Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30947 - 30/05/06 10:45 AM Paint chips on 2005 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I searched for paint, but did not find anything pertaining to my question.

My 2005 X has gotten some significant paint chips down to the steel. Any recommendations on cleaning, preping and touching up chips? I just ordered touch up paint from courteseyparts.com. The one chip on the front nose is fairly significant (0.125" in dia.). It is starting to rust. Is there a tough-tear resistant material I can place on my vehicle in the area of the chip to isolate it? Thus I can sand/buff out the rust without impacting the good paint.

Aside: Is the paint on the X thin? It seems to chip easily, and down to the bare metal. I drove a 97 Jeep wrangler for 150K miles, and never saw this many chips.

I also bought a bugdeflector and window deflectors. Hoping that this will at least protect the car, and deflect most rocks.

#30948 - 30/05/06 11:06 AM Re: Paint chips on 2005 X
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I'd try the appearance section for tips.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#30949 - 30/05/06 01:00 PM Re: Paint chips on 2005 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since 2000, the paint on Nissans in general has been very cheap and thin. This isn't just an X issue.

#30950 - 31/05/06 09:57 PM Re: Paint chips on 2005 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a 350Z and the chips made me sick. BLUF Nissan has crappy paint, the only company I know that is worse is subaru. Go with a clear bra, any reputable window tint shop can do it, just make sure they warranty their work.

#30951 - 01/06/06 07:37 AM Re: Paint chips on 2005 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

nearly all manufactures paint has gone downhill, thank gov regulations for that.

anywho, to touch up, easy steps for me.

Buy the factory bottle.

Clean the chip: steel wire or soething else to scrape away the rust and paint remnants in the chip. You want clean bare metal in the chip.

Clean chip with alch.

Shake touchup paint well.

Take a piece of alum foil and dab the touch up paint brush on there so you have a small blob to work with.

Take toothpick, and use this as your "brush"

Work small, and slow. Build layers.

You need just a tiny dab on the toothpick tip.

key is to not have to swirl the toothpick in the chip hole once you lay the paint down. More movement will only make the touchup paint look worse. You want one smooth spplication.

Let dry 15 min. keep layering until the hole is filled well. Itll take at least 3-4 layers for a good job.

It wont be perfect, but touchup paint never is. This will be better than trying to use that brush.

Dont wax that area for a month or so.

#30952 - 02/06/06 11:19 AM Re: Paint chips on 2005 X
Anonymous
Unregistered

Meh! My truck has so many chips, scratches and one big dent that I'm just going to wait a couple more years and repaint the entire rig. ORANGE!

Just don't wash the thing and you'll never see the scratches... [Wave]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal