2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#27417 - 02/04/06 01:28 PM thoughts on the X 4 days after purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay.. i picked her up on Thursday and i finally got to do some driving today and yesterday.

I LOVE IT!!! I love the way it drives. It's so damn bumpy i'm bouncing all over the place.. just like a truck =) Now some may think this is a bad thing, but i love to feel the ride. It makes me more aware of my vehicle and how to control it. Plus it's just fun!

I'm the type of person who just loves to drive. If i have nothing better to do on a Sunday, i hop in the car and just hit the road. So feeling the ride is a good thing for me.

The stock stereo is pretty bad.. my kia had a better sounding system when i replaced the HU. I'm not all gung-ho to replace this HU because i LOVE the steering wheel controls and i don't want to lose that function. So i suppose i'll just live with it for now.

The centre console bugs me, though. I'm 5'5" so my seat is up a bit too far. I can't rest my arm on it when i'm driving. I have no idea where to put it. the only thing it rests on comfortably is when i grab the 4x4 shifter.. which is a bad idea.

Also the cup holders are a bit too far back for me to easily use. If you're taller than i am and have the seat back further.. this probably isn't an issue.

The power seems okay so far.. i've only really driven it around town, so it's not like it needs a whole lot. I'm still adjusting to the difference between the X and my kia (i know, i know). So 80 km/h feels a LOT slower in the X than it does the kia.. i keep thinking the X isn't going very fast considering the gas i'm giving it and then look and realize i'm doing 20 km over the speed limit. Oops =)

My biggest learning curve is parking it.. i'm so used to my little car this is a big difference. Ironically the X is way easier as far as blind spots go. That little car had them everywhere and it was impossible to see.. sometimes i had to hold my breath and go.. i can see very well with the X so that helps. I'm just trying to gauge how close other cars are to me when i'm back out though.. i'm sure it'll get easier. For now i'm parking it further away.. i'd be pissed if someone scratched her so soon after i got her anyway.

I haven't had a chance to take it off road yet, but i can't wait to. I need to find someone who'll come with me and teach me rather than me just try and figure it out. I'm sure there's someone around here with experience .. i hope..

Anyway... so far so good. The X is SO much fun to drive.. i'm sitting here having just got back and wanting to go out again... i find things to do just so i can drive it =)

It's gonna rain for the next few days.. should make for some good mud puddles in the bush =)

#27418 - 02/04/06 01:47 PM Re: thoughts on the X 4 days after purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kelli:

The stock stereo is pretty bad.. my kia had a better sounding system when i replaced the HU. I'm not all gung-ho to replace this HU because i LOVE the steering wheel controls and i don't want to lose that function. So i suppose i'll just live with it for now.
Upgrade to some killer speakers and an amp. That should make a significant difference without changing out the HU.

Welcome aboard! [Wave]

#27419 - 02/04/06 02:10 PM Re: thoughts on the X 4 days after purchase
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
You'll find that when you run out of excuses to drive it (unlikely), you'll find excuses just to sit and stare out at the window at it.

I've had Xterras for almost 3 years now, and even a couple nights ago, I found myself opening the garage door just to get another look at my truck.

It's an obsession, I tell ya.

#27420 - 02/04/06 06:28 PM Re: thoughts on the X 4 days after purchase
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by kelli:

I'm the type of person who just loves to drive. If i have nothing better to do on a Sunday, i hop in the car and just hit the road. So feeling the ride is a good thing for me.

I haven't had a chance to take it off road yet, but i can't wait to. I need to find someone who'll come with me and teach me rather than me just try and figure it out. I'm sure there's someone around here with experience .. i hope..
Congratualations on a good choice of truck. And welcome to the Board.

Since you love to drive, come on down to the Nor'Easter off road event that is being held May 19-21 in Pennsylvania. It is a multi-mark event (not Xterra only) that is being held at two off-road parks. There will certainly be stock groups running the trails at which newbies will be welcome and given pointers on how to off road. (Last year, I had three newbies in the stock goup I led at East Coast Xterra Challenge, all of which navigated the trail without damaage). For more information, check out http://ne.ne4wd.org/reg/cart There are several people from Canada coming to that event, and perhaps you can caravan down with them.

If the Nor'Easter is on a bad date for you, consider the East Coast Xterra Challenge which is scheduled for July 20-23. For information, see http://ecxc.com/ The Southern Ontario Xterra Club usually has a large contingent in attendance.

k_enn

#27421 - 04/04/06 05:49 AM Re: thoughts on the X 4 days after purchase
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
You'll find that when you run out of excuses to drive it (unlikely), you'll find excuses just to sit and stare out at the window at it.

I've had Xterras for almost 3 years now, and even a couple nights ago, I found myself opening the garage door just to get another look at my truck.

It's an obsession, I tell ya.
I do the same thing and couldn't agree more.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal