Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15592 - 28/08/07 01:49 PM Buyer's inspection -- dealer or independent?
babyX Offline

I've been thinking for awhile about selling my truck, and it just so happens that my brother-in-law is interested in buying it. Yay! So, I want to have it inspected to make sure he won't need new brakes a week after driving off in it. Question is, do I go with the dealer or an independent shop? It's not covered under warranty anymore, and part of me worries that the dealership might come up with things that need to be fixed that don't *really* need to be fixed, y'know?

I could do both inspections for about $65, and I'm leaning more in that direction.

Thoughts? How thorough would the dealership's inspection be?

#15593 - 28/08/07 04:17 PM Re: Buyer's inspection -- dealer or independent?
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
Let your brother-in-law arrange the inspection with the shop of his choice.

As to where to go, it really depends on the mechanic. I've run across idiots at dealerships AND at independent shops. Just make sure the inspector understands the reason you are bringing the truck in and that this is NOT going to result in any $$$ to him except for the inspection itself. Maybe that will get you an honest answer.

#15594 - 28/08/07 10:14 PM Re: Buyer's inspection -- dealer or independent?
shiner Offline

Loc: tx
not sure where you're located, but i've used these guys when looking at used cars. pricey, but worth it. if not in your area, maybe something similar.

http://www.lemonbusters.org

#15595 - 29/08/07 09:14 AM Re: Buyer's inspection -- dealer or independent?
babyX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by shiner:
not sure where you're located, but i've used these guys when looking at used cars. pricey, but worth it. if not in your area, maybe something similar.

http://www.lemonbusters.org
I used to be in that area, but no more. I don't think I need a 600-point inspection on the truck. I'm the original owner and already know that it hasn't been in any accidents or floods.

My brother-in-law lives out of town and would only be able to come up on Sundays when dealerships and most mechanic shops are closed, so I'm having it done for him. He's ok with the dealership, but I'm inclined to go for the independent.

Maybe, just for fun, I'll do both. smile

#15596 - 06/11/07 08:06 AM Re: Buyer's inspection -- dealer or independent?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Don't sell it to your brother-in-law.

Read the above, then if you go ahead and do it anyway, when the first problem rears its head (as it inevitably will someday) or the second problem or the third and it sours your relationship, then think back and say to yourself, "Wow, BlueSky is wise."

I've been fortunate. My daughter bought my previous vehicle and though it has been a disaster, she is a mature young lady and it has not affected our relationship at all.

How bad is that car? If I hit the Lotto one day, I will first buy her a new car then take a pickax, sledgehammer, and flamethrower to that pathetic POS that Dodge built and called the 2000 Intrepid. mad

Unless you're VERY confident about the strength of your relationship with your B-I-L, do NOT sell him your truck.

ETA: As to your question ( laugh ) the best answers are 1) Let your bro-in-law take it to his own choice of shops as recommended by a previous poster or 2) take it to an independent you trust. Most dealerships will hose you from every direction if you give 'em a chance.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal