Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 190 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#632693 - 31/01/06 05:11 PM Video camcorder
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Hey guys, I've got a baby on the way and about $450 to spend at Best Buy on a camcorder. Who makes the best brand for camcorders: Sony, Cannon, JVC, Samsung or Panasonic? I just looked on www.bestbuy.com and it looks like they've got new models out. Possible contenders are the Sony DCR-HC36, Cannon ZR600 and Panasonic PV-GS39. BTW, from what I've read, I believe Mini-DV is still the way to go until the hard drive versions become more popular. Correct me if I'm wrong. And, like I said... this is for baby stuff... I'm not doing anything professional or anything like that.

#632694 - 31/01/06 05:13 PM Re: Video camcorder
Anonymous
Unregistered

#632695 - 31/01/06 06:01 PM Re: Video camcorder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see from your post that you are looking for a mini DV, bu I have a camcorder that I am looking to get rid of cheap:
JVC Camcorder
Maybe $175, and I would ship it. I bought it a year and a half ago and have only used it for maybe 5 hours. Just thought I would offer,

#632696 - 31/01/06 06:14 PM Re: Video camcorder
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Look for one that does well in lower light. We use ours mostly for filming our daughter, but in low light its crap. Its also even worse in extremely bright light.

#632697 - 31/01/06 08:43 PM Re: Video camcorder
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Thanks guys. All good stuff and don't know much about the JVC. Good website too.
Quote:
Originally posted by lemsip:
Look for one that does well in lower light. We use ours mostly for filming our daughter, but in low light its crap. Its also even worse in extremely bright light.
Yes, I've heard this from several sources for someone in my position, so that is a concern of mine. Previous Sony models have had bad reviews in this area, but the new ones feature this which seems interesting:
Quote:
Super NightShot Plus Infrared System
With Sony's Super NightShot Infrared System you can capture natural looking video, even when shooting in low light. Record subjects up to 20 feet away using the built-in infrared system, but without the overall monochrome color common with earlier low-light recording systems.
Maybe I'll wait and see if I can get some customer reviews before I buy. We're not due until April, but I'd like to get this handled before hand just in case we have an early surprise. Even if we don't, I'd still like to get some shots of the bun in the oven. [LOL]

#632698 - 01/02/06 11:19 PM Re: Video camcorder
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
If my wife didn't insist on bringing her old Sony Video-8 camcorder on our vacation last year, I could've bought the Panasonic PV-GS150. The 3CCD sensor gives it the best video quality in its price range.

#632699 - 02/02/06 05:26 AM Re: Video camcorder
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
i bought the Sony DCRHC32 for the same reasons you stated...works great...congrats on the baby

#632700 - 02/02/06 05:28 AM Re: Video camcorder
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
keep an eye out in the sale flyers....i was able to get a $50 rebate from sony plus a $50 gift card from sears

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal