2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#631221 - 28/05/07 09:46 PM Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

About time to replace my 6 year old Pioneer receiver in an eventual path to upgrade my home theater setup. I would like HDMI switching (and up conversion would be nice too). I would also be interested in a future 7.1 setup, but 6.1 would also do the trick. Also partial to Sony, but not married to them either. I would like to spend no more than 500 bucks on the receiver(preferably around 300-350).

So I'm thinking

Sony STR-DG810

or even the Sony STR-DG910 when it is fully available,but it's at the upper limit of my range.

What else to be concerned about? HMDI 1.3?

#631222 - 29/05/07 07:16 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you'd be able to get away with 6.1 for the next 5-7 years, at least. Very few movies are encoded in that, if any. Even the HD movie formats are still typically 5.1, so I don't really see 6.1 or 7.1 taking over the standard anytime soon.

As for the HDMI switch... Just do a LOT of research before you commit to one. Personally, I wouldn't buy a major component (ie, receiver) nowadays if it isn't software upgradeable for the HDMI plug. They've been really "good" so far about not giving a rats arse to backwards compatibility... The standard technically is, but the different companies that make the hardware don't put as much effort to make sure. So you very well could end up with an HDMI switch in your reciever that won't recognize future equipment. Very not cool.

Is there any reason the HDMI switch is a requirement for 'ya? I know it'd be nice to have, but for the price range you're looking at, I just wouldn't trust 'em. You'll end up getting a receiver that boasts a lot of capabilities, only to fall short in most of them.

I won't give you my typical speech about Sony electronics, since you seem married to them; brand loyalty is hard to shake out of people. But I would recommend you at least look at some other brands, specifically Onkyo, HK, and Denon. A lot of times, by going with "last year's model", you can save a buttload, and have a much better made receiver than a typical consumer brand (like Sony).

Also, don't read too much into the Watts a receiver puts out. That number varies by brand, and the lower consumer grade companies (sony...) like to advertise peak power, and not the average. Not to mention their peak power usually comes with serious distortions and interferences. So the better brands may be rated lower on the box, you will still end up with a clearer sound at louder levels.

My older HK receiver is *only* a 55w per channel system, but it's clear as a bell even when it's cranked up all the way, which is still way more than what my living room can handle, regardless... I usually have it cranked no greater than around 50%, as any louder tends to attract Police...

Models I would seriously look at in your price range:

Onkyo TXSR605, TXSR505
Denon AVR 1507, AVR 1707

#631223 - 29/05/07 07:59 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Ditto what porsche966 said. Do you want a receiver that has all the latest bells and whistles so you can tell your friends about it, or do you want a receiver that will give you solid, reliable performance for the long term that your eyes and ears will appreciate?

My newest receiver is a Denon AVR-4306, and it is amazing, although not quite in your target price range. I would wholeheartedly recommend looking at Denon. I have also had very good luck with Yamaha in the past. If you buy off the internet, be careful who you buy from. Many of the "lowball" merchants are not factory-authorized dealers, and the manufacturer will not honor the warranty for equipment purchased from them. Many of the lowball merchants offer their own extended warranties, however. They may be legit, or they may disappear in a week when the merchant's website goes offline. Buyer beware. It certainly wasn't the cheapest option around, but I ended up buying from Crutchfield for this reason. They offer great customer service, as well.

#631224 - 29/05/07 09:12 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Yamaha makes great stuff too. The unit I have is this one.
Yamaha RX-V657

I looked at a Denon unit similar in price at a local Tweeter and listened to them side by side on the the same speakers and I thought the Yahama was the better of the two, but I don't recall the model of the Denon unit.

It looks like the new version of this unit is this one.

It got a great review and cost under $500.

Another good site for info is this one.

AVS Forum

This looks like the new version of the one I have.

RX-V659
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#631225 - 29/05/07 01:41 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I've been watching this thread .

The 705 has my name on it.

#631226 - 29/05/07 07:26 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got an 'old' (5 years) H&K av reciever that I love.

#631227 - 29/05/07 08:23 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm investing in the Onkyo TX-SR804 at the end of the week once the money from the sale of my old house ends up in the bank. A little above your $500 price range at $650 on Amazon, but after hearing my friends combined with some relatively cheap speakers I'm sold.

I have an account with http://www.dbldistributing.com/ and can get the JVC RX-D702B for $540 (If you're interested), which also gets some solid reviews from the AV magazines.

#631228 - 29/05/07 08:40 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
...after hearing my friends combined with some relatively cheap speakers...
If you need speakers, see if your local Circuit City has any Infinity Primus speakers left. I got a complete surround setup for right at $500 (150 for therears, 250 for the fronts and the C25 for the center).

They sound incredible - and that's with my crappy $100 Sony receiver that barely puts out 35 watts per channel. I can't wait to get some good, clean power behind 'em!

#631229 - 30/05/07 09:54 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]...after hearing my friends combined with some relatively cheap speakers...
If you need speakers, see if your local Circuit City has any Infinity Primus speakers left. I got a complete surround setup for right at $500 (150 for therears, 250 for the fronts and the C25 for the center).

They sound incredible - and that's with my crappy $100 Sony receiver that barely puts out 35 watts per channel. I can't wait to get some good, clean power behind 'em![/b]
Awesome. I budgeted about $1000 for speakers, so if I can get that kinda deal for $500 I'd be happy. I kinda want big floor standing front channels, will have to check the Infinity Primus.

#631230 - 30/05/07 07:58 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Awesome. I budgeted about $1000 for speakers, so if I can get that kinda deal for $500 I'd be happy. I kinda want big floor standing front channels, will have to check the Infinity Primus.
Well, the Primus line was discontinued - so you may not find any. I know my local CC has the C25 and a few others in stock still - or they did.

#631231 - 05/06/07 02:50 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ordered my receiver on Friday - Onkyo TX-SR804, picked up my Athena speakers lunchtime from a local wholesale distributor.

Went with:

Front
Athena AS-B1.2

Center
Athena AS-C1.2

Sub
Athena AS-P4100

Rears
Bic - DV5-B

All in receiver, speakers and some 14 AWG speaker cable I'm looking at about $1100 - Hope it sounds good! smile

#631232 - 05/06/07 04:46 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
You should really enjoy those Athena speakers. They pack an enormous bang for the buck! As with all quality loudspeakers, you should give them some "break in" time to get fully up to speed. Put a CD on repeat when you leave the house, and leave the stereo on at a moderate volume. After 25-50 hours of use, the speakers should sound significantly different than when they were unboxed. They will be much more realistic and lively, and less tight and tinny sounding.

#631233 - 05/06/07 04:56 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read some good things about the Athena. I had a few different brands to choose from at the Wholesaler, including Bic, JBL, Bose and a few other more expensive brands. I guess Athena are now owned by Klipsch, which can't be to bad. Receiver doesn't arrive from Amazon until Thursday, so I might hook them up to my old Sony POS receiver for the break in. Then come Thursday they should be ready to rock & roll

#631234 - 05/06/07 09:02 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

I know nothing about the Athena's, but they sound like good speakers.

I was amazed at the difference when I hooked my Infinity's up - night and day, even with my underpowered cheap lower end Sony receiver...

Oh yeah, if you want to give your system a little more oomph -

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/

Search for threads about them on avsforum.com....

#631235 - 06/06/07 07:24 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I know nothing about the Athena's, but they sound like good speakers.

I was amazed at the difference when I hooked my Infinity's up - night and day, even with my underpowered cheap lower end Sony receiver...

Oh yeah, if you want to give your system a little more oomph -

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/

Search for threads about them on avsforum.com....
avsforum.com is an awesome resource for reviews etc. That's where I read a bunch about the Athena speaker setup I ended up with. Quite a few people on there running them.

I plugged just the Sub into my sony receiver last night, then played a few mins of Band of Brothers for some good Gun Shots / Explosions. Even with my old Sony Front / Center is sounded 20x better with the Athena Sub handling the bass.

#631236 - 06/06/07 08:21 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

Quote:
I plugged just the Sub into my sony receiver last night, then played a few mins of Band of Brothers for some good Gun Shots / Explosions. Even with my old Sony Front / Center is sounded 20x better with the Athena Sub handling the bass.
It's pretty amazing, eh? I forgot to mention I had some crappy KLH speakers that were bundled with my receiver that I replaced with my Infinities. Was night and day.

Enjoy 'em! I'm always amazed at how many people spend big bucks on a TV but totally neglect sound...

#631237 - 08/06/07 10:16 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Receiver arrived yesterday and I set it up last night. I'm so impressed with the Athena speakers I just ordered the Athena WS-15 rears and am taking the Bics back. Will need plenty of tweaking and cable management this weekend to get this thing running properly smile

If anyone is interested in a similar speaker setup. I have an account with the wholesaler dbldistributing.com and can get the products drop shipped to your door at Wholesale price. Just let me know and I'll hook you up at cost. For a full 5.1 Athena speaker system with stands cost me under $600

#631238 - 08/06/07 11:02 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Talk about jealous! I wish I wasn't renting a stupid townhouse(though it is nice) and owned my home so I could finish off my basement for the home theater of my dreams! Oh well...I can wait another 2 years or so...

Enjoy the setups! They sound great(no pun intended)!

#631239 - 13/06/07 09:50 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Receiver arrived yesterday and I set it up last night. I'm so impressed with the Athena speakers I just ordered the Athena WS-15 rears and am taking the Bics back. Will need plenty of tweaking and cable management this weekend to get this thing running properly smile

If anyone is interested in a similar speaker setup. I have an account with the wholesaler dbldistributing.com and can get the products drop shipped to your door at Wholesale price. Just let me know and I'll hook you up at cost. For a full 5.1 Athena speaker system with stands cost me under $600
Sounds like a great set up. How do you like the sub?

#631240 - 13/06/07 10:57 AM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Love the sub. They do an 800W Sub too, but I think the 400 is plenty.

#631241 - 13/06/07 05:15 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

that's cool Rinky. I may have to hit you up on your offer. I'm due for a new speaker setup.

What is a LS-500 pair running?

#631242 - 13/06/07 06:19 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
that's cool Rinky. I may have to hit you up on your offer. I'm due for a new speaker setup.

What is a LS-500 pair running?
Ooooooo - those look nice. $179.99 each, so $360 for the pair + Shipping of course.

UPS Ground Residential Shipping $30.88

#631243 - 15/06/07 12:41 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
DocNo Offline

How much for a powered sub-woofer?

#631244 - 15/06/07 02:31 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll take some LSi15's laugh

anyone have $1100 they don't want?

#631245 - 15/06/07 05:47 PM Re: Who knows A/V receivers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
How much for a powered sub-woofer?
The 400W Athena AS-P4100 is $157.99 which I have.

Up to $559.99 for the Pinnacle 8" Dual 800-Watt Powered Acoustic Suspension Subwoofer.

With some cheaper models and some in between. Depends what you are looking for really.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal