2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#6781 - 30/12/06 03:35 PM Rain tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys! I live in Tampa, Florida and it rains as much as the sun sets and rises and it rains mad crazy everytime it does. Also, the entire state its absurdly flat, so flooding a foot is common some nights.

I just got my xterra and am looking if anyone has any tips for good maintenance in rain and water. I live on the University campus and it'll mostly be in a garage, but any info you guys could give me would be much appreciated!

#6782 - 30/12/06 04:05 PM Re: Rain tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take it easy going through deep stuff. Sucked water into the intake when I got my first X being an idiot after a bunch of rain.

Also hit any electrical connections inside the engine bay with spray silicone especially the alternator which is prone to crapping out in muddy water due to its location (low). I do this before wheeling trips to avoid carnage.

Changing the differential fluids more often is also recommended if you go through high water a lot

#6783 - 30/12/06 09:29 PM Re: Rain tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Changing the differential fluids more often is also recommended if you go through high water a lot
Or intall breathers on your diffs if they aren't already on your truck.

It might cost you $20 in tubing and the breather nipple for the diff. It's extremly easy to do, and it's peace of mind if you are forced to go through deeper water.

This is the one on the rear diff:

If you have an Automatic, you should do the breather for the tranny as well.

#6784 - 02/01/07 02:52 PM Re: Rain tips
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the breather idea! Always a good move when your state is mostly swamp like FL. I hope to take my x out on the rocks someday though smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal