Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#25746 - 21/06/06 05:38 PM 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before you ask, yes I searched for similar threads (it bugs me also). Came across two that were similar, but no cigar.
I've used up my patience pills in trying to figure this one out. I have a new tent trailer with the following wiring requirements:

Blue................Auxiliary
White..............Ground
Yellow.............Left Turn Signal
Green..............Right Turn Signal
Red.................Brake Lights
Brown..............Running Lights

The wiring diagram on the OEM Tow Wiring Plug reflects:

Battery(+)....................4
Turn/Stop RH................6
Elec Brake....................2
Ground.........................1
Turn/Stop LH................5
Tail Lamp.....................3
Center Plug....Backup.....Center

As shown in the trailer wiring, I need seperate connections for the turn and brake signals. The OEM vehicle plug reflects that the turn and stop signals are combined. Is there a means to wire car and trailer together and have everything work? Or must I jury-rig a connection?

Thanks.....................Top

#25747 - 22/06/06 05:20 AM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's the first time I have heard of a trailer using separate turn & brake lights [Freak] and I've owned and towed a lot of trailers over the years. Looks like they figured another way to bilk more money out of consumers. shocked

Maybe someone else will chime in but all the convertors I know about like the one below are for adapting the other way. Separate turn / brake lights on the tow vehicle and combined on the trailer. You might give them a call and see if it will work in reverse for your application.

4-Pole Hardwire Kit with Converter (Includes Tester)

#25748 - 22/06/06 08:19 AM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. "Master Tech" over at nissanhelp forum said that I needed another wiring harness (vehicle brakes to trailer brakes). Here's hoping that the power supplied by this new harness is compatible. He also supplied me with the section from the tech manual which describes the turn,stop, and hazard operation. Seems that all the signals for turn/stop/hazard are sent down a single line. If the new harness doesn't resolve the situation, I'll have to be satisfied with single lamps in the rear..............Top

#25749 - 22/06/06 10:29 AM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Top, I am not sure of what you are wiring exactly but here is what I know since I recently did mine. At the hitch, the diagram is this:

From the connector to the first plug set

Pin 1 (Electronic Brake)- Red
Pin 2 (Ground 12-)- White
Pin 3 (Left Turn)- Yellow
Pin 4 (Tail Lights)- Brown
Pin 5 (Power 12+) - Blue
Pin 6 (Right Turn)- Green
Pin 7 (Reverse Lights) - Black

I honestly think you have the wrong wiring schematic. PM if I can help anymore.

Also, if you are wiring in trailer brakes you need a separate wiring harness that connects under the dash. You will see a white female plug that is where you plug it in after you connect to a brake controller. I got that harness from here www.xterraparts.com.

#25750 - 23/06/06 04:40 AM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think that wiring harness is going to get you what you want. Unless I have miss understood what the problem is, you need the trailer brake lights to function. In the description of the harness it states
Quote:
Use this harness (Brake Control Sub Harness ) to connect the vehicle brakes to trailer brakes (not lights)
This is the harness to connect a electric brake controller into the vehicle electrical system for a trailer that has electric brakes. Now I might be wrong on this, but I haven't seen a tent trailer with brakes.

Are you sure that your trailer is wired for separate brake and turn signals or did the dealer give you a generic trailer wiring diagram that was miss labeled to begin with. Almost all late model RV trailers use the 7 flat pin RV connector but might not use all the wires.

Here is a link to the common wiring colors and pin-outs used by trailer manufacturers.
Trailer Wiring Diagrams

All bets are off though if this was not a factory wiring job.

#25751 - 23/06/06 05:10 PM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the replies. The solution for this one will knock your socks off.
First - The trailer IS wired for separate brake and turn lights. I traced them out myself. Wires end up in a display housing which has an upper half yellow (turn)and lower half red (brakes).
Second - The brake harness mentioned in earlier posts IS just for the trailer brake controller. Has nothing to do with the brake lights.
Third - Trailer manufacturer acknowledged that some customers have encountered this problem.

Solution - Buy red lenses to replace the yellow ones and you're in business. Damn, so simple it's scary.

#25752 - 23/06/06 06:43 PM Re: 2006 Tow Wiring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
First - The trailer IS wired for separate brake and turn lights. I traced them out myself. Wires end up in a display housing which has an upper half yellow (turn)and lower half red (brakes).
Learn something new all the time. Fist I have heard of that. Glad to hear you have it resolved at minimal expense

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal