Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#626773 - 31/07/06 09:20 PM Mac people, recommendations?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
My sister has a 15" 1GHz powerbook. The logic board is dead. The service shop quoted $800 to fix it. Or, they will buy the laptop from her for $230.

From what I can find on the web, a replacement board will run about $400.

So I could have the thing up and running for about $630.

Yes, it's an older model. But it'll run everything I would want to run on it - FCP for offline editing, photoshop, after effects, dreamweaver, etc. (I wouldn't use a new laptop for the final editing anyway).

Anyone think it's worth it to replace the board?

I've already told her not to sell it to the shop - the screen is perfect, and that alone should fetch $300-400.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#626774 - 01/08/06 12:31 PM Re: Mac people, recommendations?
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Possibly,

But you can get a refurbished 15 inch 1.67 for $1350, which would give you a speed boost and more screen area, for about $500 more than your estimated cost for replacing the logic board yourself (this includes the $230 price quote for selling the old broken one even less if you think you can get more for the screen somewhere else).

Most of the programs you listed are not universal yet (except for FCP), so you'd probably be better off with a G4 for that type of work. Reports have said the products are dog slow under Rosetta (elements is the only Adobe product I use and it is noticably slow when I use it). So if that's your primary use for the machine, it's probably worth keeping until Adobe gets off their butts and produces Universal versions of the programs.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#626775 - 01/08/06 04:44 PM Re: Mac people, recommendations?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
So I could have the thing up and running for about $630.
Why $630? If you can get a logic board for $400 why wouldn't you have it back for $400? For $400, I would think it would be worth fixing. Much over $500 and I would probably just splurge on a MacBook - dual core goodness...

#626776 - 02/08/06 08:19 AM Re: Mac people, recommendations?
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]So I could have the thing up and running for about $630.
Why $630? If you can get a logic board for $400 why wouldn't you have it back for $400? For $400, I would think it would be worth fixing. Much over $500 and I would probably just splurge on a MacBook - dual core goodness...[/b]
Oh, $630 would include the 230 I'd pay my sister for it.

She's not THAT generous as to just give it to me. laugh
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#626777 - 02/08/06 04:42 PM Re: Mac people, recommendations?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Oh, $630 would include the 230 I'd pay my sister for it.

She's not THAT generous as to just give it to me. laugh
Ah! smile Dunno... all those applications you use will eventually be Universal, and if you aren't doing heavy editing or using lots of filters, people have reported OK results for Rosetta. And you will be future-proof.... My 12" PowerBook G4 is still going strong - and it's almost three years old. Think long term...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal