Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#598712 - 25/06/07 08:35 AM tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyone else here from tahoe?? I cant believe this is happening... already burned 3 peoples homes I know. frown

#598713 - 25/06/07 10:55 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

The photos they're showing are horrible. Is your home in any danger? Man, we're getting soaked here - I'll pray to have some rain sent your direction. Take care.

#598714 - 25/06/07 11:22 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Down the road from you East of Carson. Have some buds that live in Myers off of South Upper Truckee. Very scary. The smoke plume is going over our area. Already sparked small fires West of us (Carson) and East of us (Fallen). Drove up to the Lake yesterday-horrible. Hope you are safe.

#598715 - 25/06/07 11:40 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

The article I saw this morning said 220 homes have been consumed. That sucks.

#598716 - 25/06/07 12:13 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, my high school is officially on fire... luckily the winds arent too bad right now, but containment is next to nothing. the forest service is expecting 700 more fire fighters by tonight... my house isnt in direct danger as it stands right now (no pun intended). but my neighbors down the road received evaction standby notices, and 4 of my friends houses have been destroyed near angora lakes. this is absolute chaos up here... cell service is all tied up too.

some pics

#598717 - 25/06/07 02:10 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel your pain and know exactly how you feel. When the Hayman Fires hit I didnt like that I could sit on the deck and watch the mountain ridge glow at night.

If you have not already done it pack a box of things YOU DO NOT WANT TO EVER LOOSE. Family stuff, pictures and such. Wind can change things fast.

Best of luck and keep us updated. [ThumbsUp]

#598718 - 25/06/07 09:46 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel for you. Wildfires can be very unpredictable.
Been through it twice: Southern California in the early 90's (where I woked for Public Works in Orange County so I was up front a close) and Colorado in the early 2000's: just not something I'd want to get close to again.
Pack irreplaceable stuff now, while you have a clear head: you're less likely to forget something.
Good luck!

#598719 - 26/06/07 11:09 PM Re: tahoe fire
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
My buddy's house is about a mile from the flames...opposite the airport, over on Pioneer Trail. He's a little nervous... [Uh Oh !]

#598720 - 26/06/07 11:24 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

ya i know the feeling we had the cerro grande fire here in 2000...total chaos, lost hundreds upon hundreds of homes and tens of thousands acres.

we still havent fully recovered

but ive never met nicer people than the ones that were stuck in hotels well we were all evacuated.

good luck. ill save a drop or two of rain for ya...

#598721 - 27/06/07 06:17 AM Re: tahoe fire
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I sure wish we could send you some of our rain. we have had 17 inches of rain fall in the past 24 hrs.

#598722 - 27/06/07 10:20 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

God luck, man.

#598723 - 27/06/07 11:07 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Chia:
I sure wish we could send you some of our rain. we have had [b]17 inches of rain fall in the past 24 hrs.[/b]
Are you sure lol?

Anyways brush fires are nasty and I hope the winds blow in your favor.

#598724 - 27/06/07 11:50 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inherent risks of living in paradise, unfortunately. I've fought these suckers...my thoughts are with the firefighters...that's ASS BUSTING work.

#598725 - 27/06/07 11:56 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerKidzFTW:
Quote:
[b]I sure wish we could send you some of our rain. we have had [b]17 inches of rain fall in the past 24 hrs.[/b]
Are you sure lol?

Anyways brush fires are nasty and I hope the winds blow in your favor.[/b]
Damn I just checked weather.com, and holy hell it is raining in TX. I hope some comes your way man.

#598726 - 27/06/07 12:24 PM Re: tahoe fire
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GingerKidzFTW:
Quote:
[b]I sure wish we could send you some of our rain. we have had [b]17 inches of rain fall in the past 24 hrs.[/b]
Are you sure lol?

Anyways brush fires are nasty and I hope the winds blow in your favor.[/b]
No actually it was 19.5 inches since 11 last night.

#598727 - 27/06/07 12:53 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

Huge brush fires are ONE thing we don't worry about very much here. I hope you all make out ok though. As a firefighter myself I DEF. feel for those out there fighting the brush also.

#598728 - 27/06/07 01:31 PM Re: tahoe fire
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
No actually it was 19.5 inches since 11 last night.
Holy @#%!, dude.

Time to start building...

#598729 - 27/06/07 01:40 PM Re: tahoe fire
Big Daddy Chia Offline

This is onbe of our rivers. The second pic is the park the river flows next to. This river is actually 2 forks that merge together where the park is. Funny thing is the north forck of the river is controlled by the damn and the only reason its flooded is because of the south fork of the river.

#598730 - 27/06/07 02:13 PM Re: tahoe fire
Firebraun Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
The Angora Fire is burning in California, basically on the south and west edge of the city of South Lake Tahoe, California.

I'm a firefighter in Reno. I was off duty this weekend so I missed the opportunity to go. Kind of a mixed blessing, hate to miss the big ones, but hate to be gone for a week busting your ass, too.

In any case, Nevada sent a ton of resources, all requested about 45 minutes into the fire at approximately 3:00 Sunday afternoon. My department alone sent three Type 1 structure engines and three Type 3 (heavy) brush engines. They are all still there.

Latest report I saw is:

3100 acres
45% contained
2000+ people evacuated
225 structures destroyed, 178 of which were homes.

Two forest service firefighters got burned-over yesterday. They survived by getting into their fire shelters. They were in those things with fire all around them for 45 minutes. They've got to be the luckiest bastards alive...

Bottom line. This summer is going to be wildfire hell. It's like "the perfect storm" for brush/forest fires all over the west. Live-fuel moisture's are lower than they've ever been since they started taking them in the 1950's.

Global warming means more windy days (same effect that has the gulf coast having more hurricanes than ever before), and stronger winds on those windy days. Winds at the fire are expected to reach 15 to 25 mph by this afternoon, with gusts of 40 mph. That fire isn't going out anytime soon.

Be careful when you're out off roading. NO cig butts out the window. NO campfires, (take a small propane grill). If you're into riding quad's, make damn sure you've got a good, legal spark arrester on the muffler.

And have a cell phone with you, in case all of this doesn't get the job done, so you can get it reported and the troops coming fast. If we can get a ton of resources on these things when they're still small, we've got a chance. If not, all bets are off.

This is NOT going to be the biggest/worst fire in the Sierra this summer, you can bet on that.

Anyway, play safe out there!

#598731 - 27/06/07 02:51 PM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

OMG, 45 mins in one of those little shelters....that would SUCK!

For those that don't know, they look like tin foil, but they're made of fire retardent material...you unfold them, step in, pull them around you and hit the deck. In almost all burnovers with those things, you at the very least get residual burns around your arms if the fire is on the ground.

I can't imagine being in one of those things for more than 15 minutes, let alone 45.

#598732 - 28/06/07 08:56 AM Re: tahoe fire
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for all the support [ThumbsUp] luckily the fire is not headed my way (yet anyway) as I am just slightly south of meyers. The winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon though and in my direction, so this thing aint over yet...

i hope noone here lives on the north end of n upper truckee... lots of houses are gone. frown the fire clipped a huge portion of the area (map below). unfortunatly most of the people living in this part of tahoe are full-time locals and a lot of them lost their only houses... it really sucks. more updates to come... ill try to get some pics up later.

a ghetto map i made of housing section pretty much destroyed on n upper truckee

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal