Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#30972 - 30/04/07 04:50 PM ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

...what kinda damage a loaded 18 wheeler would do if it rear-ended you at 10mph when you were stopped in a construction zone? Surprisingly not "much"...

linky

Was traveling from NEPA to Pittsburgh for my future sister-in-law's college graduation...hit a work zone near mile 226 on I-80W...stopped for 10 minutes waiting to move more than 10 feet at a time. Next thing I know...BOOM i'm lurching forward and then come to a stop. WHACK I'm lurching forward again and come to a stop...THWAP I'm lurching forward one more time and come to a stop.

For those of you keeping count, that was me getting rear-ended said tractor trailer three times. After I made sure my fiancee was ok I jump out and go see the driver. I started to lose my cool on the way back but then kept thinking shit happens...he's probably got his own problems....and hopefully he won't lose his job from me filing a claim for repairs. The "best" part of the whole thing...when he climbs down he asks if I'm ok and offers me $35 to "make it right." if I wouldn't file a claim. This guy was smoking some serious crack. My landlord runs a body shop and he gave me an estimate today for $623.32. Yup, $35....nice try.

The important thing is we're both ok and the truck driver is fine too obviously. The Xterra held up surprisingly well. We were considering taking her subaru back too, but had some furniture we wanted to bring from her mom's house so opted for the X. I'm sure we would've been fine in the subaru, but I think it would have sustained more damage. Not only do I love my truck, I am now thankful I own such a safe truck to protect myself and my loved ones.

#30973 - 30/04/07 05:00 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now take it to a Nissan Dealership and get a proper estimate - Probably something like $2000. Pocked the difference! smile

#30974 - 30/04/07 05:17 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

$35 for what? He was smoking something. That's just nuts. Glad you are both alright.

#30975 - 30/04/07 06:00 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, I will probably end up taking it to my local dealer for an estimate. I just wanted a professional opinion on it since we know how insurance companies work(heck, I work for one). They will probably tell me things don't need fixed when they do or give me non-OEM parts...

If my landlord is right(and it seems like he is b/c he came to the same conclusion as I did), I need a new bumper and brackets to mount the bumper b/c they are bent.

I agree dagger...my jaw literally dropped when he tried to hand me $35. I would love to hear his side of the story(and I'm sure I will). How can you hit someone 3 times in a construction zone when you were stopped for 10 minutes?

#30976 - 30/04/07 07:53 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

i say take the insurance money and use it towards a shrock bumper

#30977 - 01/05/07 03:34 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya the X's hold up real well, my friend got rearended inher '07 yesterday in a construction zone and the taurus that hit her needs alot more work (radiator, hood, lights, pretty much everything else associated with that) she needs a new bumper and a new Gym Class Heroes sticker and thats it

#30978 - 01/05/07 04:14 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by reddevil07:
i say take the insurance money and use it towards a shrock bumper
+1

#30979 - 01/05/07 06:12 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SLVR_00_NM:
Ya the X's hold up real well, my friend got rearended inher '07 yesterday in a construction zone and the taurus that hit her needs alot more work (radiator, hood, lights, pretty much everything else associated with that) she needs a new bumper and a new Gym Class Heroes sticker and thats it
The front end is made to vrumble upon impact in any car. If you look at rearend collision of two sedans, for example, you will see that the one who is collided INTO fares a lot better than the one doing the hitting. This is also due to front end diving under braking, thus putting the hood, lighs and so forth right in the line of fire, so to speak.

#30980 - 01/05/07 06:14 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by StudlyDego73:
[QBTHWAP I'm lurching forward one more time and come to a stop.
[/QB]
Twat!? Twat you say!? I cun't hear you. I have an infuction in my ear!

#30981 - 01/05/07 07:29 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Time for a Shrock Rear Bumper. LOL. Glad you were not seriously hurt. Idiots in big rigs. Kind of creepy.

#30982 - 01/05/07 08:36 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

+2 on the shrock bumper. Glad your ok though. There are some seriously stupid people out there!!!

#30983 - 02/05/07 05:18 PM Re: ever wonder...
Anonymous
Unregistered

heh...I was waiting for the Shrock replies. Took a little longer than I expected...estimate is only for 623 so it wouldn't cover the bumper....although i do need a hitch...so that makes it very tempting

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal