Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#586328 - 10/09/07 08:23 AM Swimmers Ear
warlock Offline

Loc: Springfield VA
Any advise...this moring my ear was in pain muffled hearing.
went to frederick hospital got some antibiotics and ear drops.
funny thing is i have not even gone swimming.

Just wondering if anybody had it, what do you do to cure it and how long it took for recovery.

#586329 - 10/09/07 08:41 AM Re: Swimmers Ear
Trihead Offline

Loc: Austin Texas
I have been swimming competitively for about 25 years now and have had it a few dozen times. What kind of drops did they give you? It should be better in a week or so depending on how bad it is.

#586330 - 10/09/07 10:53 AM Re: Swimmers Ear
warlock Offline

They gave me a baush and lomb Neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfates and Hydrocortisoone otic solution USP

Amoxicillin 500mg

and hydrocodone-apap5-500

just reading from the bottles

correct me if im wrong it takes a week but when do you get most of your hearing back? what drive me nuts is the muffled sound.

Thanks

#586331 - 10/09/07 02:23 PM Re: Swimmers Ear
jaws_o_life Offline

Loc: RVA
Swimmer's Ear is the layman's term often applied for Otitis Externa; an outer ear infection. The medications you've be prescribed are acting on the malady in three ways:

Hydrocodone is to offer some pain control and act as an antipyretic (fever control, if you have one).

Neomycin is a combination antibiotic/antiinflammatory suspension. It will help treat the causitive organism and decrease the inflammation in the area.

The Amoxicillin is another antibiotic to attack the causitive bug.

The timeliness with which your hearing will return depends directly on the severity of infection and inflammation you have. The less of both, the quicker the return to normal. The inverse is also true.

Be careful with your use of cutips in the future. Many swimmer's ear cases in adults are caused by aggresive ear cleaning...not to mention swimming in the Anacostia River wink

#586332 - 11/09/07 05:17 AM Re: Swimmers Ear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some other symptoms of swimmer's ear are the desire to shave your body hair and wear super tight bikini shorts.

laugh

#586333 - 11/09/07 04:55 PM Re: Swimmers Ear
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have gotten it a couple times and never owned a pool or even swam much, usually from showering and water got in. I new it was coming because of the swishing of water sound when you put your head up and down, A couple of drops of rubbing alcohol in the ear then tip your head the other way with a cottonball to get the alcohol out dries the water right up.

I can sympathize with the ear aches, they are a real bitch.

#586334 - 12/09/07 05:10 AM Re: Swimmers Ear
warlock Offline

Thanks guys, just learned also a lesson yesterday. I fell down the stairs twisted my ankle yesterday.
forgot that loosing your hearing also means loosing some of your balance.

its so irritating to hear muffled sounds. I have set a follow up visit to my doctor next week.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal