maybe you should get one.

#40041 - 28/12/05 09:04 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn thats nasty looking. I would take a serious look at the frame and if it's still strait at a minimum demand a new rear axle and to have the rest of your drive train inspected or replaced as your axle has moved quite a bit. What went under the back of your truck?

#40042 - 28/12/05 09:33 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like the right rear tire has been pushed inward slightly, definately have a pro look at it, unfortunately there maybe some serious damage, although it may not look like it.

#40043 - 28/12/05 11:12 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure if this will come out or not but if you look cloesly at the picture then you will see that he has a good bit of damage. Look at the passanger side leaf pack and then check out the driver's side. It is tweaked for sure and you might have some frame damage. Take it to the body shop that takes care of frames and get them to check it out. Also looks like the wheel is shifted on the passanger side as well.

#40044 - 28/12/05 11:18 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sucks man. It always is a PITA to get hit. Bottom line is everyone is Okay.

Also a good way to tell is how well all the doors open and close. if the seams are not even then you could have tweaked the frame.

#40045 - 28/12/05 11:45 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the help. I know I can't get a definite answer from pictures alone, but I still have alot to learn about trucks. An older Bonneville is what hit me. I barely felt a thing and his hood looks like he hit a pole. He managed to knock my spare tire off too.

#40046 - 28/12/05 12:15 PM Re: In an accident last nite
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Jack up the ass end and see if you can get that passenger side shackle back down where it's supposed to be.

It got "inverted" when hit. At least you would still be able to drive it and save $$ on towing or whatever.

Bummer though, but defintely looks like an relatively easy repair job.

#40047 - 28/12/05 01:42 PM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sucks when that happens. [Crybaby] Thank goodness everyone is alright, except for the X of course. Pictures don't show much damage, but with the thin/weak tail sections on the X frame, there might be some hidden damage that only a body shop could find. Hopefully the other person is insured!

Rob

#40048 - 28/12/05 01:45 PM Re: In an accident last nite
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by kokopop:
That sucks man. It always is a PITA to get hit. Bottom line is everyone is Okay.

Also a good way to tell is how well all the doors open and close. if the seams are not even then you could have tweaked the frame.
Not necessarily. If it were unibody then yes, but since the Xterra is a body on frame, the frame can easily have independent damage without tweaking the body at all.

And to the person who asked; yes, the frame can be replaced if it is bent. It's actually not as complicated as it sounds, since the body just sits on top of it. Honestly though, this appears to be minimal damage. If the frame is only tweaked a little it can be straightened, but it appears that most of the damage here is cosmetic.

Certainly sucks though!

#40049 - 28/12/05 03:53 PM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

The YOUR insurance guy will tell you if the frame is okay. They won't hurt your rates to have them inspect as well. It's in their best intrest to do an inspection, evn if the other insurance company will pay.

#40050 - 28/12/05 06:18 PM Re: In an accident last nite
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I can't see any evidence of frame damage in the pics...albeit the pass. side spring hanger/shackle is obviously pushed up and foward...

If the part of the frame that the shackle hangs from is bent, its probably minor, and is typically not a big problem to repair.

If the shackle hanger itself is all that's damaged, that's also a reasonably simple repair.

The leaf spring may be over arched, and/or the clamps may be spread, etc....make sure the spring set up is ok, including the forward hanger that is not pictured, as the force involved would be transmitted to the front of the spring, etc.

This is a great time to think about getting a Shrock rear bumper....as the other party's insurance will settle, and just write you a check...you can simply get a real steel bumper instead of the easily dented thin stock bumper.

The next time you are rear ended, you can smile and drive away unscathed.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#40051 - 28/12/05 06:28 PM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since the shackle mounts to the frame and the only way to move it forward or push it up is to damage the frame it's mounted too, I'd guess you have issue with at least the right side frame rail.

#40052 - 28/12/05 08:57 PM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine
had no frame damage.. lots of body damage, but the frame was fine..

#40053 - 29/12/05 09:38 AM Re: In an accident last nite
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Desert - That's not always the case...the hanger is attached to the frame, but you could whack the hanger itself and bend it up against the frame, w/o damaging the frame itself...just the hanger.

As you can see, there is a piece that drops down, off of the frame, that the shackle hangs from...it can be damaged w/o the frame itself being damaged.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#40054 - 31/12/05 06:38 AM Re: In an accident last nite
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cleveland traffic sucks!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal