2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31713 - 14/11/07 12:43 PM Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've done a search through the forums and haven't found much info posted recently about Tellico OHV trails in Murphy, NC. I'm hoping to get one last vacation in this year before my job ends (the plant I work at is shutting down at year's end so I'm soon to be unemployed). I used to camp, kayak and mountainbike in the Nantahala area for many years but now that I have my X, I'd like to give Tellico a try. Anybody been there relatively recent? I'm having a hard time finding info on the net other than basic trail info but it is all dated information (some hasn't been updated since 2000).

If anybody has some links I could check out or pictures or pointers it would be greatly appreciated. I'm driving bone stock other than a few last minute mods when I get there (drop the siderails and swaybars). Hoping to get a few buddies and their rigs to tag along and if anyone else would like to meet and ride that would be welcomed as well.

Thanks guys/gals.

#31714 - 14/11/07 11:14 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well scratch this idea. I've been informed that the trails at Tellico are beyond the abilities of a stock Xterra so I guess I need to hunt up another destination. If any moderators come across this... feel free to delete this post.

#31715 - 15/11/07 10:52 AM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was looking over the info on it and I think you should give it look-see. I have been offroading in my stock X here in Oregon in the Tillamook Forest and there are a lot of trails rated moderate and they can be done. Assuming they rate the trails about the same then you should not have too much troubles. Try a few of the easy trails and then go from there.

#31716 - 15/11/07 12:23 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Yo Drake, our off-road trails are rated "generally" at No's 1 thru 10, with 1 being easy, a car can go and 10 being DRASTIC/EXTREME--

--find out what the ratings in this area are--

--The stock Xterra can usually take 1 thru 3 without damage to side bars (steps), mud flaps go at the first twig--

--For ratings 4,5, and 6 the stock Xterra can go with CAREFUL KNOWLEDGEBLE driving and "sliders/skidplates/4wd--

--a gentle foot is REQUIRED !!!

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#31717 - 15/11/07 12:29 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
A stock X would do fine in Tellico, as long as the driver was really good. smile

If your driving skills are anything under 'WOW' I'd avoid using a stock X, unless you don't mind a lot of dents, dings, scratches and breaks.

Look up Coal Creek in Oliver Springs TN. Also check out noas4x4club.com.

#31718 - 15/11/07 12:46 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys. I've got several years of off-roading experience but it has been with Blazers and Jeeps. Still getting a feel for my X but I'm loving it more and more everyday. I'm not above saying "I don't think so" and pulling the chicken-card. [LOL] It's not that I don't think I can do it. I just don't have the money for extensive repairs if I trash it so I'm really light on the foot... for now. [LOL]

I'm looking into Morris Mountain and Summertown as well now and I'll definitely give Coal Creek a look.

I'm not looking to go out and amaze myself and push the limits. I'm just wanting an easy weekend trip and get a little dirty with my X and some friends.

I appreciate the 411 [Smoking]

#31719 - 15/11/07 03:33 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
BurgPath Offline

Oh I'm sure an X can do Tellico and have a good time but your going to need to be lifted, have some armour and be willing to accept a few dents. smile

Look at local Nissan clubs, they can offer more 'local' info.

#31720 - 15/11/07 06:22 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Whatever you end up doing - try not to wheel alone... oh - and a locker will help immensely (I'm almost to the point of recommending this as a first mod... it makes all that dangerous wheel spinning go away and makes the truck SOOOO much better)

#31721 - 15/11/07 11:16 PM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh I've already managed a few dents and scratches but I am not planning to do too much testing of the X just yet. I'm about to be jobless so if I break anything on it... it's just gonna have to stay broke for a while and I can't have that.

I am seriously considering a locker as my 2nd mod. The first mod is a BL and new tires. But again... all mods are postponed for now.

As for clubs... they are few and far between around here. They all have bylaws requiring attendance at their meetings and with my "current" work schedule I can't attend them. Plus the majority of them are jeepers only. I've looked into the Southeastern Xterra Frontier Club but their site hasn't been active in ages so I'm not even sure they are still around.

#31722 - 16/11/07 06:06 AM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
The SXFC is alive and well if you check their forum ( HERE ) - they just need to update the front page (it's easy to let that get waaay out of date - our swxc front page is no better).

#31723 - 16/11/07 07:26 AM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
BurgPath Offline

And theres NOAS as well.
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#31724 - 16/11/07 09:44 AM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just applied to both of those clubs. YES!!! More stickers! [LOL]

#31725 - 18/11/07 07:00 AM Re: Wheelin' in Tellico
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last time I had my jeep at tellico I did a load of watching. And broke an axle...Really if you don't have 38's now you're only gonna make a few trails. And by trails I mean dirt roads. Upper 2, School bus, peckerwood connector, slick rock are all 38's territory.

On the flip side I was the only jeep in our group of 6 that managed guardrail without winching.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal