Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7497 - 30/10/06 05:08 PM transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

2000x v6 auto 3.3, I was talking to an x owner the other day and he said his 2000 with 100k is starting to slip. a mechanic told him the nissan trannies are not very good. I've got 73k and purring away. Saw someone on this site replaced his at 160k, another just over 100k HOW ARE THESE HOLDING UP FOR YOU GUYS THAT HAVE THE 2000? Just curious since I'm planning to keep it 3-5 more yrs. This baby was made for me.

#7498 - 30/10/06 05:46 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It will hold up just fine as long as it has been and is being maintained - just like the rest of the truck.

Regular flushes are very important in my opinion. 25,000 - 30,000 miles is the interval, or at least that's how I do it.

I assume that you bought it recently. Do you have any maintenance records for it? That might be a good clue in terms of what to expect.

#7499 - 30/10/06 06:34 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 times in my 2k X. i traded it in about 4 months ago. im starting to worry about my 03 now. it just doesnt feel right to me. maybe im just paranoid, and thats why i havent and am probably not gona wheel this truck. i dont wanna have to go through that again. i had about 100k on it when it went the first time.

#7500 - 30/10/06 07:11 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have 120,000 on mine and i have no problems and have NEVER done anything to it.

#7501 - 30/10/06 07:59 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 01 X has 60,000 miles on it and it just purrs awayeven with constant stop and go traffic and frequently pulling trailers...I have never serviced it or done any work to it at all..

#7502 - 31/10/06 07:04 AM Re: transmission last?
poe67 Offline

Loc: Bar Harbor, ME
Almost to 200,000 miles on the original tranny. Just keep up with the regular maintance.

#7503 - 31/10/06 07:57 AM Re: transmission last?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
i had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 times in my 2k X. i traded it in about 4 months ago. im starting to worry about my 03 now. it just doesnt feel right to me. maybe im just paranoid, and thats why i havent and am probably not gona wheel this truck. i dont wanna have to go through that again. i had about 100k on it when it went the first time.
Did you ever service it?

I tend to be on the "don't mess with it and it won't mess with you" side when it comes to auto trannys... flushes scare me. I do an occasional drain & fill - but that's it.

#7504 - 31/10/06 08:12 AM Re: transmission last?
great pyr-hauler Offline

Loc: Illinois
105,000 and no problems at all for me. I don't wheel and I've never pulled anything with it. I've never had it flushed or done any service to it.

#7505 - 31/10/06 09:24 AM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

regular maintanace was done. i just think i had a lemon truck. thats not the only problem i had with that truck. i havent seen anyone else post here about the defect in the rear window glass, so im guessing mine was the only one to blow the back window out with the defrost on. plus the window regulators and motors.

#7506 - 31/10/06 10:20 AM Re: transmission last?
Saturday Morning Offline

Loc: Shawnee, KS (Kansas City area)
Somewhere over 80K - no problems yet (or expected) I do pull a boat so a I drain/fill every couple years just to get some fresh additives back into the system.

Side note (It sounds like this may be a new truck to you): These things have some 'quirks' by design. Keep this in mind as we approach the colder months that they won't engage OD until operating temp is reached. shift points may feel harsh or soft, etc.

welcome, by the way.

#7507 - 31/10/06 11:16 AM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
[b]i had to have the tranny rebuilt 3 times in my 2k X. i traded it in about 4 months ago. im starting to worry about my 03 now. it just doesnt feel right to me. maybe im just paranoid, and thats why i havent and am probably not gona wheel this truck. i dont wanna have to go through that again. i had about 100k on it when it went the first time.
Did you ever service it?

I tend to be on the "don't mess with it and it won't mess with you" side when it comes to auto trannys... flushes scare me. I do an occasional drain & fill - but that's it.[/b]
I dunno, Kaiser... I still think that regular flushes are very important but they have to be done since the beginning, otherwise the flush may actually cause problems by dislodging particles. I've flushed 3 times now every 25-30k miles and it's been great. Oil comes out nice and pink every time.

EDIT: 96,000 on my truck.

#7508 - 31/10/06 01:45 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:

I tend to be on the "don't mess with it and it won't mess with you" side when it comes to auto trannys... flushes scare me.
im the same way. wifes buick had 258,000 when it died recently, never touched the tranny once...well once, but because she put a hole in the trans pan, but that was right before it died.

#7509 - 31/10/06 03:56 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies, looks like they're holding up pretty well...feel better.

I did 2 fulshes at 30, 60 on a rodeo and sold it at 84k no problems but I'm not doing that on my x just drain (3qts) refill. Stupid rodeo didn't have a drain and exhaust ran under the pan.

#7510 - 31/10/06 05:06 PM Re: transmission last?
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
If you look/search the drive train or problem forum you will see a moderate amount of posts concerning transmissions problems, more so for the autos. According to some of the Nissan dealer tech’s like Cyclemut they hold-up pretty well overall.

My personal experience has been disappointing with the autos on the 1st gen which are basically a carry over model (RE4R01A) from the pathfinder. I replaced mine this year on the X at 140k and my pathy needed a rebuild at 120k (new torque converter, seals, etc).

Installing a after market aux transmission cooler is a good investment IMO especially if you wheel, tow, or live in a hot weather env.

#7511 - 01/11/06 07:33 AM Re: transmission last?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
BTW, the biggest thing you can do to help the longevity of your transmission is to learn about torque converter lockup and then never let it stay unlocked for extended periods of time on the freeway (this generates a ton of heat).

I'm very sensitive to when it unlocks - and when it does I never let it stay that way for more than maybe 30 seconds max. I either slow down or hit the o/d off button.

#7512 - 03/11/06 09:47 AM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kaiser...

I did a quick lookup on torque coverter lockup and am a bit confused. Keep in mind this is after working all night and it is close to one in the afternoon.

When you talk about it becoming unlocked, how do you tell? Is it when the vehicle starts to "lug" and feel underpowered, such as climbing slight inclines?

#7513 - 03/11/06 12:46 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am planning to tow a travel trailer with my 06 off road. Is this a good candidate for a transmission cooler?

#7514 - 17/11/06 07:38 AM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got 91000 on my 2000 and never touched the tranny...works fine.

#7515 - 17/11/06 02:17 PM Re: transmission last?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
I've got a whopping 62k on my 2000 and no problems yet. Flushed at 30k and about to do another.

#7516 - 17/11/06 02:39 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 2000X has 107k and has been wheeled hard. I also tow a trailor frequently. No tranny problems at all. I do service and maintain my truck. laugh

#7517 - 17/11/06 02:46 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianH:
Kaiser...

I did a quick lookup on torque coverter lockup and am a bit confused. Keep in mind this is after working all night and it is close to one in the afternoon.

When you talk about it becoming unlocked, how do you tell? Is it when the vehicle starts to "lug" and feel underpowered, such as climbing slight inclines?
Watch the Tach. When your at a steady highway speed the tach will drop a few hundred rpm as the converter locks up. If you step on the gas it will unlock and rise a few hundred and if you press harder on the gas it will down shift.

I'm at 125k with no problems with the tranny flushed every 30k. Still as smooth as the day I bought it.

#7518 - 18/11/06 09:29 AM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah my 2000 Xterra (MT5) makes like a scratchy noise thing when I shift from 2nd to 3rd and vice versa. I'm not sure what the cause is and it still runs fine.

#7519 - 18/11/06 10:37 AM Re: transmission last?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by South Side Ninja:
wifes buick had 258,000 when it died recently, never touched the tranny once...well once, but because she put a hole in the trans pan, but that was right before it died.
A friend of my parents owns a transmission shop - used to talk about stuff like this all the time. What happened with your wife's tranny wasn't a surprise. Varnish from old oil builds up over the years. As soon as you put new oil in, it has new detergent. Guess what the new detergent does to the varnish coating every surface of the transmission? That's right, dislodges it. Lots of it - at the same time. It either gums up something important, clogs the filter starving the transmission of fluid or both. A good shop would have cleaned out your tranny for you, instead of just fixing the pan and dumping new oil in.

#7520 - 18/11/06 06:31 PM Re: transmission last?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]wifes buick had 258,000 when it died recently, never touched the tranny once...well once, but because she put a hole in the trans pan, but that was right before it died.
A friend of my parents owns a transmission shop - used to talk about stuff like this all the time. What happened with your wife's tranny wasn't a surprise. Varnish from old oil builds up over the years. As soon as you put new oil in, it has new detergent. Guess what the new detergent does to the varnish coating every surface of the transmission? That's right, dislodges it. Lots of it - at the same time. It either gums up something important, clogs the filter starving the transmission of fluid or both. A good shop would have cleaned out your tranny for you, instead of just fixing the pan and dumping new oil in.[/b]
well thats good to know. however it has really nothing to do with the car and it being dead, it didn't die to trans problems, so im not sure how the changing of fluid that never happened had anything to do with the trans pan getting a hole in it. how does changing the fluid cause a hole to appear in the trans pan anyway?... laugh

all b.s. aside,
being that the car had 258,000 miles on it and the fact that i HATED that fuckin car, i am happy now that it is gone, plus no way in hell i was going to pay the money for a powerpurge of the trans and for a new oil pan. we didnt even have the pan replaced, they just used waterweld and closed up the hole in the pan and put the pan back on, tested it under load for a few days to make sure it didnt leak, didn't charge us one red cent. now thats a good shop. [ThumbsUp]

#7521 - 18/11/06 07:36 PM Re: transmission last?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
it didn't die to trans problems
Ah - the way I read the sentence the two seemed related.

Nevermind then smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal