Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4143 - 16/05/07 05:14 PM shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am ready for my next evolution of my x and I have a question on the shrockworks slider.
Since I dont have the opportunity to see one firsthand, and photos are not that clear to me, what I want to know, is this.
I am tall, and dont really use my stock side rails now, for either getting in or out, but the wife is a shorty, and she must have the side rails.
If I replace with the sliders they seem to be curved upwards. Am I seeing this wrong? , because if they are any higher then the stock ones, the wife might have a problem.
Also, do they stick out further? That would be a plus, as the nissan ones, as you know dont stick out so much.
Also, if I understand it, after installing the sliders, I can use the hi lift right on the slider, and lift the entire side on x at once, and this would definatley facilitate changing a tire or rotating tire?
One further question. I notice there is a 25 dollar option to get the additional supporting bracket on the slider. Why would one not get it? and if so, why doesnt it just come standard with it, since its suppossed to be a heavy duty option?

Much thanks for all my questions and stay safe.

#4144 - 17/05/07 06:09 AM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

They don't stick out much and they do slope up. So there is not a lot of room to get a foot in there, but they do function as steps if need be. They are quite slick, so stepping on them with muddy shoes may not be the best idea. You can add a non skid surface or bed line them to make them more grippy. They are not as good as a step as the Nissan side rails, but they are made to protect the rocker panel of the X which is quite vulnerable to damage on anything but the mildest of trails. The Nissan steps won't help much in that department.

They are the first thing I would do if you start taking it on the trails.

Also like the stock steps, if you've muddied up the X, you have to watch your pant leg when you get out.

You can jack up the vehicle by the side rails, but Hi-lifting anything is usually not the best way to do it. There are attachments for the Hi-Lift to make it work better on tubing, but there is always the risk of the jack sliding down the slider at the worst possible time. And if the jack falls, it will likely damage the side of the X. In the garage, I would use a floor jack or bottle jack and jack stands. On the trail, I'll use a bottle jack (backed up by the stock scissor jack)first and the Hi-Lift only when absolutely necessary.

But when you need a Hi-Lift, nothing else will work.

-Old Army

#4145 - 17/05/07 08:38 AM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for such a complete and definitive response to my query. It is much apprecited.

Stay safe

#4146 - 17/05/07 06:00 PM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought the extra support bracket. I have no idea why someone would not want it, or why it is offered as an option versus being standard equipment.

I agree with Old Army, you don't want to jack the X up by the sliders unless you absolutely have to. The frame rails are your best bet.

#4147 - 20/05/07 04:50 AM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ordered mine bare metal and coated them with Line-X, it helps when shorter folks need a step in but is still slick when muddy (duh). Also had them tack welded and the guy that did this for me wrote down the shrockwork info so he could order a set for his jeep.

#4148 - 25/05/07 04:32 PM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by High4:
I ordered mine bare metal and coated them with Line-X, it helps when shorter folks need a step in but is still slick when muddy (duh). Also had them tack welded and the guy that did this for me wrote down the shrockwork info so he could order a set for his jeep.
Hey,

I am thinking about the same mod. How much did it cost you to Line-X them? I am thinking of putting Line-X on the sliders and the rocker panels.

#4149 - 26/05/07 04:44 AM Re: shrockworks slider question
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was $140 for the lining, installation (which I helped with and took about 45 minutes), and tack welding. He did a great job and told me that he coated them twice, which you could tell prior to installation due to the thickness which was apparant at the bolt holes.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal