2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32010 - 22/02/05 11:16 AM What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know for the 4x4 it says 16 city and 21 highway. Is everyone getting that?

#32011 - 22/02/05 12:16 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The new X was just released, I doubt anyone has true-to-life numbers yet. Give it some time, but given the weight and larger V6, I bet we see same/worse numbers for it.

On NissanFrontier.net, '05 Frontier owners are reporting 16.5 - 18 mpg on thier VQ40s'.

#32012 - 22/02/05 01:15 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Need to let that new engine break in for a couple thousand miles at least before you can really start comparing your mpg. Also, I would think that most who post their mpg online are enthusiasts who are seriously liking that new power :p , which means they will not get the mileage on the window sticker.

#32013 - 24/02/05 05:57 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

someone please post what kind of mileage they are getting. I know someones burned a tank of gas by now. I don't care how you drive or if its still being broken in.
thanks
chris

#32014 - 25/02/05 09:51 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

if it says 16-21 then its gotta be between those numbers unless you really put your food down all the time. if its a matter of affording the gas, then you shouldn't be getting a truck in the first place. thats just my opinion though.

#32015 - 25/02/05 10:49 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, since you asked ...

Fuel gage shows exactly half a tank right now. (starting from full tank on delivery)
Odomoeter shows 151 miles.

So - around 15 mpg.

Mixed driving, trying hard to stay under 50 during break in. (harder than it sounds in this truck)

Some 4wd time in there (snow this morning, plus a little "testing" in an empty snow covered parking lot last night).

Personally - I don't care if I get 3 mpg - this truck rocks!

#32016 - 25/02/05 11:27 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
Personally - I don't care if I get 3 mpg - this truck rocks!
Unless of course the next gas station is more than 63.3 miles away. laugh :p

#32017 - 25/02/05 02:38 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's some pretty slick math, Nisfan! wink

#32018 - 26/02/05 06:40 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Normally I would't be checking/caring/posting this, but since a few people have expressed interest, here's the stats from my first fill up (had about 1/4 tank left):

Took 14.925 gallons to fill.
Odometer read 217 miles.

So about 14.5 mpg, mixed driving, a little 4x4, break-in in progress.

Ok - 14.539363484087102177554438860972 MPG to be exact. (gotta love cut and paste from MS Calc)

Fine with me!!

#32019 - 26/02/05 07:27 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
So about 14.5 mpg, mixed driving, a little 4x4, break-in in progress.
OK, so keep your foot out of it this next tank and let us know what you get. [LOL]

#32020 - 26/02/05 07:42 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
OK, so keep your foot out of it this next tank and let us know what you get. [LOL]
NO WAY!!!!! NEVER!!!!!!

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

#32021 - 26/02/05 11:27 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Fronty is getting around 14mpg right now, for 3 tankfuls. But today we went into the mountains for some scenic driving (Beau Jo's pizza in Idaho Springs, gotta love it!) and right now, I'm sitting at 3/4 tank with 144 miles showing. I filled up just before the trip. So I'm thinking wow(!), this is great!.

Handles the mountains like nothing I've ever owned before. I really love the torque of this engine. 2k rpm at 71mph is awesome. Drop down to 3rd on a hard accell and see the cars fly by, up hill and with a head wind.

#32022 - 28/02/05 10:49 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys, I am not too thrilled with your fuel figures to be honest. I am considering 05X after my current 01 Pathfinder 3.5 and I must say that your fuel economy is no better than mine on 62K miles old truck.
15mpg is very poor for the year 2005, don't you think? My 01 BMW 540i with 4.4L V8 and nearly 300 horse gets at least 18 mpg in the city.
I was hoping Nissan would do something about that gas guzzling nature of their trucks, but it looks like again they did nothing.

#32023 - 28/02/05 11:11 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally posted by mish:
Guys, I am not too thrilled with your fuel figures to be honest. I am considering 05X after my current 01 Pathfinder 3.5 and I must say that your fuel economy is no better than mine on 62K miles old truck.
15mpg is very poor for the year 2005, don't you think? My 01 BMW 540i with 4.4L V8 and nearly 300 horse gets at least 18 mpg in the city.
I was hoping Nissan would do something about that gas guzzling nature of their trucks, but it looks like again they did nothing.
You might want to familiarize yourself with the concept of wind resistance and coefficient of drag. Comparing the gas mileage of a car to a truck is complete apples to oranges.

#32024 - 28/02/05 11:37 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wind resistance has nothing to do with that. Last summer I drove 03 4Runner V6, 4.0 and it gave me solid 19mpg on average. It is larger and heavier than 05 Xterra. I guess Nissan is not about fuel, it is about features and reliability.

#32025 - 28/02/05 01:00 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
There are a lot of issues with MPG.

Wind resistance, weight, heavy foot, etc. This is an old subject and if you are surprised...

The greatest factor for sucky mileage is heavier/beefier tires. On my 01 I had a roadtrip to Yellowstone that gave me 24mpg in the park - keeping it under 3000rpms, going under 40mph.

Ya know what... if this bothers you, the X is not for you. If you can't afford to put gas in it, you probably can't afford everything else that comes with it.

Like said above, its everything else about it that outweighs the mpg discussion.

Go get a Daihatsu Charade (45mpg) or a Civic Hi-brid (40mpg+) or a VW diesel (45mpg) or a natural gas turbine bus... DUH!!! [Geek]

#32026 - 28/02/05 02:05 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, all the issues that everyone has mentioned aside I get about 20 mpg on the highway and 16 mpg in the city......following the speed limits for the most part with no wheeling or wide open and sideways trips on the last couple tanks.......usually 520-550 kms to a tank on the highway and about 400 kms if all city driving......if you are that concerned about MPG you have the wrong truck....... [Wave]

#32027 - 28/02/05 02:06 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

its not like the xterra costs that much more to fill with gas than an average car in the city.

Heres a hypothetical situation, lets say you drive 10,000mi per year, a car you want gets 25mpg city vs. the xterra with 16mpg city

(10,000 / 25) = 400gal * $2 = $800
(10,000 / 16) = 625gal * $2 = $1250

assuming gas is $2 per gallon

now thats a measly $450 per year, thats not very much in my opinion. I guess if your a student or someone on a very tight budget that would be a big deal, then like fastdrmr said, a hybrid would be your best bet.

theres a lot of factors that go into determining gas mileage such as weight, engine type, 4x4, wind resistance(yes it is a factor more than people realize), and type of driver, ect.

as long as people are still buying SUVs and trucks auto manufacturers aren't going to put research emphasis on gas mileage, thats just my 2 cents.

#32028 - 28/02/05 06:28 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No matter what mid size 6 cylinder 4x4 Truck Based SUV you look at they all get crappy mileage. I test drove every mid sized suv out there, with the exception of Jeep Liberty, Kia and Hyunda. The only one that got good milage that was a mid size 6 cyl SUV was a Toyota Highlander which has a car chassis and dives like a car and also is not very 4x4 capable. So actually the Highlander does not even count since I said "truck based".

Go here for reasearch. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

My attitude is suck it up. If you don't like it go get a Honda Civic Hybrid or something of that nature.

#32029 - 28/02/05 06:41 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Mileage doesn't bother me at all. I consider anything at or above 15 MPG in town pretty good for anything that I'd really like to drive, so the X fits the bill well.

Considering the family car that I learned to drive in back in the mid-70's got 9 MPG city and about 12 on the open road (1970 Ford LTD, 429-4bbl).

#32030 - 28/02/05 07:25 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for your opinions, except that insulting moron "fastdrmr".
My 2 reasons for looking for fuel efficiency are the fact that I am usually driving alone and do not need to waste tons of fuel to get to work and the other reason is that I am tired of going to the gas station twice per week with my Pathfinder. I get to use off road capabilities only few times every winter (and it does kick ass) and towing only summer time on weekends.
My dilemma is 02/03 BMW X5, new Tacoma with double cab, or Xterra. I am interested in Xterra only because it is the same size as my Pathfinder and not too large like the new Pathfinder, or huge Armada.
I truly did not like new 4Runner, because of its terrible 4WD engagement that only works at a speed and because it had that super noisy early 4.0L V6 that they supposedly fixed now, but it did get at least 19mpg solid. My co-worker's X5 4.4L gets around 18+mpg, so I do believe X can/should do better than 15.
I realize that overall cost of Xterra is fairly low and spending extra $450 per year on gas is not noticeable, so this is something for me to think about.
No, I can not buy Civic, or other hybrid, because those will not tow my boat and my utility trailer with my Yamaha Grizzly and my building materials and house remodeling garbage.... Hybrids also do not come with 4x4 that works. I also do not believe in "Real Time AWD" that was invented to fool housewives into thinking that they have off road vehicle (that puts X5 under question).
Thanks again for your feedback.

#32031 - 28/02/05 07:36 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

haven't heard much on towing capabilities but thats part of the reason im getting an X. gotta love the 5,000lb towing capacity.

#32032 - 28/02/05 09:11 PM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by mish:
Thank you all for your opinions, except that insulting moron "fastdrmr".
Thanks for the compliment. laugh

Go get the X5, BMW makes a wonderful vehicle. Our 330 is awesome, excellent technology coupled with power and... 35 mpg on road trips.

The point is if you want a big vehicle you will not get good gas mileage. There is more to it than worrying about that. That's my point.

Sorry if you felt offended, but get used to it because XOC is not a place for whiners. You are discussing a topic that has gone on and on, for 4 years... do a quick search and read up on tricks of the trade. The final result will once again tell you, if you are worried about mpg, the Xterra (and other SUVs) is not for you.

#32033 - 01/03/05 06:08 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For what it's worth, I'm getting about 15 mpg in mixed driving so far with my 05 X and I'm actually pretty happy with that. Once I get the engine broke in, I expect it to go up considerably. That's just the nature of a new car and having to put some miles on it. At this point, it's pretty much impossible to know what the gas mileage is going to be since no one has had the new X long enough to really break it in yet.

#32034 - 01/03/05 07:48 AM Re: What is the actual MPG everyone is getting?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The point is if you want a big vehicle you will not get good gas mileage. There is more to it than worrying about that. That's my point.
Amen, really it almost impossible to have a bigger more functionally vehicle and still have great MPG. And it does not seem to matter whether you have 4/6/8 cylinders they all get about 15-20, some less / some more.

I have done a lot of number crunching and for about 12k miles per year you're only talking about $10 per week. And if $10 is too much then yes you should NOT be looking in the SUV categories.

Hybrids for now, are not worth the extra 3-4 thousands more that they are asking for.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal