Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#31149 - 13/12/07 06:48 PM Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

So i've looked around the forums abunch now, but wanted to throw this out there anyway...
My bumper just recently was pushed up abit by the bush bar i had on it, and it also forced the grill up abit. Body shops are saying the brackets and all that stuff behind it are probably bent, and needs to be taken off and straighten, maybe the rebar on the plastic bumper is bent abit too... Either way i'm thinking the minimum its gonna cost is 500 bucks and up to 1000 maybe worst case scenario...
The other option is ripping it all of and just throwing a steal one on there.
I've been lookin into the ARB and Calmini bumpers, the Calmini is actually 300 bucks cheaper here, so I'd like to consider that.
If i picked one up is the installation quite easy and simple once i take off the stock peices? Just bolts onto the frame, correct? Any input would be great, before i make up my mind, i know you guys know your stuff. I dont do alot of 4x4ing but would still like to consider the aftermarket bumper.
Thanks again.

#31150 - 13/12/07 06:53 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Calmini and ARB bumpers must be quite similar? I've seen a few pics, but if anyone has their own photos of their X's with these bumpers on that would be great to see...
Calmini comes a grey color and arb comes black?
Mines granite/pewter and its an 03, so maybe calmini would suite it abit more?

#31151 - 13/12/07 07:11 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Simple answer is Yes. Both bumpers will easily bolt into your X.

You also did the same thing as i did in bending the stock plastic garbage...by the time you get new parts and stuff getting the aftermarket bumper makes more sense.

Both products are great and you wont go wrong with either. Check around to see if you can get a good deal on a used unit..i have an ARB and only paid 500 for it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#31152 - 13/12/07 07:12 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

#31153 - 13/12/07 07:45 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in BC so is it recommended to just go through a shop then? I've talked to a few shops that sell these bumpers, there was one i think i'd prefer to deal with... They listed (before tax) ARB at $1050 and Calmini at $700 or so...
Shrockworks i'm assuming is abit more still? And I doubt i could find a used one around here, we'll see...
Has anyone found that with the aftermarket bumper it could be tougher to sell again? I wouldnt really think so, I have really no other mods.

#31154 - 13/12/07 07:57 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would check if the calmini is the shipped price. If it's not expect to pay another 250 to 400 dollars plus any custom fees.

#31155 - 13/12/07 09:34 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Wow.. that's a lot for the ARB! Especially when the Calmini and Shrockworks ones are made of thicker stronger steel.

Shrock and Calmini are similarly priced. Most go with the Shrock these days.

You can put it on yourself - it's not that difficult. Though you'll need a friend or two to help hold the thing while you bolt it on - they're very heavy.

The cool thing about the Calmini is that is comes with a badass skidplate that goes all the way down to the front crossmember (it's pretty tough to get the crossmember bolts out - an impact wrench helps). If you do offroad at all - or if you like to run over homeless people at high speed - it gives you some SERIOUS front-end protection.

#31156 - 14/12/07 06:50 AM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The Shrockworks bumper ALSO has a tough skid plate - they even make a plate for the ARB too.

laugh

If you don't off road, either bumper is good...

If you offroad, the Shrock overall, seems to be the better choice due to design, which allows a better approach angle, welded through braces and recovery points, etc.

There's no "wrong" Answer though.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#31157 - 14/12/07 06:59 AM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Click on my link of my xterra to see first gen style x with first gen style calmini bumper

#31158 - 14/12/07 06:42 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Kaiser Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Click on my link of my xterra to see first gen style x with first gen style calmini bumper
The newer ones have headlight hoops, though:

(note that I cut my front skidplate in half to make it work with the SAS... plus I modded the frame to mount the bumper 3" higher with the body lift)

#31159 - 14/12/07 07:15 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone had any problems with rust on the calmini bumper? Or the powder-coating?

#31160 - 14/12/07 07:46 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Kaiser Offline

yes - the powdercoat flaked off around the winch fairlead hole on mine and it rusted a bit... nothing a little dupli-color paint didn't fix tho (of course rust isn't a big concern in Texas like it is in the north - it forms slowly and doesn't do much damage unless you let it go unattended for a loong time)

#31161 - 15/12/07 12:35 AM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Between the ARB and the Calmini, the Calmini is stronger and uses thicker metal, but the powder coat tends to peel off most of their stuff, for most people...and the ARB's PC seems to hold up well.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#31162 - 17/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Northshore Offroad is in North Vancouver and carries the Shrock stuff

http://www.ns4x4.com/featureditems/shrockworks/

#31163 - 17/12/07 07:08 PM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well right now, im considering the ARB mostly becauase i dont want to get it powdercoated again and it sounds like the best quality vs. the calmini (shrockworks is just too much money i think) and i like how they are confident with the arb and airbags, calmini didnt make me feel to confident in that area with them.
I'm assuming ARB should be worth the 150 bucks extra it is compared to Calmini? and the several weeks less time id have to wait?
And they all seem to come in black i guess hey?
Anyone ever scotch theres up and spray it to match factory trim?

#31164 - 18/12/07 04:58 AM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

you could always just paint the plastic black to match the bumper. I think that the black plastic looks a lot better than the faded gray. In fact, I bought my shrock used and it is gray, but I am going to paint it and my plastic black cuz I like the look that much better, another reason is I already have black wheels and sliders.

#31165 - 18/12/07 07:17 AM Re: Question about arb/calmini bumper...
Anonymous
Unregistered

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal