2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#612191 - 08/03/07 07:54 PM A note to people making videos
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Minor rant here:

The bad-ass-rock-music-playing-over-otherwise-silent-truck-video thing is tired and annoying.

There are some that are done really well, with appropriate music fading in and out at appropriate times to fill in the gaps between interesting bits of audio. Those are really good.

But there are also lot of crappy ones where it's like they're trying to make the vid cooler than it is with blaring music that the picture just doesn't live up to and it comes off as kinda sad.

I think my real problem is just with the inappropriate music... If you're making an Ultimate Fighting Championship clip video where people are getting punched in the face repeatedly, blood is flying, and people are getting thrown into stuff - THAT can have Powerman 5000 in the background.

Most Xterra videos rank more at the blues/pop level of excitement, though. Know what I mean?

#612192 - 08/03/07 08:28 PM Re: A note to people making videos
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree...and id rather hear the actaully audio from the vid anyways.

#612193 - 08/03/07 08:46 PM Re: A note to people making videos
Anonymous
Unregistered

this topic isn't headed into the wrong direction is it???

#612194 - 08/03/07 09:06 PM Re: A note to people making videos
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
I didn't know Steven Spielberg drove an Xterra!!! :rolleyes:

#612195 - 08/03/07 09:14 PM Re: A note to people making videos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
I didn't know Steven Spielberg drove an Xterra!!! :rolleyes:
[Spit] [Spit] [Spit]

#612196 - 09/03/07 07:47 AM Re: A note to people making videos
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't help thinking that I'm one of the 'bad ass rock music' guys that Kaiser is talking about. wink

My 7 year-old daughter is my co-pilot & most of the time the audio is just lame. In between the unintelligible chirping of the FRS you've got random conversation & laughter punctuated by various oohs, ahhs & whoas. Aside from the occasional "Oh God we're gonna die!" moment, there just isn't anything interesting to hear.

Of course anything involving "Hey y'all, watch this!" or "Here, hold my beer." would be left as is. laugh

I'll agree that most wheeling deserves somewhat mellow music. My first video (Edward's Park) was basically dirt road & a minor hill climb so I chose Anthrax' 'Black Lodge' for the driving part & Johnny Cash's cover of 'Rusty Cage' for the slower hill climb. Seemed appropriate at the time.

This latest video (Hassayampa) was mostly high-speed wash running so I chose 'angry' music for the soundtrack. Incidentally, the same type of music I was listening to that day. Coming down from the mine the focus got knocked out of whack or you would've heard me cranking 'Back in Black' which happened to be on the radio at the time.

I was going to go for a 'techno' vibe (Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Dirty Vegas), but I didn’t have enough of the right tracks to fill the video.

I guess I won't be using Drownig Pool's 'Bodies' any time soon. laugh

#612197 - 09/03/07 12:41 PM Re: A note to people making videos
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
I can't help thinking that I'm one of the 'bad ass rock music' guys that Kaiser is talking about. wink

I sure hope I'm not! [Uh Oh !]
VIDEO

:p

#612198 - 09/03/07 01:12 PM Re: A note to people making videos
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think there are a ton of amateur mistakes in the typical videos...the music having no relation to the action, the action not having any, um, action, the camera angles making the steep hill climb look like flat ground, leaving in boring banter, etc...

I think its because they're more like taking snap shots than photojournalism...the snap shot version of the music video if you will...

If this were a movie making forum...I'm sure the off roaders in THAT forum would be complaining about the lack of realistic off road scenarios, despite the inspiring sound tracks and cinamatography, etc...

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#612199 - 09/03/07 01:49 PM Re: A note to people making videos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Me too? I asked for an honest critique, got nothing. So go ahead.....
Its strictly music.....
Click here to watch AllTerrainRiderscom

MGJ

#612200 - 09/03/07 10:18 PM Re: A note to people making videos
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
I enjoy taking music from movie scores for the vids that I've made. Most of the music from these vids are from Spy Game. Haven't made any in a while though.

Bachelor Run 2006 - WARNING... over 40min long and almost 100MB

Shiloh Ridge

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal